Ducati Rider thinking of MV Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Ducati Rider thinking of MV Brutale

Hi there
currently have a Ducati Monster 1000 that I rode 25k miles over 4 years.

The bike was maintained well and is running perfectly. Thought of a Streetfighter then settled on the new Diavel. Problem is that I ran into serious problems with the dealer at delivery - to the extent that I no longer feel comfortable buying another Ducati from this (and only) dealer

Rant done - MV Agusta has always been on my "list" - and reading up on the new Brutale 1090RR, it looks like an interesting option....

Questions
1) can I realistically use the MV for distance rides, 6,000 miles per 5 month season? How reliable is a well serviced MV? Could keep the Monster, "in case"...
2) being used to a Twin, how is the bottom end and mid-range on the 1090? Does it need lots of revs?
3) any other comments or advice?

Will probably change bikes very soon - either the Ducati (tail between my legs, not a good look....) or, maybe better, a brand new Brutale 1090...

Any advice is much appreciated....hard to come by info on a bike this exotic....Dukester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 AM

1)I've put 26k on my Brute in less than 4 years- and had a great time doing it. The bike can absolutely do it.
2)I came from an Aprilia Falco which had some nice low down grunt. The Brute is quicker and faster. It's not a twin, but it's very torquey for a four (and I'm talking about my 910), 6k rpm and it's really fun!
3) do it
Michael
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Hi there

Questions
1) can I realistically use the MV for distance rides, 6,000 miles per 5 month season? How reliable is a well serviced MV? Could keep the Monster, "in case"...
2) being used to a Twin, how is the bottom end and mid-range on the 1090? Does it need lots of revs?
I have a 1090 and have owned an M1000,

1090 is more comfortable, smoother and torque/performance wise will blow the Ducati into the weeds at any rpm, these 2 bikes are worlds apart in terms of performance. Only one issue, 1090 likes to drink petrol , best I have had from mine in just shy of 40 mpg, normally around 35 mpg. Ducati 50 mpg easily?

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
And the servicing at 4500 miles (for the MV) instead of 7500 miles for the Monster.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Established Member

Did 3.5 k on my 1090 in 5 months last year , i stll can't keep off it .

It is a little thirsty but the performance is out of this world.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, guys, much appreciated
Surprised to see see that low down grunt is that strong (+) and that MV's are ridden hard and long by quite a few riders (++). Too many Dukatis are 5 years old and have 1,500 miles on them, kind of like a trophy wife that doesn't get a workout....Thinking very seriously about the Brutale, amazing design, finish and amazing details that you discover he more you look at the bike. Test rides are not possible prior to purchase so I pretty much have to go with whatever feedback I can get from others - thanks again! Dukester (may have to change the name....)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys, much appreciated
Surprised to see see that low down grunt is that strong (+) and that MV's are ridden hard and long by quite a few riders (++). Too many Dukatis are 5 years old and have 1,500 miles on them, kind of like a trophy wife that doesn't get a workout....Thinking very seriously about the Brutale, amazing design, finish and amazing details that you discover he more you look at the bike. Test rides are not possible prior to purchase so I pretty much have to go with whatever feedback I can get from others - thanks again! Dukester (may have to change the name....)

BRUTSTER

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Hi there
currently have a Ducati Monster 1000 that I rode 25k miles over 4 years.

Questions
Two things:

1. There is one giant piece of advice that no one has stated: ride an MV. See what you think. It may be for you, it may not.

2. Dynamically, my Brutale (750) is nothing like a Ducati. The character is completely different, and it's also completely different from a Japanese four.

I've put a lot of miles on different Ducati motorcycles through the years and I love them. I've ridden many different models.

It's not that a Brutale is "better" or "worse", but it's very different.

That being said, I love my Brutale, but won't be selling a Ducati any time soon either.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Established Member

I have owned a few Ducatis. Here's my 2 cents. MV Brutale is a superior bike, but not without faults. I am willing to live with it for its coolness factor. Ducs are now a dime a dozen in my part of the US.

I made an involuntary (accident) switch from a M1000sie to a slightlu used Brutale S. Both are naked, Italian with trellis frames but this is where the commonality ends. The MV has a compact and upright seating position (read=comfortable for someone short, like me), much more power, and the best of all, much better handling. This is probably the best handling bike I have owned in my 30+ yrs of riding.

A few negatives. The seat is a bit high for my inseam even with the Sato Racing link, thirsty (30mpg/120 mi btw fill ups), expensive parts, twitchy throttle and no wind protection. The upright seating position makes it a bit painful on the super-slab. at least my Monster had a small fairings which helped a bit.

I am planning to remedy the last point this weekend. One of the fellow Brutale owner has given me a screen to try out (THANK YOU V10!!). http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/scre...ls/screen4.htm
Looking forward to see if this helps.

Lastly, can't complain about its build quality. No problem so far (7k in the first 12 mo of ownership)

2004 Brutale S
1998 VFR 800--gone
2012 Diavel--new
1993 900SS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Panaray; 04-23-2011 at 11:14 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaray View Post
I have owned a few Ducatis. Here's my 2 cents. MV Brutale is a superior bike, but not without faults. I am willing to live with it for its coolness factor. Ducs are now a dime a dozen in my part of the US.

I made an involuntary (accident) switch from a M1000sie to a slightlu used Brutale S. Both are naked, Italian with trellis frames but this is where the commonality ends. The MV has a compact and upright seating position (read=comfortable for someone short, like me), much more power, and the best of all, much better handling. This is probably the best handling bike I have owned in my 30+ yrs of riding.

A few negatives. The seat is a bit high for my inseam even with the Sato Racing link, thirsty (30mpg/120 mi btw fill ups), expensive parts, twitchy throttle and no wind protection. The upright seating position makes it a bit painful on the super-slab. at least my Monster had a small fairings which helped a bit.

I am planning to remedy the last point this weekend. One of the fellow Brutale owner has given me a screen to try out (THANK YOU V10!!). http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/scre...ls/screen4.htm
Looking forward to see if this helps.

Lastly, can't complain about its build quality. No problem so far (7k in the first 12 mo of ownership)

YOUR WELCOME!!

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode