Minimum Experience! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Minimum Experience!

Hi all,
This is my first post on here.
I have to say, it's been fun reading all of your stories.

So, my situation is this....
32yo. Male. Limited experience with riding.
I have about 1 years riding under my belt. I don't ride everyday. I pretty much drive my car in crappy weather etc. I ride just to unwind and relax.

I was originally looking at a Ducati Monster 696 as my next bike. But after seeing the Brutale, I just can't get it out of my mind. I just love the look of this bike.

So my question is.... Is this bike too much of a handful for a rider of my experience?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Mort

Last edited by Mort78; 10-20-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 AM

Obviously I don't know your level of ability - + You didn't say what you have been riding - but I would be seriously wary of taking on a Brutale just yet. If you meant a Monster 696 that sounds like a much better route to take for now and then take out the Brutale rather than have a Brutale take you out...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 AM

Mort, what bike have you learned on?

Your temperament, natural skill, concentration, alertness, maturity - are all factors in answering your question. Everyone is different.

It is certainly possible for a rider to control a Brutale after a year of riding. But not all riders! If you are uncomfortable with the idea at this stage, you could get an intermediate bike for another year to get your skills up. Brutales are very fast and capable bikes, but the bike won't kill you - you will kill you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 AM

Mort78, I'll tell you what my DAS instructor has told me.
Any motorbike you buy today have too much of a handfull for you.
It all comes down to what you do with that power.
Self-control, composure, that's what you need.
The Brutale 750cc is my first bike and I don't regret my choice but you got to respect it and decide if you want to ride frantic or for a long time especially while you build up experience.

It is too much of a temptation to follow very experienced riders and follow them the same way while we don't have the experience.
Just remember that they won't be responsible for you nor your bike when and if you slide.

Note: I don't know where you are from so I explain. A DAS is a Direct Access Motorcycle training. It means you get 4 days training and then from nothing you can ride any CC bike.
That's a great course. Getting the driving licence is just the beginning though. Consider BikeSafe if you are in UK followed by RoSPA or IAM and track days.

Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xeorex; 10-20-2010 at 04:05 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys....

Totale: Sorry for the mistake with regards to the monster. Yes I meant the 696. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Rents: As you you know, Australia came out with the Qride program a while back. I have basically only ridden the Honda CB400 and I have ridden the Suzuki GS500 for the last year. Very basic bikes I know.
I'm not a hoon, but I understand the urge to give it a squirt every now and then I might take Totale's advice and wait for another year. As they say, good things come to those who wait.

Thanks again,
Mort
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Xeorex.... I was replying to the others when you were posting yours I think.

I fully understand what your saying. I just wanted to get some advice from people who rode them everyday. I don't want to fall into the trap of buying something so powerful or hard to ride that the joy of riding goes away.

I think the problem for me is, I only ride once or twice a fortnight. My car is my everyday travel. So I don't get out to practice everyday. I hope that makes sense.

Again, thanks for your advice. I'm going to do an advanced riders course soon, so I will have a chat with the instructor there also
Cheers,
Mort
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort78 View Post
I only ride once or twice a fortnight. My car is my everyday travel. So I don't get out to practice everyday
This makes a lot of sense.
Consider an F4
She would be like a very beautiful woman you can touch once a year (for birthday), yet never naked.

Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xeorex; 10-20-2010 at 05:13 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Established Member

If you like the bike buy it . It's already been said , you're the one in control .
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
I tend to believe the most significant input in this equation is the people you ride with.

If you ride with people who push the limit and like to ride hard, then I fear the Brute may be too much for you. It is riding in these situation where a bike like the Brute will bring you unstuck - quickly.

On the other hand, if you ride alone mostly or with sensible and conservative 'mates' then the Brute is a great way to learn. I believe that if sensible, a bike like an MV Brutale has enough suspension, acceleration and brakes to save you in many situations.

This is my view and experience - the people you ride with are an important factor in determining how safe a super fast (not fast) bike will be for you.

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM

hey luke i like your avatar!!

that said i agree with you completely, your in control and the brute will do exactly what you ask of it, once you have been riding it for a while then you can start to push a little and then you will find out what they can do and trust me its alot!! ride it for while and then it to the track where can you can really feel the power in a controled envoiroment.

James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode