Brutale as a daily commuter - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Brutale as a daily commuter

ok i made the mistake of doing a test ride on a 2010 990R a few weeks ago.

big mistake, now probably like all of you, i want one.

logically the bike doesn't make sense for me.

1. its expensive compared to comparable bikes, ie speed triple.
2. no luggage attachments for touring or even light touring
3. gas mileage isn't great, does it really only get 25mpg even if ridden conservatively on hwy speeds (can this be fixed on the newer models 2010? with pc3 or something?)
4. throttle response was smooth but obviously at the get go its a little abrupt but not so bad.
5, no wind protection so at hwy speeds of 60-70mph feels like you are getting beat up after some time.

but.

the thing goes exactly where you want it to go just by thinking and the fact that the bike really does "disappear" beneath you when you are riding is insanely cool.

can't get the almost telepathic nature of the handling out of my head, and obviously the bike is gorgeous.

question to you folks especially with the 2010 990R, how is the bike for just daily commuting and such? anyone do this at all?

Yes crazy as it may sound i want to use this bike as both a daily commuter for going to 7-11 and also weekend cruising rides, etc.

i know its more of a naked track bike/canyon bike really, but wondering what you all use the biek for except for a second bike.

thanks.

PS. obviously as you can tell i'm trying to convince myself not to buy one of these bikes, obviously not working that well LOL. but damn they seem like bikes that are just way too fun to ride at times. i'm in the dc area so i ride all year round, save for snow and ice .

Last edited by roadbiking; 10-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Depending on where you live (weather) and what sort of commute, the Brute could fit the bill.
I do commute every day, alternating between my two bikes. A great way to get around.
Regarding luggage, MV Corse makes a very good tank bag for the Brute and there's a mob in the US who makes a nice bag that attaches to the rear seat (Search for "Elite Sak"). You can also fit a Ventura rack and bag.

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM

You would be surprised at what people commute on.

I was doing 100km/day commute until i recently bought another car.

The Brute is a fantastic bike but you need to decide what is the most important thing for what you want out of a bike.

You can use any bike for commuting it's just a matter of what you are willing to compromise. You can get a Ventura rack for the MV's so luggage should not be an issue. My only concern with doing a lot of riding on an MV is i would be paranoid about the rear hub so this bike would need more maintenance than others. Providing you do the work, it will run just fine If you can do the basics yourself, maintenance is very cheap

**Admin edited: I have you on ignore **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Established Member

Done 3400 miles on mine since May , commuting to work 25 mile round trip , weekend fun and 440 mile comfortable round trip in 24 hours etc
Comfort is surprisingly very good , fuel consumption not so but it is pretty quick and as you say handles like nothing else , and the brakes are awesome .

Oh yes looks ok too .

Buy one
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

so i've been reading about the rear hub issue but most threads are just saying that its expensive to fix and such.

what is the deal? was it a design flaw weak bearings or hubs?

besides checking the rear hub by taking it apart every month is there any other preventative thing that can be done?

or is this just a fluke thing?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
The 2010 bikes will not have this issue. They have changed the needle bearing set up on the rear hub to fix the problems with failure and 'need for extra care'.

I don't think there is a need to concern yourself with this weakness on the 990R.

The bigger issues to focus on for the Brute as a commuter (I have a 910s which is my 'car')

- Luggage (I went with the Ventura rack system which I take on and off as required),
- Fuel - traffic riding is the suc, and does reduce fuel economy,
- Chicks (and blokes) - they will dig you, and you will need to be ready for this by choosing a cool helmet and attire,
- Punctuality - you can be late for work, and late home, cos' especially in nice weather, you will just keep riding,
- Shit eating grin - people you work with will think you are a little strange, as you will arrive at work smiling.

I think that is about it...

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM

New Site Garage
I commute almost daily with mine in a hilly urban environment (no freeway in my commute). Not as exhilarating as hitting the twisties on week-ends but much more fun than taking the cage. And mine is the 750 that's far less smooth and comfortable than the newer models.
For small trips, I have a www.luggagelocker.com tail bag but you could complement that with a tank bag.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM

i was glad to see some of these posts about various luggage options. I wasn't sure what I would get for long trips but it looks like there are some good choices available. Thanks!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutaleluke View Post
The 2010 bikes will not have this issue. They have changed the needle bearing set up on the rear hub to fix the problems with failure and 'need for extra care'.

I don't think there is a need to concern yourself with this weakness on the 990R.

The bigger issues to focus on for the Brute as a commuter (I have a 910s which is my 'car')

- Luggage (I went with the Ventura rack system which I take on and off as required),
- Fuel - traffic riding is the suc, and does reduce fuel economy,
- Chicks (and blokes) - they will dig you, and you will need to be ready for this by choosing a cool helmet and attire,
- Punctuality - you can be late for work, and late home, cos' especially in nice weather, you will just keep riding,
- Shit eating grin - people you work with will think you are a little strange, as you will arrive at work smiling.

I think that is about it...

I'm a rider
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM

I have a 910S (2006) that I commute on daily in the Northeast US. I am fine, my commute is about 25-30 miles roundtrip quick in the am, but usually heavy traffic at night. I also use the bike to rip on the weekends and have found it fine for both.

As far as the maintenance goes, I am exactly at 7,500 miles and will look at the bearing over the winter as there are really only about two weeks left before its just too cold to ride in the morning (last two days were around 35F). But no issues with the bearing (I have heard so long as your chain is left slack enough and you dont hose down the hub you will be fine).

Only other maintenance I did do was to flush the coolant and replace with Peak 50/50. I know thats probably frowned upon here but until I did it the OEM stuff bubbled out everyday and after I have not had a single issue - even in heavy traffic on 90 degree days.

I say get it, its a fun bike and in traffic they are all exactly the same anyway-hot and sweaty (except you'll look cool)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode