Brutale wont Fire - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Brutale wont Fire

New to the MV Agusta market and to this Forum, looks to have a lot of info...Here's the scoop, finally got my hands on an 06 Brutale 910, finally got some decent weather to take it out, rode around the block for 5 mintues, parked it in the garage for the night. Weather was nice Sunday, went to fire it up and half ass started and died out, so I tried choke and just turned over and over...Check all fuses, they were fine, Not sure where my latch relay is located or if i even have one. I let the bike sit for 5 minutes thinking i might of flooded it since i was smelling fuel, all i got was some backfire...waited another 2 hours, tried, nothing, more backfire after a while, ran it down the hill in 2nd gear, tried popping the clutch, sounded like it was close to firing after the 10th try, brought back to the car to jump start it, all it did was turn over really fast with no fire again...I'm confused and frustrated. Any ideas?? Fuel lines all look in tact inside tank, fuel pump whines for about 3 seconds and shuts down, and I smell fuel each time. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Could be a number of things. We'll assume you didn't accidently hit the kill switch located near the throttle.

Since you smell fuel, I would look very carefully for evidence of any fuel leak. The plastic fuel connectors under the tank have been known to break, but you would probably see fuel spilling from somewhere if that were the case.

All the relays on the bike are located in a sealed box under the fuses. They can not be checked or replace, you have to replace the entire unit.

Did you check the 40 amp fuse located near the starter solenoid, or just the fuses on the right side of the bike?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
CAG

If all the above checks out, you will need to check for spark. Do this by removing one of the plug leads and grounding it. If you see an arc, your ignition is likely fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM

If your tank is only half full you may be able to see if a fuel line has failed or come undone when in prime.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Also never jump from a car with it running.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I only checked the fuses on the right side of the bike, and I did look real briefly at the two 40's under the seat next to the battery. I have no evidence of gas leaking, concrete is dry under the bike along with the cardboard i put under there to see if i was leaking. No signs of that. I'll pull a plug later to see if I have spark.

cdamb - Tank is half full, when I looked in the tank last night i did not see any signs of cracking or a floating hose, just one which i believe is the breather hose coming from the top. If i did have a bad hose, wouldnt my fuel kind of bubble when i first turn on the bike to get the fuel pump to kick on?!? I already tried jumping my bike with my car, is that bad?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
CAG

Open the gas cap, shine a flashlight inside and try and start the bike. Do you see any bubbles?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

CAG - I had one 40 fuse blow, replaced that, still just turns over with no fire...I hear air sucking in so that should not be an issue, I opened the gas cap all hoses looked attached, turned the key to get the pump to whine for those 3 seconds and I saw very fine bubbles come up from the center area. Should there be no bubbles at all?!? When hitting the start button with me still looking in the cap, i dont see the bubbles, only when i first turn the key. I have not checked spark yet. whatcha think?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 PM
CAG

I think you need to get into your tank. It sounds like more of a fuel issue to me. To be sure, drop the pump and inspect/replace the hoses inside the tank. If you were going to see bubbles, it would be when the pump is priming.

Check spark first since that is easier. I'm leaning toward hoses at this point.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Does the prime make a hum or a squeal sound. It should only hum. When I had a pump go bad on my 750 it made a squeal sound and bubbles came out of the check valve on the pump. I was riding with cag when it crapped out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode