990R two easy questions... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

990R two easy questions...

1. It is very difficult to me to change between the RAIN and SPORT mode. The user manual is not clear about it. Anybody can give some hint, please?

2. This is my first bike with swingarm and I do not know the procedure to tight the chain. Again, any advice will be welcome.

Brutale 990R Black '10
Yamaha TMax '11
Husqvarna WR250 '10
(Previous: Honda CR250R '03, Yamaha FZ1 '06, Yamaha R6 '07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Established Member

I believe you will find the directions for both the chain adjustment and changing data displayed on the instrument panel, in the various guides that were supplied with the bike.

The instructions supplied with the bike include Spanish language and others.

Perhaps the best tool for changing settings for the traction control, or resetting the trip meters is the pocket sized "Quick Guide" that came with the bike. The screwy technique for resetting the dash is tedious and will require written instructions for the first few dozen resets. I do not think the Italian designer could have made it more convoluted. But it takes patience.

As to the chain, the rear of the swing arm carries two clamp bolts, and the rear hub is eccentric. Using the hook spanner (wrench) that is in the tool kit, one loosens the clamp bolts and rotates the rear hub to achieve the proper tension. This is clearly described in the workshop manual packed with your bike.

I would caution you to ensure you fully understand the design, the concept of the adjustment, and have the skill and tooling to correctly perform the task. Death or serious injury can occur. Additionally, failure to properly torque the clamp bolts will result in early failure of the very expensive rear hub.

Please be safe,
Dick
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racasey View Post
I believe you will find the directions for both the chain adjustment and changing data displayed on the instrument panel, in the various guides that were supplied with the bike.

The instructions supplied with the bike include Spanish language and others.

Perhaps the best tool for changing settings for the traction control, or resetting the trip meters is the pocket sized "Quick Guide" that came with the bike. The screwy technique for resetting the dash is tedious and will require written instructions for the first few dozen resets. I do not think the Italian designer could have made it more convoluted. But it takes patience.

As to the chain, the rear of the swing arm carries two clamp bolts, and the rear hub is eccentric. Using the hook spanner (wrench) that is in the tool kit, one loosens the clamp bolts and rotates the rear hub to achieve the proper tension. This is clearly described in the workshop manual packed with your bike.

I would caution you to ensure you fully understand the design, the concept of the adjustment, and have the skill and tooling to correctly perform the task. Death or serious injury can occur. Additionally, failure to properly torque the clamp bolts will result in early failure of the very expensive rear hub.

Please be safe,
Dick
Thanks Dick for the advices...I am still waiting for the manuals because I have bought the bike in another province (state) from mine...That's why I am eager to resolve some question...but now, I know all this questions are explained in the manuals...

Again, thanx.

Brutale 990R Black '10
Yamaha TMax '11
Husqvarna WR250 '10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:46 AM

celica always run that chain loose rather than risk it being too tight and remember always find the tightest spot and adjust at that point

PS-Steering damper http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36000

Last edited by Totale; 12-17-2010 at 02:52 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink manuals

celica;
the service manuals are available here;
http://my.agusta.us/

to correctly adjust the chain you will need a 3/8" drive torque wrench to tighten the hub pinch bolts

to tighten the wheel nut you will need the special 55mm socket, a 1/2" drive torque wrench and a 10" extension

if you buy the alloy socket it won't damage the axle nuts. the socket is available on line or from forum sponsors

most questions have been answered in the 'Maintenance' section of the forum, if you don't see an answer use 'search'

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
celica;
the service manuals are available here;
http://my.agusta.us/

to correctly adjust the chain you will need a 3/8" drive torque wrench to tighten the hub pinch bolts

to tighten the wheel nut you will need the special 55mm socket, a 1/2" drive torque wrench and a 10" extension

if you buy the alloy socket it won't damage the axle nuts. the socket is available on line or from forum sponsors

most questions have been answered in the 'Maintenance' section of the forum, if you don't see an answer use 'search'
Thanks!

Brutale 990R Black '10
Yamaha TMax '11
Husqvarna WR250 '10
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi guys,
I have finally received the MV welcome package with print and digital manuals...but I can not find the workshop manual you are talking about, it seems the Brute 2010 does not include this manual...just a Maintenance manual but this one has not contains info about how to tight the chain...

Can anybody check if he has received a workshop manual with the 990 or 1090 brute???

Thanks in advanced!

Brutale 990R Black '10
Yamaha TMax '11
Husqvarna WR250 '10
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Established Member

i think all the info is on the memory stick , more info in the US section for some reason .

To change from Sport mode you press the starter button with the engine running .

haven't had to adjust my chain in 3500 miles so wouldn't worry about that yet .
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 AM

It took me a long time to figure out how to change the modes.

with the engine running press the starter button twice. You need to do it pronounced and not too fast. Not a double click like on a computer mouse but two distinct pushes on the starter button maybe 1/4 to 1/2 seconds apart.

Works the same on the 2010 F4.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
It took me a long time to figure out how to change the modes.

with the engine running press the starter button twice. You need to do it pronounced and not too fast. Not a double click like on a computer mouse but two distinct pushes on the starter button maybe 1/4 to 1/2 seconds apart.

Works the same on the 2010 F4.
OK. Thanks...tomorrow will try it again...

Brutale 990R Black '10
Yamaha TMax '11
Husqvarna WR250 '10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode