Lowering Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
SSR

Lowering Brutale

Can anyone tell me what are the pros and cons of lowering a Brutale ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Not exactly what you asked but here goes. I am 5' 6" and every bike I have ever owned cannot be flat-footed. I have never lowered a bike only because I have heard if you do not do it right it can effect the way that it handles, and to be honest there are ways around it.

I have not done this on my brute because it seems fine, but every bike before I removed the seat cover cut out 1" to 1 1/2" of foam, sanded it smooth and refit the cover. Worked every time and fit and finish was absolutely professional looking. Aside from that I have learned to be quite good at putting only one foot down at the lights and just leaning the weight into that leg.

Thats my 2 cents.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The pro is that if you are short, it may feel a little more comfortable when you are stopped.

The cons are you could seriously screw up the suspension settings and thus the handling of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 AM

in theory if you lower the front and back the same amount and adjust the rebound and compression appropriately on each by an expert, the handling of the bike should remain substantially the same and only someone that is a pro would be able to tell that the bike was lowered.

problem is that most of the time when people lower the bikes they only lower one end without taking into account what will happen to the bike and then it rides differently. again you must have this done by someone that knows the bike and how suspension works.

the main cons of lowering a bike are that if you lower it too much the sidestand needs to be cut or a shorter one put on because the bike now sits very vertical when on the sidestand, the other con is that when you lowere the bike you lose some cornering clearance, now how important this last thing is depends on if you are using the bike on the track or the street, if you are lowering a bike only slightly say 1/4-3/4 of an inch then probably street riding you won't notice any cornering clearance issues on any mv but if you are going at it really hard on the track and dragging knees and such then it might matter more to you.

the pro of having the bike lowered is that for stopping and stop and go traffic if you are shorter like i am then it will be much more comfortable when you stop so that yoyu don't have to sit to one side of the bike or such to put a foot down. contrary to what others will say, if you use the bike for commuting and have to ride a lot in traffic then having to put one foot down and slightly lean to that side can get quite tiresome and annoying after a while, its not bad if you only ride on weekends or commute only 1-2 days a week, but if you do it everyday in traffic, it gets old after a week, trust me on this.

my dealer lowered my brutale as a courtesy to me 1/2-5/8 inch and it rides perfectly because he knows how to adjust suspension correctly, after the 600mile tune up i'll ask to put it almost back to stock as i don't liek the fact the bike sits so straight when on the sidestand, otherwise it rides great.

Last edited by roadbiking; 01-03-2011 at 07:38 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
SSR

The front can be lowered easy you have to respect the rings in the fork.
But the rear is what I dont know Gutzy sell an adjustable link ,if you just lower the rear with the coil over shock the spring can loose pressure.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
SSR

I think this is important to lower the rear.
http://www.e-securedsite.com/gutsype...Agusta%20Store
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiking View Post
in theory if you lower the front and back the same amount and adjust the rebound and compression appropriately on each by an expert, the handling of the bike should remain substantially the same and only someone that is a pro would be able to tell that the bike was lowered.

problem is that most of the time when people lower the bikes they only lower one end without taking into account what will happen to the bike and then it rides differently. again you must have this done by someone that knows the bike and how suspension works.

the main cons of lowering a bike are that if you lower it too much the sidestand needs to be cut or a shorter one put on because the bike now sits very vertical when on the sidestand, the other con is that when you lowere the bike you lose some cornering clearance, now how important this last thing is depends on if you are using the bike on the track or the street, if you are lowering a bike only slightly say 1/4-3/4 of an inch then probably street riding you won't notice any cornering clearance issues on any mv but if you are going at it really hard on the track and dragging knees and such then it might matter more to you.

the pro of having the bike lowered is that for stopping and stop and go traffic if you are shorter like i am then it will be much more comfortable when you stop so that yoyu don't have to sit to one side of the bike or such to put a foot down. contrary to what others will say, if you use the bike for commuting and have to ride a lot in traffic then having to put one foot down and slightly lean to that side can get quite tiresome and annoying after a while, its not bad if you only ride on weekends or commute only 1-2 days a week, but if you do it everyday in traffic, it gets old after a week, trust me on this.

my dealer lowered my brutale as a courtesy to me 1/2-5/8 inch and it rides perfectly because he knows how to adjust suspension correctly, after the 600mile tune up i'll ask to put it almost back to stock as i don't liek the fact the bike sits so straight when on the sidestand, otherwise it rides great.
Thanks for your info,can you tell me how many front fork rings your dealer lowered?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM

my bike was lowered so that 4 rings are showing it is almost 3/4 of the way to the 5th ring, but basically the forks were pulled through exactly 1/2 inch through the triples and i was told the rear was lowered the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode