New person questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

New person questions

Hi folks, I've been using this forum (congrats in a great forum) to gather information about MV's for a while now, and thought I'd "stick my head over the fence".

My situation is, I'm back on a bike after an extended absense due to time, family, etc... Due to the laws here, I've had to go back to the start, which means I'm on a restricted license, and thus bike. That ends later this year, so I've started to look at what next.

I was pretty much settled on a new Speed Triple, and then MV was "relaunched" in Oz.. Being 52, I have very fond memories of MV in their prime, and as the new distributor has seen fit to drop the prices, a new Brutale is now looming as a hot contender.

At this stage, my questions a very simple. The bike is purely a weekend toy, so absolute performance isn't paramount, and I think the Brutale will do anything I want, and more.

1) Do folks think the 1090 Brutale a good bike to step up to, or am I just asking for trouble? My concern is wheather it's "too much bike" for me at this stage. I've read a lot about the "animal" characteristics, and I'd rather make it my 3rd bike back, than throw it up the road because I over-rated my ability.

2) It seems that the standard mirrors and pegs are the subject of some "correction" by many. Is there a "best" option for these?

3) What are the quality brands of aftermarket add-ons for the Brutale?

4) What's the overall build quality like of the new Brutale's? And how common is it to need to use the warrantee?

5) For the other Aussies - given the small dealer network, how do you manage service & support issues. I'm on the north shore in Sydney, so Gosford would be closest - but clearly not convenient.

6) In Oz, what's usual wait for parts from MV. And how common is it for the dealers need to wait for parts? Or do they carry a pretty good inventory?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm trying to not let my head completely over-rule all logic.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Big Randaddy

Welcome BFI. Advice to consider: you'll get lots of really good input on your questions in the next day or two. In order to get the most out of it, be proactive and respond. Ask more questions if you need clarification, etc, and have fun. We've got some guys that really know what they are talking about, and they'll be along here soon.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Big Randaddy

.....but not yet.

My advice........if you like attention from pretty women, buy the Brutie. If you don't buy the F4 or something else. Chicks dig Brutie riders.....it's a scientific fact. Now, you're gonna get a lot of techno babble here soon, but if you think about it, I've told you all you really need to know.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
.....but not yet.

My advice........if you like attention from pretty women, buy the Brutie. If you don't buy the F4 or something else. Chicks dig Brutie riders.....it's a scientific fact. Now, you're gonna get a lot of techno babble here soon, but if you think about it, I've told you all you really need to know.
Thanks for that - I'll certainly be responding to all assistance and guidance.

You've raised a very interesting aspect of Brutale ownership that I wasn't aware of - the girlie factor.

The bike is definately a part of my hard earned mid-life crisis. I figured having the crisis sitting down (on a bike) was going to be much cheaper and less disruptive that having it lying down (somewhere else). I'm not sure whether that makes the Brutale a good idea, or a better idea.

Thanks again
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM

Hi BFI2906,
I dont see a problem with teh 1090RR overall it is a softer ride than the previous generations of Brutale ie the 1078RR and the 910R, they are trying to appeal to a bigger market of people hense the softening of the overall bike, my personal opinion is that the previous generation Brutes are the best and if you check my gallery you will see my fully tricked up 910R just about nothing is standard and the customizing becomes a bit of a sickness, the MV bikes just have something about them that makes you smile when riding them and the lines of the original Brute are to die for you cant help but go into your garage and stare at it.

for me if i got a new one i would have make quite a few changes to bring back the " animal" or character as i would call it. But never say never i might put mine up for sale and see what interest i get.

i also see you are in Sydney theres a good bunch of Brutale guy's here that you'll have a blast with.

Cheers

James
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney 910R View Post
Hi BFI2906,
I dont see a problem with teh 1090RR overall it is a softer ride than the previous generations of Brutale ie the 1078RR and the 910R, they are trying to appeal to a bigger market of people hense the softening of the overall bike, my personal opinion is that the previous generation Brutes are the best and if you check my gallery you will see my fully tricked up 910R just about nothing is standard and the customizing becomes a bit of a sickness, the MV bikes just have something about them that makes you smile when riding them and the lines of the original Brute are to die for you cant help but go into your garage and stare at it.

for me if i got a new one i would have make quite a few changes to bring back the " animal" or character as i would call it. But never say never i might put mine up for sale and see what interest i get.

i also see you are in Sydney theres a good bunch of Brutale guy's here that you'll have a blast with.

Cheers

James
Thanks James - appreciate the feedback.

This "character / animal" thing is what's playing on my mind. Is it so aggressive as to be a problem unless your an experienced rider, or is it simply a matter of being smart when you twist the right grip?

Is it about the color scheme, shape, sound, seating position, overall feel - aesthetics if you will. Or is it about a twitchy throttle, jumpy suspension - stuff that'll bite you on the butt and spit you up the road if you're not experienced or giving it 100% attention all the time.

I'm not sure whether I'm making something out of nothing, and just being a big "girls blouse", or whether it's something I need to factor into my thinking and decisions.

Maybe the "softer" 1090 is a good way to start, and I can "toughten it up", as I become more comfortable with it. Would that make sense?

Thanks again for the welcome and your comments

B.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 AM

hey
its more character than animal and the rewards are awesome, i personally think the build/ design of the original is nicer than the new one but then again the new one is now $10,000 cheaper than what i paid for my 910R 5 years ago!! My throttle is fine i have had the suspension tweaked and love the racier feel of the old one compared to the new one, the bike itself can be ridden like a pussy cat it just needs a bit more concentration if your an idiot with the throttle it doesnt matter how docile the bike is it will bite you, all the above is character and the bike itself makes you want to master it and show it who is in control, they are incredibly quick as long as you know what you are doing, i think someone could jump on the new one and go quicker sooner as the bike does feel easier to ride, i would just hope that after a while it doesnt get boring and the old Brute is anything but boring, its strange but thats the way i see it.

The new one is probably the way to go, you can always get the suspension tweaked and a louder exhaust to give it a bit more excitement should you feel the need to do so, but once you get used to it then have a go on the old one and you will see the differances i'm talking about.

James
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Wink

Ride a Brutale and an F4 then just buy the F4.:f 4:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 AM

John the man has taste and style hence the Brutale choice!!!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:50 AM

hi id recommend m/c weaponary in mona vale for all mechanical issues contact steve 0299794744 regards paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode