buying a used 910r - technical problems? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

buying a used 910r - technical problems?

hello all,
i am a new member from athens, greece

i am thinking of entering the mv family by buying a used brutale 910r with nearly 24.000km already done. do you have experienced any serious technical problems which will cost me a lot of money fixing them and send me all the time at local service?

anyway, i have fallen in love with this bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve13 View Post
hello all,
i am a new member from athens, greece

i am thinking of entering the mv family by buying a used brutale 910r with nearly 24.000km already done. do you have experienced any serious technical problems which will cost me a lot of money fixing them and send me all the time at local service?

anyway, i have fallen in love with this bike...
Welcome! what year is the bike you are looking at?

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

it 's 2007 i think....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I have that model...mine is a 2008 (USA spec was always 1 year after Europe)....absolutely no problems (doing the prescribed service intervals) in 15,000 miles.

It's a great bike !!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 PM

Earlier Brutes had one fan on the radiator, - if this model is so and you live in a hot area then worth keeping an eye on the temp guage while taking a test ride through some stop-start traffic to see if the temp stays below 100. I think 910R's all had two fans anyway so no worries if it has.

Some MV's have rear hubs that randomly fail, but to be honest there is no easy way for you to check this out anyway so its down to luck. Happens rare enough that its not worth worrying over.

I think thats about it basically. So a damn reliable bike in my opinion.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
Earlier Brutes had one fan on the radiator, - if this model is so and you live in a hot area then worth keeping an eye on the temp guage while taking a test ride through some stop-start traffic to see if the temp stays below 100. I think 910R's all had two fans anyway so no worries if it has.
My 06 910R has just one large fan. But as soon as it gets to 75/80C it comes on and never gets over 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
Some MV's have rear hubs that randomly fail, but to be honest there is no easy way for you to check this out anyway so its down to luck. Happens rare enough that its not worth worrying over.
As above, there is no full-proof way of guarding against this... but a good thing todo is to get in the habit of just checking the rear hub temp immediately after each med/large ride. You do this by just putting your hand on the back part of the swing-arm. It should feel like warm/hot running water (55-60 degrees i believe) to the touch - but you should still be able to keep your hand on. If it feels any hoter then stop and do not ride it any further.

A couple of other things are:

The SPU/CDI (relay box) is faulty and can fail. But i think the 07-09 (??) bikes had the new designed SPU/CDI so in your case it is not a problem.

Check your chain often to make sure that it is tensioned correctly. This is one of the biggest reasons why a hub fails.

When you get tyres changed or for any reason you get the rear wheel taken off... WATCH personally the mechanic put it back on and torque the rear wheel nuts up to 220-240 nm. I have found that in my area, many bike shops dont own a torque wrench capable of providing 240 nm of torque... so what they do is use their 200nm torque wrench, and "guess" the extra - not good enough.

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Old Wing Nut

Do NOT overtighten the chain, then you will have no hub bearing problems (well...don't pressure was the hub either)....this bike has 2 fans...Brutales do not overheat anyway. SPU was improved from prior to this model.

Great bike. No problems.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

thank you guys! useful info!!

a mechanic told me that it might have problems with the relay box, it just goes down and then it needs replacement costing around 400 euros...(at least in greece!)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM

If it's Euro 3 (2007 in Europe), the SPU is fine.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Dave.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve13 View Post
thank you guys! useful info!!

a mechanic told me that it might have problems with the relay box, it just goes down and then it needs replacement costing around 400 euros...(at least in greece!)

That is the SPU (also known erroneously called CDI at one time). No worries on this bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in