First Service Question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

First Service Question

My Brutale 910R is ready for its 600mi first service. Do I have to have it done at the dealer to preserve the warranty and/or avoid warranty issues, or can an independent service shop do the work.

I haven't checked yet, but I suspect that it will be far less expensive to have an independent do the work.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:04 PM

I have heard horror stories of non-MV tech's really mucking things up--Take it to the dealer, or do it yourself IF you're capable.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
the valves have to be checked to be in warranty
as far as we know, none have been adjusted

plan for 5 hours of labor
at least $400.00 - $600.00.

that's just the "price" of owning an MV

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM

My dealer told me the valves did NOT need to be checked. They advised that they would check them if I wanted, but it would be a "waste of money" as they have never had to adjust one at 600 mi.
I asked the Service manager if them not adjusting the valves would void my warranty, and he advised it would not. He further stated a MV rep had told them that the valve adjust was going to be taken out of the 600 mile service interval in the near future.
With any bike I would advise having the dealer perform the first service.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:06 PM
No one within 300 miles of me is certified to perform service maintenance on my Brutale. I took my first bike in to the nearest Ducati/Agusta Dealer in Washington State for its first service. All the valves were in spec. They changed the oil and filter and attempted to set the co and screwed it up so bad that it was stalling nearly every time I let off the gas. I had to take it back to them a week later to correct the problem. I still donít think it ran as good as before I took in to them. The shop was in the process of obtaining service credentials from Agusta. My guess is that my bike was the first one they had ever opened up. Cost was almost $600.00

When I bought my new Brutale from Post Falls Idaho I mentioned my experience with the dealer in Seattle. The General Manager told me to change the oil and filter myself. Check tightness of nuts and bolts and not to worry about the valves because he had never seen one that needed adjusting after 600 miles. He told me to bring it back to them after I have around 8,000 miles on it and theyíll check the valves and do a complete service.
I did my first oil change. (100% synthetic) and K&N filter for around $55.00 total. It was simple and finished in less than an hour.
Most service intervals are conservative estimates and when the dealership I bought the bike from tells me they have never seen valves needing adjustment at 6oo miles, thatís all I needed to know. I checked the bike over closely and everything looked fine. Best of all it runs as good or better as the day I rode it.

Take it for what itís worth. Iím not advocating one position or the other, itís your money. But I have a real problem spending $600.00 on anything after such a short time of use.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfiveo
He further stated a MV rep had told them that the valve adjust was going to be taken out of the 600 mile service interval in the near future.
well....
that really pisses me off
because the service would have been $200.00 cheaper if they hadn't needed to do that

hmmmmmm

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
well....
that really pisses me off
because the service would have been $200.00 cheaper if they hadn't needed to do that

hmmmmmm
BTW, my first service cost just over $200.00 (including oil/etc).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 PM

If the valve's are off spec, you would think that would be the factories fault and covered under warranty, right. But I know it's not.

Also, I have a feeling that minus the valve inspection, the first service really is just an oil/filter change - and an eyeball inspection to make sure all's okay.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 AM

As ive said before i found out that the `valve check` was in fact done by comprression test and not with feelers,i had a massive argument with the workshop manager ( my dealer is allso the importer) iam in the motor trade but lorrys is my game, but i know about engines and this is bullshit saying they check valves like this is correct,but they do say that no 910 has ever had to be ajusted, but by checking like this none will?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 AM

after my first service, I received a spec sheet with valve clearances for each valve listed. service manager told me that everything was checked and adjusted. Aircanister was also removed.

all I can say is that my throtle responce is just fine now. whith none of that on and off switching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode