Suspension woes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to afeylad
Question Suspension woes

Hey all, I'm a new member here.. just bought a 2004 Brutale S with 25,000kms on it.

I love the bike, it's a visceral beast.. My only problem is the harshness of the suspension, front in particular!

I went to adjust the front spring pre-load and compression, only to find both were already wound completely down to the softest settings.. And I needed to go softer/more plaint!

This is okay for cruising at under 120 kmh. But pushing at higher speeds on my rough Sydney/Australian roads becomes physically torturous, and the bike highly unsettled..

It is obvious some suspension work is needed! Now, not been the most mechanically minded person around, some advice would be massively appreciated.. Lighter springs, re-valving, oil etc.

Cheers guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Hi and welcomew to the forum.
When you say "wound down to the softest settings" I'm assuming you meant wound "out" or anti-clockwise as that's the softest compression damping setting or in the case of preload, the minimum preload setting.
If they are in fact at the minimum setting then it's time for a softer set of springs, though I've got no advice on suppliers of softer springs.
Lastly, sorry about the mighty Kiwi league team beating up on the Kangaroos on the weekend. You can't win 'em all.
Dave.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:49 PM

Best advice, take it to either Jim at ZenoDamper in Lidcombe or Terry Hay at Shock treatment, i took my 910R to zeno and had some Ohlins needles and other stuff put in and then he set them up for me and Sydney roads, i can now ride it all day long with out the harsh kick in the kidneys and its still firm enough to track days at the Creek.

by the way the Brutale will always bit firmer than a Jap bike unless you completely change the forks and shock.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

You are correct about the winding out of the settings in a anti-clockwise direction. I'm only 80 kilos wringing wet, so definitely not a heavy weight! And it was nice to see the Kiwis beat us in the footy, I get sick of watching aussies win! lol

I'd assumed lighter springs would be the go.. has anyone done this, can they recommend springs and suppliers?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Remember that suspensions changes at the rear of the bike affect how the front feels. If I were you and had an interest in it, I would read through some of the suspension setting threads. The "holy suspension settings batman" thread gives you a pretty good idea of where you should be.

I would make sure the sag and ride height front and rear are set correctly. This is not addressed in the owners manual, but in the shop manual. Then, and only then, would I start adjusting preload, compression, and rebound.

Do NOT rely on common wisdom found in magazines. The factory settings don't bear any relation to the settings recommended by suspension gurus, but I have found through trial and error the factory settings are damn good.

Lastly, if you don't care about any of this, take it to some one who has set up MVs before and pay him to do it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 AM

For what it's worth I weigh 70kg and use the stock suspension on roughly medium settings (front). It's an interesting ride on twisty bumpy Aussie roads but I wouldn't have it any other way as the bike tells you exactly what it's doing.

When I have a go on my friend's Japanese bikes I can't believe how soft they are (read: no feeling or feedback at all - it's horrible).

No harm in going for a few more rides as it is, see if you get used to it mate Who knows you may discover a new you?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM

Welcome! i bet the suspension oil is factory & have not been service for 6years therefore is stuffed go get it change.

i just replace my suspension oil on the weekend what a feeling smooth & more responsive.

i would go to a suspension tech get it re-valve & place a 5W oil, also re-tune both front & rear shocks to your weight with your ridding gear.

I feel the need, the need for corner speed!
Rollen Artwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--~~~~
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! Will take it to a suspension guru this week.. Looking forward to been a part of the MV Agusta family.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Afeylad, if you really wanna feel part of the family there is a big ride this weekend starting at the Mobile garage in Berowra at 6:30am on Sunday going to Newendoc, would be great to see you there and you can check out a few o fthe other guy's brutes.

James
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney 910R View Post
Afeylad, if you really wanna feel part of the family there is a big ride this weekend starting at the Mobile garage in Berowra at 6:30am on Sunday going to Newendoc, would be great to see you there and you can check out a few o fthe other guy's brutes.

James
+1

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode