First look at the 1090RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
First look at the 1090RR

My local MV dealer finally has a new 1090RR so went and had a quick look yesterday... couple of quick observations...

- is it just me or does it feel like a 'bigger' bike?
- the paint is not quite as luminous as the older bikes
- very quiet (compared to my 910R with the arrow!)
- very quick smooth revs

Anyway... get my first test ride this Thursday so will let you know how it goes

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM

it feels like a bigger bike, because it actually is a bigger bike, from all the stat sheets it physically is a taller bike.

it may be quiet in stock form, but with the arrow/cannonball exhaust on it, at that point its louder than 3 harleys with straight pipes put together, its that abnoxiously loud to say the least. its painfully loud at that point for everyone including the rider.

don't know how it revs compared to older models but it is very rev happy.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 PM

The new Arrow Thunder for that bike without the dbkiller in is supposed to be quite a bit louder than the older version sans dbkiller fitted on the old body style bikes. Can't wait for our first set of full systems to come in so we can see how they run on the 1090RR with the stock ECU. According to Arrow they are supposed to run just fine. I looked at the dyno chart and the curves before and after with stock ECU looks promising.

Motovation is now on Facebook -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Well - I took the 1090RR for a good test run yesterday. What can I say... Lots actually!

We have a group of guys and gals we loosely call the "Tauranga Poser Crew" (TPC for short) - every Thursday evening after work we take a couple of hours out and run over to a little country pub called "The Okoroire Hotel"... for reasons unknown we call it the "oko run" its about a 40km trip with a cold one at the end before heading back for another 40kms. A nice way to unwind!... we head over the Kaimai ranges from Tauranga to OKO, and the way back has a fantastic bit of road up the steep side of the ranges - 3-4kms of 10+ corners, fast, tight, great road surface... we call that little bit of road the "Kaimai GP" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsF_Yr6jrRg).

Anyway... i digress... I stopped in at GP Red Baron (our local, and brand new, MV Dealer here locally) at about 5pm. Rob (the owner) was taking the new F41000 and me on the 1090RR for the "oko run". He needed to have a couple of kms on the bikes ready for lots of test riding on the weekend - an I was happy to help! And the sun is out and warm.. we are down to t-shirt and shorts under the leathers here in NZ....

General bike impressions:

As i have a alluded to in the previous posts, the paint doesnt look quite the same as the older version, not quite so "luminous" and the bike feels bigger when you sit on it. The finish doesnt seem quite as high-end as the older Brutales (1078RR, 910R)... my thoughts we're: "It could do with some carbon!". Start the bike up, very quiet, smooth. Hop on.. quite roomy compared to my 910R. You do feel like you are on the bike (rather than "in" the bike, like the 910R). Give the wrist a quick flick and the revs run up and down quickly and smoothly - again with the smooth.

Sitting on the bike the suspension feels very soft compared to the 910R, but as you hop on you feel that it is "Just Right", the front and rear move up and down perfectly together (Rob commented that the 1090RR was the first new bike he had got on that felt perfect).

The OKO Run:

Rob starts up the F41000 and lets it warm up, its the first time on the new F4 for him, and acually the first time on a F4 (being a new MV dealer). They have aprilia as well, and he has been raving about the new RSV4 Factory... (that will all change...) We chit chat a bit, im itching to get out. Rev rev... We pull out onto the road, feeling the revs and gears. A couple of rev, brake, rev, brake to get the feel of it. The front brakes feel (and look) wicked! Down the stright road to a sharp left hander onto the road that will take us from Mount Maunganui to our TPC meeting point at Tauriko, just out of Tauranga.

I turn into the corner... JEBUS!!!! the thing turned in so quickly, and yet felt so easy - it gave me a shock! Pulled up a the lights next to Rob and said "SHIT! - you were not wrong" - he just grined back at me thru the visor.

Off thru the traffic and heading out of town, you can feel the extra torque of the bigger engine. Fueling is spot on, smooth from nothing upwards. Taking it easy we lane split a bit... dosnt feel the same thrill as the 901R... too quiet... Need. Arrow. Thunder.

Get to our meeting spot, everyone is waiting for us... time to go. Perfect! We pull out onto the main road over the Kaimais. Give the throttle a good twist and snap second... Front wheel comes up, nice and smooth tho. Im feeling pretty good about that The 910R give me the willys when i do that.. Must be that perfect fueling of the 1090RR along with the prefect ballence of the suspension.

The ride over to the oko is pretty uneventful. New bike. New Tyres. Cops etc... Tho the last 5kms i start to wind it up a bit. Feels really nice. Snaping the gears and twisting the wrist gives you some nice little head rush moments! MUCH more low down than mine. Start to use the slipper clutch, that feels great (I want one now!!). Easy down changes just add to the confidence...

A Cold One to cap the day off:

A nice cold one down at the oko soaks away the working day (cola for me on the demo bike!) lots of talk, bikes, bikes, bikes. Could go on for hours like that (and we noramlly do). Same old stories, same amount of laughs. You never get tired of it! Rob is just standing there... "This is an amazing bike. Amazing.". We talk about the up and coming MV owners trip to wellington in Jan 2011 - "I'll be taking the Brutale for that one", he says.

The tires on the 1090RR look nicely scrubed in now the sun is dipping down a bit, so time to head back over 'the hill'... everyone looking forward to the "Kaimai GP" on the way back... back out on the road now and you can feel everyone looking foward to the hill. Bit more agressive with the throttle now. Still very smooth. Very in control. Low down is amazing, you could play all day below 6/7000rpm and have a fantasic ride.

The Kaimai GP:

Thru some twisty country roads to the bottom of 'the hill'. Fast. Cornering feeling very settled at pace, something that is missing in the 910R. Out onto the main road and up the hill. Not many cars at this time in the evening, the road surface is still warm and we get a good clean run up. Im up behind the other guys, using the low down grunt to power out of the corner - the thing just SHOOTs out and gets the jump of the litre "sports bikes" and im passing them. Cornering feels really fantastic! This bike inspires alot of confidence, im leaning over more, with more pace than normal, passed someone i dont normally pass Feeling pretty good!... no, feeling GREAT! Final twisty corners at the top of the hill and i manage to grab a nice fistfull of twist as im passing a mate. Wheel comes up as im changing from left to right... i hope someone saw that! Im on a high!

Dragging the Corsaro Veloce:

Riding back down the other side, everyone slows down a bit. The boys in blue are normally out and about (but not today), so we take it easy. Im folling jim on his Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce (such a nice sound from those cans!) and keeping pace. Thru the toll bridge at the bottom coming into Tauranga.. there is a nice bit of double lane with plenty of forward vision. I pull into the other lane and next to the Veloce - we look at each other. hehe... (we had discussions earlier in the evening about the power of the two bikes) snap the wrist and we both launch forward. 4rd, revs get up a little, im pulling away (slightly). Snap 5th, still edging ahead - not by much tho. that 1200 V-twin has ALOT of go to it...

The others peal off to a bar where we have a de-breif and rob and i head back to GP Red Baron. We hit just about every red light on the stright bit of road before turning into road to his shop. The F4 provides some nice wheely moments - wish i had a video camera for that! They looked really good!

The question:

Back to the shop to put the bikes away.. "What did you think of the F4 rob?", i ask.. he replies: "Amazing, I have never ridden an F4 before - never really wanted to. However - i can see what all the fuss is about! Its so smooth, the power delivery is differnt than every other bike ive ridden. Amazing - Im glad i took on the MV dealership!!". We talk about about the history of MV, and then the question comes back to his other brand...

"So", i ask, "The F4 or the RSV4?".... a quick pause and the reply: "The F4" - Wicked - another convert!

My final words?

I want one!!! - The bike is much better than i had thought. Its so easy to ride smooth and fast. Confidence inspiring... Its still very much an MV! Still got the passion, the performance, the styling. I would need a arrow short and some carbon and some more bling (We are the "poser" crew!). Tho i could not help but miss the "sharp ended stick" that is the 910R.... maybe that could become the track bike? Hmmm.. Nope the misses will not allow two MV's in the stable!

- Many thanks to Rob and Jacqui for the fantatic opportunity to take a test ride beyond what a normal bike shop would allow. It was a real highlight!
Attached Images

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Nice writeup! Rode the 1090 back in May. Same shape, new under hood, still MV, refined, but still very much Brutale.
The best all-round bike out there. Period.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Yeah I agree, nice write up, I really want to take one for a test ride, but scared if i do that i'll want one and then start to neglect my 910R, with what i have done to mine it really needs to be extra special as mine rides soo well at the moment, and i can really hammer around the track, blew my mate away on his Duke SF's at the Creek the past weekend.

I have already told the misses that the F3 is my next bike, so cant really get the Brute even if i did want one!!

Cheers

James
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks guys... What i forgot to tell Jim on the Moto Morini is that I didnt have it pinned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney 910R View Post
Yeah I agree, nice write up, I really want to take one for a test ride, but scared if i do that i'll want one and then start to neglect my 910R, with what i have done to mine it really needs to be extra special as mine rides soo well at the moment, and i can really hammer around the track, blew my mate away on his Duke SF's at the Creek the past weekend.
Do it James! If you are like me, you will miss the 910R!

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

Last edited by greminn; 11-25-2010 at 07:23 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Nice write up Simon...and good to see you have a new 1090 in NZ before we have one here!!!

It is good to hear the reviews getting better and better for the 1090. I think it suffered from the 'initial negativity' that a new product always suffers; but now as the envy goggles have worn off, it is sounding like a great bike.

As I look to an upgrade later next year from my 910 - I was considering the 1078RR, but maybe my mind will change as the 1090 matures!

Great to see you LBS supporting the brand, and letting you have a real ride.

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutaleluke View Post
Nice write up Simon...and good to see you have a new 1090 in NZ before we have one here!!!
We get the sun before you lot as well

PS: what i forgot to mention to jim on the motomorini is that i was not pinning it.. still had some left in the throttle.

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

Last edited by greminn; 11-26-2010 at 01:14 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney 910R View Post

I have already told the misses that the F3 is my next bike, so cant really get the Brute even if i did want one!!

Cheers

James
If you ever rode a 750; what 910 is to 750, in terms of speed and acceleration, 1090 is to 910. Plus plusher suspension and stability because of longer swingarm and bigger caster angle of forks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode