7,500 Mile Interval Service - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

7,500 Mile Interval Service

Hello All,

I previously owned a 2005 Brutale 750S for a short while and was lucky enough to put a couple thousand miles on it. The bike brought a smile to my face every time I rode it and I knew there was only one thing that would ever make me sell itÖ I ended up purchasing an engagement ring and have been bike-less for the past year. Iím really considering another Brutale. Iíve searched high and low but havenít found anything in regards to maintenance/service cost. I know itís relative to your location but maybe this would be a good thread to post your average cost on the 7,500 mile service at a dealership or at a local shop.

For anybody that lives in San Antonio Iíd love to know where you get your bike serviced. Ducati San Antonio wants $900 for labor + $200-$300 in parts i.e., (fluids, shims and whatever else they can think of putting on the bike at that time.) For a complete 7,500 mile interval service Iím looking at $1,100 on the low side!? Does this seem correct? Are yaĎll paying this much every where else in the US? Iíve also thought about taking the Brute to the dealer for the valve adjustment (still need to call for pricing) and finding a good mechanic to maintain the rest of the bike such as the brakes, fluids, forks, electrical, etc. Iím good enough to change the oil and a few other small things but donít have the knowledge or tools to work on the other 97% of the bike. Iíd really love to own it for the LONG HAUL but I know the wife/checkbook wonít go for a toy that would potentially cost $1,100 every 7,500 miles. Let me know if ya'll have any creative suggestions or if this bike is just out of my league.

Thanks in advance.

ARK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM

I just took my 910R in for the 7500 mile service. I was quoted about the same as what you were. There are quite few things that are called for at this service such as, fuel filter replaced, service the rear hub bearings, valve clearance check, throttle bodies adjusted, and CO level checked are a few of the major items.

I guess if you want to knock the price down you can tell them specifically what you want done and then do the rest yourself.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM

I would tell them to remove the valve check/adjustment out of the price quote. My bike has 20K on the clock and I have yet to need a valve adjustment. But Ive been paying the damn fee to have them checked every other service! That alone will knock down the price of the service by a nice nice amount.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM

I'm having my 7500 mile service done on my 910R Brutale as we speak. The service is 1100.00, and I have been told that the mechanic had to adjust 5 valves!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Interesting. I have had 3 valve checks done, the least one was at 18500 miles, and they are all still within spec. Not a single valve has been shimmed to date.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Aside from G. Rand has anyone actually had a mechanic adjust the valves because they were way out?

How will the bike run/feel if the valves are out? Is there a way we can pick this up without having to pull the top of the engine off?

$1,100 sounds nuts. I'd replace filters and other consumables but as for checking things i'd leave it (unless it's under warranty). If the bike runs well then why bother spending $$$ to have someone say 'it runs well'? Save the cash for when something breaks.

I have the 24,000km service coming up at the start of the New Year on my S4R. Warranty runs out in March so i don't think i'll bother with the whole valve thing unless it costs me peanuts. Oil, filters, belts, sure. It runs fine so i don't see the point.

**Admin edited: I have you on ignore **
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Truthfully valves are not all that hard to adjust, but I agree leave them they are most likely fine-unless you have developed an audible clicking noise. As far a checking the clearance the manual can walk you through that if its that important to you and you will learn something.

I am right about at the 7,500 mile point on my 910s. Fortunately winter is nearing and I am in the northeast so I will have quite a bit of time to tinker. Ill change the plugs, fuel filter and air filter myself. Oil gets done right at the end of the season (cheap stuff) and again in the spring (Mobil1 full synthetic). The only thing I have not done is the rear bearing check but It does not seem to be too difficult so long as you follow the proper directions and tork settings (and this gave me a reason to buy a new S&K tork wrench anyway!). I view it as a learning experience with the goal being that I know this bike inside and out over the next year or so.

I used to have a friend (very good mechanic) who would say "If someone can build it, then you can take it apart and put it back together - just pay attention and take your time"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 PM

I was quoted $300-$400 plus up to $200 for parts at motorider near milwaukee for the 7500 mile service, that includes valve check
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen View Post
I was quoted $300-$400 plus up to $200 for parts at motorider near milwaukee for the 7500 mile service, that includes valve check
Now thats cheap!!! Mine cost me about $1200 at Pro Italia.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Not very lucky..

I had one valve that needed adjusting at my 7500 mile service. I did my service at home and when I found the valve clearance too tight, I took the bike completely dismantled to the dealer in San Francisco and they charged me an hour of labor. They were going to charge me around $900 dollars, valve check included, but that was about 2 years ago.

My understanding is that the shim under bucket (not sure if I'm remembering that name correctly) valves get tighter as time goes on, so that's why I took it in. Even though some members have found valves in need of adjustment at 600 miles, I don't think that's the norm. I would definitely have them checked at 7500 miles just for the peace of mind.....my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode