Write-Up; Microtec ECU and full Arrow Thunder install - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Write-Up; Microtec ECU and full Arrow Thunder install

I had been meaning to write this post a couple weeks ago, but things didn’t go exactly as planned. Having been turning a wrench for years, I’m no longer surprised by these things, but they still frustrate, especially when dealing with my toys!! But we’ll get to that momentary…

The saga began a couple of weeks ago when I decided to take the upcoming Monday off from work. I could spend the weekend installing the Arrow Thunder (from MotovationUSA) and Microtec ECU (from Chris at X-Bikes). Then on Sunday night, I’d ride up to have dinner with my parents—about 100 miles north of me here in San Diego—and stay the night. On Monday morning, at the recommendation of another board member, I had an appointment with Tige at CycleMall in Tustin for ECU mapping. What a great couple of days…I was totally pumped up.

I started Saturday afternoon with tear down; this was the first time I had taken the bike apart this much. I bought the bike (2009 Brutale 1078RR) this past April and have loved every mile. The desire to fix the absolute crap low-end fueling (not to mention the sale of my Kawi 10r) led me to Chris and the Microtec. And while we’re at it, let’s go full Arrow exhaust!!

The removal of the old cans is pretty straightforward…it’s the one-piece header/cat that took a little extra thought, but not bad by any means. Once everything is unbolted, it is a tight fit to drop the whole header/cat with the radiator in the way (as documented in other posts). Next, I removed the gas tank and airbox; these were also pretty easy to do. I read prior posts which were very helpful and let me know what to expect. With the bike apart, I called it a night, ready to start install/reassembly early on Sunday.

I wish I could recall the member that suggested assembling the entire exhaust before cinching down the x-shaped header retainers…great tip. The Arrow was very easy to assemble and fit great. Piece of cake.

There were several wires to unplug to get out the ECU, but again well documented thanks to other post on this great board. The Microtec dropped right in; the location of the plug on the ECU for the USB adaptor slightly interferes with one of the electrical plugs, but this is only a minor deal. The major deal came after I plugged the Brutie into my computer to try out the fancy ECU.

Before I even had a chance to start the bike after installing all the fun parts, I managed to transmit a blank map to the ECU, to overwrite Chris’ preloaded base-map for my bike and mods. Yeah, TOTAL rookie move…such a dumb-ass!! I can confirm that the bike won’t do crap with a map full of zeros. It took just about 5 minutes of me convincing myself that I was indeed that stupid, and another 30 minutes of me beating myself up about it. One of the great things about this ECU is that I simply needed Chris to email me the proper map for me to upload, and I would be on my way! It was around 4pm Sunday here in California and 12mid where Chris was in the UK so I figured my email to him wouldn’t be seen until the morning which is when I was supposed to be 100 miles north for a dyno appointment. Hmm…let’s try a desperate post to the board. I also thought I’d skype Chris and leave a message to hopefully hear back first thing when the work day starts. To my complete surprise, Chris answered! I felt terrible to have disturbed him so early on Monday. Chris was an absolute gentleman and more than willing to help. Within minutes, I had the proper map (the bike fired right up and ran great after TPS reset) and was still in disbelief of the level of service above and beyond anything I could have asked for or imaged. Chris, you truly are a rockstar in my book…if I’m ever lucky enough to meet you in person, drinks are on me, my friend!!!

With that behind, I was on my bike and off to my parents for dinner. The ride up is main mutli-lane freeway. The fueling is light-years ahead of the stock mapping; throttle response is no longer a crap-shoot at part throttle. Perhaps I was expecting the worst, but the exhaust with baffle is not as loud as I thought it would be. I haven’t had a chance to hear it w/o the baffle. Overall, I am extremely please with the all of the upgrades and would recommend them.

I was at CycleMall (CM) right as they opened on Monday morning. Shortly after, my bike was on the dyno and Tige started to map. CM works mostly on track/race bikes and has focused on suspension. Lately, they have done some Microtec tuning for Ducati’s and came with a blessing from Chris and another board member so I felt confident in going there. Tige was totally cool with me hanging out in the dyno room and watching how the process went. I stepped out for lunch and returned a bit later in the day. Tige says the bike is mostly done and wants me to take a spin. As we start to remove her from the dyno, he notices one of the sensor plugs in the exhaust had popped out and surmises this was the reason for some unexpected readings he had experienced. We need to retune before the test spin, so back on the dyno we go. Until…

Some of you may have seen my post about the stuck ignition…this is when it had happened. As Tige was to restart the mapping session, the key absolutely would not turn from the OFF position. It sure felt like it wanted to, but something was blocking it. We tried EVERYTHING for a good hour to try to get that key to turn. I couldn’t believe it. It worked fine in gas cap and trunk release, but wouldn’t turn the ignition. When I finally accepted defeat, I had my fiancé drive up to get me and I borrowed a friend’s trailer to get the Brutie back to San Diego for warranty repair on the ignition. Then I’d have to bring the bike back to Tustin for final tune. What a mess.

I purchased my bike at GPMotorcycle at brought it back to them. They’d never seen anything like it. They had a locksmith come in and open up the ignition cylinder where they found a small unfinished bit of metal that had broke off and jammed the lock. They cleaned it all up and the cylinder works as good as it ever did. Jesse and the guys there are great and it was covered under warranty. Just yesterday I brought the bike back to Tige at CM for the mapping (fingers-crossed) and will be picking it up on Wednesday…no waiting for it this time!!

So the story will continue and I’ll be sure to add the final chapter. Stay tuned…

Vendor feedback:

MotovationUSA: I buy almost all my stuff from these guys. They are top-notch and Roland was very accommodating in my request for a custom Arrow set-up. Arrow was not able to create what I wanted and this is no fault of Roland…I appreciate him going to bat for me. The exhaust is well crafted and high quality.

X-Bikes: What can I say about Chris that hasn’t been said? The product alone is outstanding…add in Chris’ phenomenal service and you cannot go wrong. Chris is awesome.

CycleMall: So far, so good. Tige and staff are knowledgeable and way cool. Final thoughts to come when tuning is completed.

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4

Last edited by VoltesV; 10-25-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Established Member

Top Quality read buddy looking forward to the final instalment. Do you know if there is a big difference between the Arrow and the full MV Corse? I really fancy the full Titanium MV Corse exhaust
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 AM
pgm
Established Member

great write up be interesting to see what results you get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mac View Post
Top Quality read buddy looking forward to the final instalment. Do you know if there is a big difference between the Arrow and the full MV Corse? I really fancy the full Titanium MV Corse exhaust
Thanks, O-mac. I don't have any experience with the MV Corse exhaust...but that ti version is really nice!!

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Any chance that you'll be posting a video somewhere? I'm really curious to hear if the sound of the bike changed with the MicroTec ECU.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up Good Stuff

Thanks for the great read

You have indeed, unlocked all the goodness an MV motor can provide

Just curious, are you planning on utilising the other Microtec configurations like getting wheel sensors, auto tune etc?

I'll be following your impressions for what it's like on the road

Last edited by Rob_b; 10-25-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: swapped parameters for configurations
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Really nice write up, thumbs up for Chris! Post some dyno graphs if you can.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltesV View Post
Thanks, O-mac. I don't have any experience with the MV Corse exhaust...but that ti version is really nice!!
It's the sound I'm courious about chief, I dunno what the cops are like where you are but here in Scotland if it's a touch to loud you get reamed by the law.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltesV View Post

Did the bracket/connectors bother you with installing the ECU?
Does the dimlight work properly when running idle?

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan250 View Post
Any chance that you'll be posting a video somewhere? I'm really curious to hear if the sound of the bike changed with the MicroTec ECU.
Sorry, but I didn't take any video. The Arrow certainly did alter the sound...I don't think the ECU would have much effect on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_b View Post
Just curious, are you planning on utilising the other Microtec configurations like getting wheel sensors, auto tune etc?
For now, I don't plan on going that all-out. Perhaps somewhere down the line I may be interested, but was more concerned with the fueling which seems to be cured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mac View Post
It's the sound I'm courious about chief, I dunno what the cops are like where you are but here in Scotland if it's a touch to loud you get reamed by the law.
Sound is very subjective...as mentioned, I thought the Arrow would be even louder than it is (though I have yet to hear it w/o the db killer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
Did the bracket/connectors bother you with installing the ECU?
Does the dimlight work properly when running idle?
The connectors were close, but did not cause any problems other than being a tight fit. The neutral light does stay dimly lit when the bike is in gear. Hope to see if Chris has a fix for that.

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode