Im NEW..HELP!!!! HIDs, TURN SIGNAL PROBLEMS. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Im NEW..HELP!!!! HIDs, TURN SIGNAL PROBLEMS.

Hi,
So I like to work on my bikes alot and I am good at it. So I did an HID (high beam) install on my F4 and my 2004 Brutale 750. The F4 has not given me problems with the HID, The brutale is the one wiith the problems. The light turn on without a problem, the problem is wile Im riding it turns off after being on for about 5 min. It then to be turned back on with the HI/LO beam button. Its not my connections because I soldered them and double checked them, No shorts either. Im woundering if its the ballast? Does anyone know why this is happening? If so, how can I fix it? I also replaced my turn signals for some L.E.D signals. They were working fine for several weeks,then one day my left(clutch,gear side) turn signals quit working. They do NOT turn on when I turn them on, but my right ones work. The lights work(front and rear), I checked them, its not the fuse, its not the connections. Could it be the realy(sp?), or the on/off switch itself, or the wires?
Any help would be great.
Thank You
Oscar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Established Member

HID - Where's the ballast in relation to the headlight?
Turn - This may be that relay/fuse box itself. Did you cut the bike's harness to splice the turn signals in?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 AM

The Brutale dosn't have relays, its all in the SPU. Its a box on the right hand side of the bike under the side cover below the tank and seat. Black box with blue rubbery stuff behind. You might want to check this for and scorching or burn marks, if this is the case you'll need a new one. They are a sealed unit.

I changes the indicators for LED's on my 750 and the SPU blew, had to replace it. Definitely should be the place to start.

Does my bum look fast on this?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

@cnegron
Turn signal- I did cut the wires and soldered them to the OEM connectors. So it would look something like this:
---------------------------------------<>----------------***-------------0
line coming from the harnes , OEMConnectors , Soldered , LED turnsignal

I hope my illustratioun is clear.
HIDs- Isnt the ballast what keeps a steady flow of current going to the light?...so if thats damaged then wouldnt the light have problems?

@hebs
I thought that was my fuse box, but I found it and I dont see anything that might be burnt. How much do they run for?. Why would the SPU ge burned or blow? Arent the fuses there to protect things like that from happening?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Established Member

Turn - That looks pretty straight forward. It's probably your spu (relay/fuse box).

Hid- Yes that's the ballast, but where is it in relation to the bulb. Did you mount it in the under the pillion seat? extend any wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Mvagusta View Post
@cnegron
Turn signal- I did cut the wires and soldered them to the OEM connectors. So it would look something like this:
---------------------------------------<>----------------***-------------0
line coming from the harnes , OEMConnectors , Soldered , LED turnsignal

I hope my illustratioun is clear.
HIDs- Isnt the ballast what keeps a steady flow of current going to the light?...so if thats damaged then wouldnt the light have problems?

@hebs
I thought that was my fuse box, but I found it and I dont see anything that might be burnt. How much do they run for?. Why would the SPU ge burned or blow? Arent the fuses there to protect things like that from happening?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM

The SPU's blow for no apparent reason on some bikes, not a common problem but common enough. There is a new improved SPU that most people change for and they don't seem to have issues.

The fuses don't seem to do shit, I shorted mine fitting the LED's and the fuses were still in tact.

SPU's are about $400 USD I think, get in touch with one of the site sponsors and they'll fix you up.

Does my bum look fast on this?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

@cnegron
I think we are not on the same page here.lol. I think my ballast is damaged, so my bulb acts up. I did extend the wire but only by a foot or so, I used high quality wire and I soldered the connections. I was able to hide the HID ballast under the key gaurd, so no I didnt put it in the sandwitch comparment.

@hebs
$400!!...gees....its bad enough that Im 18 and insurance is sky high for me, plus I gotta pay for a parking garage and maintance on 3 bikes. Im basically working to keep my bikes running..lol. My only consern is that if I replace it and there is a wire making a short or something and my new spu get toast, does that mean I have to get another one or it gets replaced by the seller?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

@hebs
Do you thing if a go with a fuse with less resistance it might help save my SPU in the future?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM

New Site Garage
At first glance the SPU does sound like the problem. They have a design fault in the early (pre-07) models and once replaced have never failed a second time. Yes $400 sounds a bit expensive, but when you consider that the 'dealers' have asked for $2k ....the sponsors are definitely the way to go.

But...don't replace it unless you're 100&#37; sure of your wiring and fuses....and do not run with a fuse with less resistance, this will definitely result in you blowing the SPU.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

@ cruiser
Thanks for the help. Im going to check all my wires tomorrow and then get a SPU. Is there a specific sponsor to get one from?
Thank you
Oscar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode