Grass Roots Brutie Build Up Begins.. Opinions and Advise Welcome - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Grass Roots Brutie Build Up Begins.. Opinions and Advise Welcome

And Finally, after literally years of waiting, I get my dream motor from CAG, the 1078 from a B4 with a slipper clutch and no frilly balance bar!!

So the bike is originally a 2006 910R with a case wound that cant be fixed without splitting the cases. What to do? I am building a hotrod. So far we have the engine, harness, controls, and Airbox. We have already started taking the bike apart but this battle has just started. We have most everything we need but are still lacking a couple key components and questions still exist. I have not seen this swap yet but I feel we can do it especially calling on the expertise of my friends on this forum.

We still are lacking an exhaust and an ecu.

I will post pics of the exhaust as soon as I get them but I must first explain my situation. I had the original 06' R pipe which was the great and rare total system that came with the bike before they began cutting costs and selling the bike with the header back system. I was planning on using this pipe because I feel it is just as good a system as many of the aftermarket units offered today. The problem is the collector is smashed in a bit and because it is where the pipes meet we might not be able to pull out the dents. I have the 09 header and am thinking of using it but if this header is anything like the one that came on the stock 09 it really isn't much of a pipe OR IS IT?

We are looking at the primary size, and the pipe itself. One might think the 1078RR stock pipe would flow better for the bigger motor but I have been told by the experts that the 910R full system was one of the best MV ever released. I have been told it compares with the Inox manifolds currently offered. I want the thing to breathe but I don't have the cash for Titanium. CAG didn't send the cans with the exhaust so I might have to graft the R Off Road cans to the 1078RR header which might be a little sacrilegious but hey, so is the bike and if the collector on the R pipe isn't salvageable its not such a sin. WHAT TO DO?

Here comes the second question... The ECU. I have thought about a MIcrotec unit but after trying to get prices on a new one and figuring the painful penalty of the exchange rate this option is getting tough to justify. The prices are 1200+ and I am worried about this high revving idle that I have heard about. I tried to score a used unit from Australia but it sold before I could get a hold of it.

The second option is piggy backing a Power Commander to the factory ECU. Yamacati man has told me this configuration pulls pretty hard on the factory electrical system however and even if I do this do I use the PCIII or PCV unit? Is there any difference?

I have thought about the Ferracci units and I am not into the idea of shelling out that kind of cash for a non adjustable unit..

SO I need a ECU and an Exhaust.. Any body got some parts or some advise?

This is pop fly, but why do you think MV used the smaller throttle bodies instead of the ones they put on the 1078 F4? Torque or cost savings.

Well thanks for your input and I will try to keep the post rolling with photos and info on how things are going. I am really excited because I love the bike, love how rowdy the 910R was and how nuts the 1078RR will be.

Will be leaving the 910R markings on the bike. Not sure if that constitutes a "sleeper" though!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Standard 1078 headers are welded to the cat - Should be easier/cheaper to find.. Cut the pipes weld on loops for the springs and use de-cat pipe... jobs a good un!
I understood the smaller TBs were to give that fired out of a catapult feeling :-)
(Torque/pick up not cost cutting)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Option 1: Keep the stock 1078 headers and midpipe with catalytic converter, buy the ecu that came with the 1078, put your stock slip ons on and run it.

Option 2: see above but use the offroad slipons. You may or may not need a power commander.

Option 3: Use your 910R exhaust system from the headers back. Have a welding shop weld an O2 sensor into your mid pipe. Use the stock ECU. You will almost definitely need a PC.

Option4-infinity: More money than you want to spend it sounds like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to use the stock R pipe and weld in the bung for the O2 sensor but its pretty beat up. I am trying to find out if the primary tubes on the 1078 are bigger than the R. Option 4... why do you have to suggest option 4? That one always works the best.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM
CAG

Post a picture of the midpipe. I know a guy who can work magic with metal.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Pipe

I'm working on it. Waiting on the engine too. Real excited to see pics of that. Did you ever send me the tracking number? And do you still have the ECU?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 PM
CAG

Waiting on the engine? That was supposed to be delivered around Tuesday. It's not there yet?

Yes, I still have the ECU.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Enigne might have showed up today. I will know tomorrow
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Does anybody know if the air cleaner is different on the 910R and the 1078RR?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 AM
CAG

The airbox I sent you has an air filter in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode