2006 910s what things to look for - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

2006 910s what things to look for

Hi guys,

I'm on the verge of buying my first MV and at looking at a 2006 MV Brutale 910s with around 2500 miles. Other than asking about any service work done, is there anything else I should inspect or notice on this model? The price is reasonable (<$8000). Planning on looking at it tomorrow so any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Lift the rear wheel and try to wiggle it. Spin the wheel and see if it turns smoothly or if it sounds like the bearings are grinding. If there is any play in it or these is any scraping sound the bearings most likely need to be replaced. Make sure the chain is not too tight as this is another indicator that the bearings may be stressed.

Aside from that just check everything electronically to make sure it is functional (blinkers, lights) there were some electrical gremilns associated with the ECU but as long as everything functions I would not be concerned as this was a hit or miss thing.

Finally take it fo a ride get it up to full temp and let it fan cycle a few times to make sure there are no issues - they usually run like a top so there should not be any issue - it may spit a little coolant out of the overflow tube if it still has factory coolant, this is not a big deal and easily remidied by flushing it and replacing with better coolant.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. This type of info is what I am looking for. Hopefully with only 2500 miles the bike should be fine. I'm just hoping the guy that has it did the initial service - that usually tells you how important maintenance is to the owner.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Pay $200 to have your local dealer check it out including cylinder compression, find out who serviced it and get the records.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Established Member

slammp, what coolant would you recommend?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM

I actually filled mine with prestone mixed 50/50 with water last summer and havent had a dribble since - prior to that it would bubble out on every drive.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
They don't like to be overfilled. She will pump coolant out overflow until she finds her happy spot. Most seem happy with coolant at minimum level when cold.

2006 still had suspect SPU boxes. Get the bike hot and put all the lights through their cycles several times (Hi beam Low beam, turn signals etc.). Replacement SPUs have been improved.

Great bikes, and except for the problems with poorly treated rear hub bearing and the random SPUs they are very reliable.

Oh, and look closely at the headlight glass. Give it a tug. Early bikes were known for poor adhesive on the glass. If it comes loose you can glue it back on and do a better job then the supplier did. You just don't want it flying out when the front end comes back to earth (they do wheelies very nicely). It will break for sure if that happens.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
hes

They do not like ethanol in gasoline either. Mine got all the lines replaced with marine hoses (or at least I bought tha BS anyways) after the bike wld spit gasoline all over the place.

I also had it spit coolant but I let her do that until it corrected the level itself. Now that is good.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammp View Post
I actually filled mine with prestone mixed 50/50 with water last summer and havent had a dribble since - prior to that it would bubble out on every drive.
Prestone? - dang, there are so many types of antifreeze these days I'm just left confused...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Virtually every Ethylene Glycol base coolant on the market is the same stuff. Be sure to mix 50/50 with distilled water!!! not tap water.

Go to the auto store and buy it.....or you can spend a bunch more and get the pre-diluted motorcycle branded stuff....but it's the same thing.

Now day there is a move to Propylene Glycol as it is not toxic....usually orange in color but not always.

Now if you plan to do track days you may want to get something else that is approved at the tracks you will be going to.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode