First real ride... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

First real ride...

So, I took the new Brutale out for a longer spin today - about 125 miles. She was amazing. But, I have a few questions for you guys who've owned these things a little while.

First, why is the right side exhaust heat shield so far outboard? It makes it feel like the right foot peg is half as wide as the left! I'll have to fiddle around with it to move that shield inboard. Second, is it normal to have the throttle so snatchy just off-idle? The bike is smooth, and seems well fueled everywhere, except coming off-idle.

I need to fiddle with the suspension a bit, too. Seems like there's not enough rebound damping - had me going boing boing boing a few times.

Other than that...

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxlilbro View Post
So, I took the new Brutale out for a longer spin today - about 125 miles. She was amazing. But, I have a few questions for you guys who've owned these things a little while.

First, why is the right side exhaust heat shield so far outboard? It makes it feel like the right foot peg is half as wide as the left! I'll have to fiddle around with it to move that shield inboard. Second, is it normal to have the throttle so snatchy just off-idle? The bike is smooth, and seems well fueled everywhere, except coming off-idle.

I need to fiddle with the suspension a bit, too. Seems like there's not enough rebound damping - had me going boing boing boing a few times.

Other than that...
..and maybe a little too much compression damping? (that's how mine seems anyway)

What model Brutale do you have racerx?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Interesting - I knew that the 910's were pretty snatchy but I thought the 1090 was supposed to be ultra smooth...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 AM

It doesn't like being dawdled at less than 2200rpm. I have found selecting a gear that keeps the revs up or slipping the clutch in first gear will give a smooth result. It is definitely not a do anything, city crawl civilised bike like a UJM.
I suspect the suspension will need a few kms under the belt before altering anything, but the factory settings are definitely firm.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM

off idle snatchyness is normal for the brutale even the 1090 they never got rid of it, basically under 2k rpm is bad it wants to rev right from 1100 to 2200 rpm at the slightest after that its fine as you noticed.

and you will notice that its not that the right footpeg feels half as small as the left its that the left side peg when you put your foot against it will hit the swingarm when it it compresses a little with your heel.

but its a sweet bike once you get comfortable on it, you will really really like how it feels when you get it in some twisty roads its telepathic.

have fun
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM

If you move the pegs down a bit then the heat shield is less of an issue. At least that's what I found after I bought mine. You get used to it pretty soon. Others seem to think grippier pegs also help but I left mine standard. I needed to adjust the levers a bit too which also helped and it doesn't seem to deck out on the road. (Unless you are a GP hero )

The throttle is a bit 'in your face' at low revs but I quite like that drive right off the bottom of the rev range. A decent dealer can help smooth it out a bit but it is rather the nature of the beast I think.

Familiarity and few miles will make most of those bits more 'character' if you persevere.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Oh and as for the suspension well apparently your bike is much better than the earlier ones....

Mine's pretty awful on bumpy roads and is the next project!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Yup, I'm sure miles will be good for me, and the bike. The handling is sublime. I figure after the first service, I'll fiddle with damping a bit.

The comment about the throttle being all or nothing below 2,200 is spot on. But I also found that even at higher revs, the transition from closed throttle to open is pretty abrupt. Wondering if a power commander might smooth that out.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Yup, I'm sure miles will be good for me, and the bike. The handling is sublime. I figure after the first service, I'll fiddle with damping a bit.

The comment about the throttle being all or nothing below 2,200 is spot on. But I also found that even at higher revs, the transition from closed throttle to open is pretty abrupt. Wondering if a power commander might smooth that out.
The MV race ECU doesn't make the throttle response any smoother below 2000 rpm and the ECU removes all the emissions junk, above 2000 rpm the fueling is faultless, but in slow traffic the bike can be hard work.

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode