No coolant temperature reading - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

No coolant temperature reading

I took my Brutale 910 for a ride yesterday. Everything seemed normal at first. After a few kilometres the coolant temperatures on the display just went berserk in a couple of seconds. It went from normal operating temperatures to 120 C, and then to the three blinking lines that indicate that the temperature is very low. I stopped immediately, but there was no indication of a high engine temperature, or lack of coolant. The ride home went well, but with the three lines indicating very low engine temperature still blinking.

When I took the bike out later in the evening, the 3 blinking lines wouldn’t go away even if normal engine temperature should have been reached after a few kilometres.

Has anyone else experienced this, and know the cause of the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 AM

Sounds like a crook temp sensor to me ?? others may have different ideas, locate the sensor & test it with a VOM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yep....failed sensor...that's where i would head. Maybe just a bad wiring connection.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Established Member

I would also try dissconnecting the clocks for 30 seconds. I had something similar on my KTM and that cured it. Failing that then as the others have already said prob a faulty sensor or connection
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
I took my Brutale 910 for a ride yesterday. Everything seemed normal at first. After a few kilometres the coolant temperatures on the display just went berserk in a couple of seconds. It went from normal operating temperatures to 120 C, and then to the three blinking lines that indicate that the temperature is very low. I stopped immediately, but there was no indication of a high engine temperature, or lack of coolant. The ride home went well, but with the three lines indicating very low engine temperature still blinking.

When I took the bike out later in the evening, the 3 blinking lines wouldn’t go away even if normal engine temperature should have been reached after a few kilometres.

Has anyone else experienced this, and know the cause of the problem?

hi - did anyone else have any more thoughts / cures over this ? my 989r just over a year old, 3k has done exactly the same today, starting flashing unrealistic and erratic temp then went to three flashing lines where it has stayed all day..... bike still under warranty but pain in the neck to take to nearest dealers so would like to fix it myself if poss.........., thanks amanda
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Established Member

my 1078 did this at 2500k's. It went crazy jumping all over the place then finally just gave up and wouldn't show anything. It was the temp sender, took nearly 3 months to get a replacement, but finally came in and all is good again.

BTW, not sure on your 910 or 989, but on the 1078, I have only one sender that is next to the thermostat in the head (it has 4 leads coming straight out of it that then go into a plug about 60mm away. The 910 has two sender units from what I've seen, one in the head (same position as mine) and an extra one in the radiator tank. I suspect it is the one near the thermostat that is the problem as that's the one that controls the temp guages (radiator tank switch controls the thermo fans - easy way to check is to see if your fans coming on normally).

Color pic is mine (1078) showing 4 leads coming out of it, diagram is probably what your's looks like.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by brutale4me; 06-06-2011 at 01:34 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutale4me View Post
my 1078 did this at 2500k's. It went crazy jumping all over the place then finally just gave up and wouldn't show anything. It was the temp sender, took nearly 3 months to get a replacement, but finally came in and all is good again.

BTW, not sure on your 910 or 989, but on the 1078, I have only one sender that is next to the thermostat in the head (it has 4 leads coming straight out of it that then go into a plug about 60mm away. The 910 has two sender units from what I've seen, one in the head (same position as mine) and an extra one in the radiator tank. I suspect it is the one near the thermostat that is the problem as that's the one that controls the temp guages (radiator tank switch controls the thermo fans - easy way to check is to see if your fans coming on normally).

Color pic is mine (1078) showing 4 leads coming out of it, diagram is probably what your's looks like.

Hope that helps.

thanks - will have a look and test it - many thanks amanda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode