Thinking of a new Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of a new Brutale

Current bikes are a Triumph Sprint ST and Harley Vrod.

Was talking to my mechanic and told him I like the Speed Triple. Ive riddne teh speed triple and love it. He said to check out the Brutale. Anyone tell me the differences between a 990r and 1090rr? On paper it doesnt seem much?

I most do street riding so I wonder which bike would be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Current bikes are a Triumph Sprint ST and Harley Vrod.

Was talking to my mechanic and told him I like the Speed Triple. Ive riddne teh speed triple and love it. He said to check out the Brutale. Anyone tell me the differences between a 990r and 1090rr? On paper it doesnt seem much?

I most do street riding so I wonder which bike would be better?
1078RR if you can still get one. It's harder. Otherwise get the new Speed Triple...

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM

on paper the 1090 and 990 aren't that different, what you are paying for is really slightly better suspenion, a slipper clutch, slightly better brakes, and a larger engine with about 10 more hp and a couple of painted body parts on the bike, otherwise they aren't that different.

i got the 1090 for the added slipper clutch and the color scheme was what i wanted, and the slightly better brakes.

from what i read, if you really liek the speed triple its a better bike overall and cheaper than any brutale so its the more logical thing to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Logical smogical, get the 1078RR

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Speed Triple, be serious, maybe if you never look at your bike and don't like amazing fit and finish. There are several bikes that are comparable, until you ride them, then you see they are almost as good in most ways. If you can settle for almost as good and the looks?? Not me, the Brutale is the complete package IMHO
I love it more every time I ride it
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM

I agree the Speed Triple is agreat bike let a down by poor finish, whilst the Brutale just aches class

There are motorcycles and then there is MV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Established Member

Morvegil, to respond to your question on the difference between 990 and 1090, it is as roadbiking stated. I was on the fence between the two but i was going to do more than street riding, so i chose the 1090 for the lil extras roadbiking mentioned. The color scheme was one of my serious considerations and i like the lil extra details that are not mentioned on paper, like the swing arm is coated (painted) that makes it real easy to clean unlike my F4 and the valve cover painted red and the Marchesini wheels are a nice touch. I am thankful to my friend and mech that pointed the Brutale to me because betweent the two, they have owned and ridden alot of brand motorcycles and both say the Brutale is the bomb and i can now say IT IS!!!

Frank
2010 MV 1090 Brutale
2012 HD CVO Ultra
2000 HD Ultra (Sold)
2005 MV F4 (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I didnt want to offend anyone mentioning other motorcycles. Maintenance wise is there anything crazy like Ducati? I know its an i4 so it would see the only thing that would cost is probably 600ish for a valve job maybe?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Logical smogical, get the 1078RR
+1

...and they are easy to work on !!

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM

well the maintenance schedule is liek a ducati in that the valves are supposed to be checked for clearances on the I4 in a brutale at 7500 miles, just like a ducati is, so there is that factor.

from what i hear the valves usually don't have to be adjusted till around 15,000 miles on a brutale, but nevertheless you ahve to pay someone if you dont' do it yourself to take off the valve covers and check the clearances every 7500 miles that may cost a few hundred dollars just like a ducati.

its not like a japanese motorcycle that has valve clearance checks at every 15k miles like a honda I4, so i have heard.

otherwise from what i ask the mechanics at the dealer they say working on the brutale engine is a lot like working on a japanese inline 4 so if you have experience with that ,then you will find the brutales very easy to work on, me personally i don't work on the engine so it doesn't matter to me.

and yes i forgot the 1090 does have the lighter wheels and i got it bc of that.

i mentioned the speed triple bc its overall a better value, but i got the brutale for no logical reason.

you get an mv for not for logical reasons but for emotional reasons, such as exclusivity, and you like how it looks, etc. you don't get one for logical reasons because when you stack it up to the competition is it usually underpowered for the money, overpriced, heavier, dealer network is not as prevalent, not very fuel efficient, throttle response is sort of notchy at the lower end, etc.

but even with all those issues, I love the bike, it looks great to me, rides extremely well at speed, sounds good to me and i just like it because it has the "IT" factor to it, and that is why you either like an mv or you don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode