Brutale Ignition Problems - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Brutale Ignition Problems

Hi

Bike used to fire up almost immediately when pressing the start button. Now it cranks for a few seconds before it starts. It only starts after several attempts. This is draining battery power.

When the engine is warm @ +85 deg, it is impossible to start as the fans are working. I need to wait until temperature drops to -85. Sometimes it does not even crank. Very frustrating.

I recently changed spark plugs, installed a new battery, new SPU, new Microtech ECU and air filter from Chris - Xbikes who tells me ECU not the source of the problem - most probably an electrical/Battery fault.

All fuses are OK (new SPU), 40A fuses OK. Battery connections OK. Other wires look fine. Cleaned the ECU connectors so no problems there.

I removed the fuel tank to check the fuel connections. All seems to be working fine.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Where would be a good place to look for a solution?

Thank you and i look forward to your leads.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
It sounds like you battery. Even though the battery is new, maybe it's a dud.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Assuming the battery is not good (although it is only 1 week old and well charged).... if i use a well charged car battery to start the bike, it still cranks for several seconds before the engine starts.
This is unusual for me.

What normally causes this long cranking? Would it still be electrical or maybe fuel pump or something?
Everything seems to be in order but cant figure out where to look.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:43 AM

There is the new battery cables that solves the no crank issue. There's just a post about this recently. Search around, I'll post a link when not on my phone.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
did you install iridium plugs? If not, I suggest you go for those.

Hook up your voltmeter to the battery and hit the starter. Watch the battery voltage. If it drops below 10 volts either the battery is crap, the cables to the starter and engine have excessive resistance, or the starter itself has worn brushes and contaminated commutator grooves.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 AM

I would never use a car to jump start a bike...

John
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael ayache View Post
Hi

Bike used to fire up almost immediately when pressing the start button. Now it cranks for a few seconds before it starts. It only starts after several attempts. This is draining battery power.

When the engine is warm @ +85 deg, it is impossible to start as the fans are working. I need to wait until temperature drops to -85. Sometimes it does not even crank. Very frustrating.

I recently changed spark plugs, installed a new battery, new SPU, new Microtech ECU and air filter from Chris - Xbikes who tells me ECU not the source of the problem - most probably an electrical/Battery fault.

All fuses are OK (new SPU), 40A fuses OK. Battery connections OK. Other wires look fine. Cleaned the ECU connectors so no problems there.

I removed the fuel tank to check the fuel connections. All seems to be working fine.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Where would be a good place to look for a solution?

Thank you and i look forward to your leads.

Michael

This is only a remote possibility but...The bike hasn't been over filled with oil has it..Or, is there a problem with excessive crankcase pressure ?
joe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM

You need to play the process of elimination game, unplug the Microtec and put your original ECU back on and see if the problem is still there, then move onto the charging system.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM

"I recently changed spark plugs, installed a new battery, new SPU, new Microtech ECU and air filter from Chris - Xbikes who tells me ECU not the source of the problem" Did the problems start after doing this work?
What bike - How many miles - any service history? Was it a gradual Deterioration or was it a 'step function'
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Hi Totale

-Brutale 1078 purchased brand new 2 years ago
-regularly serviced as per manual
-last major service at 12000km
-currently at 13000km
-the cranking started after 12000km

i will work on the directions given in the replies to see what happens.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode