Did a test ride today - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Cool Did a test ride today

It was cold, it was damp. 5 degrs C and greasy country roads.

First rode the 1090RR, bog standard. Was expecting and certainly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the progress of the new model. Didn't feel very comfortable on it. Was that traction control on or off, I thought, fishtailing my way past an oncoming artic while shifting into 2nd. Same folded leg feeling as the new F4. Strong engine, slightly boring sound and feel. On/off throttle response; roundabouts decidedly tiptoe in these conditions. Not very agile, Sportsmarts ice cold of course.

Then an 989R, also bog standard. Immediately comfortable, smooth throttle response, great gear change, great sounding and feeling engine (yes!), agile, SC Pro's?, no front brake that I could notice, mirrors?

So that's a black and white 1078RR then, inox pipes + race ECU, neoprene and leather seat and a few more fripperies...

Nulla tenaci invia est via
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post

First rode the 1090RR, bog standard. Was expecting and certainly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the progress of the new model. Didn't feel very comfortable on it. Was that traction control on or off, I thought, fishtailing my way past an oncoming artic while shifting into 2nd. Same folded leg feeling as the new F4. Strong engine, slightly boring sound and feel. On/off throttle response; roundabouts decidedly tiptoe in these conditions. Not very agile, Sportsmarts ice cold of course.

Then an 989R, also bog standard. Immediately comfortable, smooth throttle response, great gear change, great sounding and feeling engine (yes!), agile, SC Pro's?, no front brake that I could notice, mirrors?

So that's a black and white 1078RR then, inox pipes + race ECU, neoprene and leather seat and a few more fripperies...
I wish I could understand what you're saying
But one thing's for sure - it's tough to get a real impression of any bike in the weather conditions you've outlined.

(fripperie? )
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM

WOW. absolute opposite of what I was expecting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 AM

mmmm very interesting and opposite to what i thought, i have a tricked up 910R now and since seeing the Cannonball 1090RR from Alkatraxx thats all i can think of as his one looks soooo good, but before i decide to sell mine i will test ride a new 1090RR back to back to see what its like. Again not the review i was excpecting!!

also black and white 1078RR best colour to go for my far!!!

James
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Thanks James; I also think it looks the absolute business!

I was not surprised by the seating position as I'd ridden the 2010 F4 before; it's just how I'm built I guess.

I was surprised by the handling and the snatchy throttle response. And there really is no substitute for the raw sound and feel of the "old" engine, and the 989R engine is surprisingly smooth. I had to ask if it was standard, and it was.

I actually thought the cold and damp conditions were ideal to bring out the handling characteristics of the two bikes. In warm and dry conditions lots of bikes can feel good, but now any hesitation or peculiarity in the handling was amplified. That 989R sure could use a steering damper though!

The "new" Brutale has lazier geometry which means you probably have to go a lot faster to get it to behave as it should. There is a steering damper but it looks cheap and feels ineffectual. The "old" Brutale is more agile (more "nervous" as some testers called it in a comparison) which actually is a help in these conditions.

What testers say in their reports though really is a lot of b*ll*cks sometimes. If you read back on test reports of the 1078RR Brutale, and then the 1090RR, sometimes by the same testers, you just have to laugh. The new product is almost always better, and in comparison the old product then has to be trashed. Which is why I wanted to ride them myself back to back.

I just gave my honest opinion; anyone can have a different one. They're both great bikes.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
I wish I could understand what you're saying
But one thing's for sure - it's tough to get a real impression of any bike in the weather conditions you've outlined.

(fripperie? )
Yes , I would imagine the minimum requirement is to get the tyres warmed up !
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post

You rode a B989 and bought a B1078rr? totally different engine characteristic between the two. Some say the 989 is the most balanced brutale available

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hb88xx; 02-03-2011 at 08:36 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM

I can't speak for a new Brutale. I rode only a 910R over a weekend. But my feelings were anything else than comfortable. I think when You ride always bikes with Your head just above the top yoke than is every Brutale an awkward experience. At least until You get comfy with it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
You rode a B989 and bought a B1078rr? totally different engine characteristic between the two. Some say the 989 is the most balanced brutale available
Could well be; I certainly was pleasantly surprised. I know and love the 1078 engine, with race ECU, so let's go!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
I can't speak for a new Brutale. I rode only a 910R over a weekend. But my feelings were anything else than comfortable. I think when You ride always bikes with Your head just above the top yoke than is every Brutale an awkward experience. At least until You get comfy with it.
Wasn't awkward for me; seating position, pegs, handlebar, suit my probably hunched posture...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode