1090RR fuel level gauge - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

1090RR fuel level gauge

Hi,
Early versions of prospects of the new Brutale did speak about a fuel level gauge. In the meanwhile it is quite evident that for whatever reasons the shipping version of the bike is not equiped with it. I'm a satisfied owner of the 1090RR for a year anyhow, but nevertheless I'm still thinking to build my own small extra "bord computer" showing fuel level, air temperature and time - 3 things I'm missing. Question is, does amybody know if there is a full featured fuel level sensor built in the tank or only an on/off style detector to control the reserve light?

Any thoughts/hints are aprpeciated.

Greetings from Germany, Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Why bother with a fuel gauge.
You got to know by know that whenever you see a petrol station you got to stop. I mean you have a Brutale, yes or no?

Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeorex View Post
Why bother with a fuel gauge.
You got to know by know that whenever you see a petrol station you got to stop. I mean you have a Brutale, yes or no?
These are the comments I'm looking for

Seriously, is there nobody in the forum who knows what's inside the fuel tank (other than always too less fuel and too much air)?

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up 3 things?

Thomas;
welcome to the Forum.....
hey look in your owners manual.....you have to set the time for it to show on the dash

the sending unit in the tank is just a switch
for air temp there are after market stick on ones available

why manufacturers don't look around or look at what the after market is selling is beyond me

i'd love to have a gas gauge, then gear indicator, i don't really need air temp but i understand why people in colder climes would want one although i think a ground temp would be more useful.
have an IR thermo reading ground temp.....i hate ice!

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Dear Noel,
could it be that what you have written is from your 910 and not applicable to the 1090RR?

1) To my best knowledge the 1090 has NO clock (or could someone send me the manual page no. where I can take instructions to set it?).

2) It has a gear indicator which works nicely.

3) Early publications of the 1090 have shown a fuel gauge where now the coolant temperature is shown and the coolant temperature was shown where now the nice but functionless bike picture is. For some reason the italian masterminds have reworked the dash display at least for the German market. As I have read in the publications about the fuel gauge I was wondering if only the display was changed before start of production and the full featured sender has remained in the tank. As the instrument panel of the 1090 is connected by a CAN bus fuel level information could theoretically come also from the engine management unit. As it is relatively easy to connect additional devices to the CAN bus a "secondary" board compuper could be built if one would know which signals come through the CAN bus of MV.

4) Yes, unfortunately in Germany temperature is an issue. But you are right, surface temp is more important, but I could live with air temp as well.

Regards, Thomas.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Established Member

Hello Thomas, unfortunately, the fuel sensor is a simple switch. I have attached two screen shots from my factory workshop manual.

From the wiring diagram, terminal 3 at the fuel pump is ground, terminal 4 runs to terminal 7 at the instrument panel. The switch function appears to be SPST Normally Closed.

Best wishes,
Dick
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Dear Dick,
thanks, that finally answers my question, unfortunately.

Btw., could you tell me where I can by the manual you have referred to? There are a few more questions that bother me. E. g., what is the right tire pressure for the Dunlop Qualifier RR? My user manual says there should be a sticker at the right side of the steering head but there is none.

Thanks a lot, Thomas
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Sticker on my bike says 33psi for front and rear.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Established Member

Hi Thomas, my dealer gave me the Factory work shop manuals for the 1090/990RR Engine and a seperate workshop manual for the Chassis, when he delivered thr bike.

The info I sent you was from the Chassis manual.

Best wishes,
Dick
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Hi Thomas, I was at the MV factory in Milan last year and asked this question..... the answer was... there is no fuel gauge....!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode