More Fuel Leaks - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

More Fuel Leaks

Joy, joy. My garage has been smelling way too fuely recently and I couldn't figure out where the hell it was coming from. Having already replaced the quick release fuel line, I didn't suspect the MV and kept cursing my old Chevy SS. My 910R is leaking fuel from two of the three left side embedded nuts that hold the tank bracket on. What a drag. We'll see how good the warranty is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:25 PM

If you fueled the bike hot and then parked shortly afterward (did not burn much getting home) this happens...or has happened to me and others... I just make sure to ride some after fueling...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. That is exactly what happened. You actually had fuel seeping out of the bolt holes? I tightened them up a bit and it stopped. But with the bolts out it keeps leaking. Is it the fuel load? I have the tank off now, wonder if when I put it back on and the bolts take a load it will start leaking again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteAli
Thanks Steve. That is exactly what happened. You actually had fuel seeping out of the bolt holes? I tightened them up a bit and it stopped. But with the bolts out it keeps leaking. Is it the fuel load? I have the tank off now, wonder if when I put it back on and the bolts take a load it will start leaking again.
Not the bolt holes - at least in my case and others... It was coming from one or more of the rubber tubes that exit the left side of the engine. I thought that yours might be dropping gas on the bolts, giving the appearance of a leak there. It does not sound like you are dealing with the same problem, though.

Perhaps someone else has seen this or you may have a more serious issue...

Good luck, SteveC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

No, it is not coming from the tubes. I can see it seeping from the actual female nuts with the bolts out.. I think it is a defective tank. You got my hopes up there for a second but after a reread of your thread I believe that to be a different issue. I have left the tank off for now till day light and see if loading up the brakcets against the frame will make them leak again. Will see how it goes. Defintely not smoking near the thing presently. Thanks for you input Steve.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 PM

Good luck to you and let us know what is at the root of this. Hopefully, it is a unique issue (if it is serious, anyway) and we will not see more of this amongst the others.

Sorry to get your hopes up, I should have been more specific in my post and paid more attention to the specifics you described.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

No worries man, I appreciate any help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Bad tank is right! The threaded tubes for those brakets are welded in and I've always wondered if overtightening could overstress a welded joint, pure conjecture though as this is the first one I've heard of doing this. Even crashed bikes have rarely split their tanks from what I've heard.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your as usual knowledgable input James. I was wondering how the threaded tubes were held in. Of course the dealer says that since I have wrenched on the bike they don't want to deal with it. Never mind that the first time I took the tank off was when it was already leaking or that I use a torque wrench, blah, blah. But that was just one phone call, I will pursue it more shortly. With the bolts a little over hand tight, it stops leaking. With the bolts out, the rear and top tubes seep fuel. Never seen anything like it in all my years.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM

I've never heard of this before, as I mentioned, and if they push the self-pay I would probably be inclined to use some tank weld epoxy on the inside. The fuel pump flange assembly is very large so you have a lot of room to work with.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode