Electrical Gremlins - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Gremlins

OK, please tell me someone else has had this happen.

My left turn signal stopped working, but only when the bike is running, kill the motor and it works fine. The right signal works fine, all the time.

If I accelerate past 8,000 rpm, the highbeam turns itself on. SLow down or upshift, the low beam comes back on.

I wish I was joking, but this is the most bizzare thing I have ever experienced. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 PM

I was having some strange signal behavior - mostly failing and then coming back on miles later - until I removed the headlight and exercised all the patches (unplugged and replugged all the connections). Everything's been fine since then.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to curi0usmind
I had a problem with the trip counter and electrical guages on my old bike. It turns out that water got into something when i was washing. i started being careful with spraying water in that area and the problem went away.

Live to Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 07:29 AM

Have had my bike since April. No problems until this morning when I noticed the left indicator on (not blinking). The ignition key was not in. I could not switch it off. Everything else was fine when I started the bike, but the light stayed on. And it stayed on when I switched the ignition off. It switched itself off after a hour. Anyone experienced this problem and what was the cause and remedy? Thanks,

PS Didn't wash the bike and it has never been out in the rain.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 AM
SPY

I had the exact same problem!! My 910 has been in the shop for 2 weeks trying to fix the problem..no word yet, ill keep you posted as soon as i find out what was needed to fix it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 10:45 AM

Hi Guys,

A longstanding issue on Brutale. Some have fixed by reterminating as mentioned above and some have found bad grounds.

I suggest ensuring your dealer knows about all of these issues. They will most likely trace it to the 'junction box' which controls this behaviour on Brutales. I read on here within the last couple of weeks that they have been through many revs of this part but it is still not fixed. One owner, forgive me I've forgotten the username, has isolated the issue to a bad trace on the circuit.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
Hi Guys,

A longstanding issue on Brutale. Some have fixed by reterminating as mentioned above and some have found bad grounds.

I suggest ensuring your dealer knows about all of these issues. They will most likely trace it to the 'junction box' which controls this behaviour on Brutales. I read on here within the last couple of weeks that they have been through many revs of this part but it is still not fixed. One owner, forgive me I've forgotten the username, has isolated the issue to a bad trace on the circuit.

Thanks, this great info.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Tonight I had to cut my fun short, as my headlight decided to shut off altogether several times in a pack of 10+ riders (following all the posted speed limits ....not a hooligan in the bunch ). I'm pulling the headlight an giving everything a good once over tomorrow morning, thats just too damn dangerous for me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I'll revive this thread with a new post. On my Brutale, the highbeams will flick on for just a moment, as if I'm flashing them at someone. Usually happens when downshifting, operating at low speeds, like when coming to a stop at a light or when entering my garage. I'm sure a lot of drivers think i'm trying to signal to them somehow, and are confused.

I guess there are a variety of electrical weirdorama problems that can occur. I'll count myself lucky and reterminate.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:01 PM

When I bought my Brutale (used) one of the first problems I got was an electrical one.

The bike had been functioning fine for over a week of daily riding, and then suddenly, after a ride, I got home, shut off the bike and lo and behold the bike would not turn off. I had the key removed and it was still running!

The last thing I did that day was shorten the front turn signal light by removing the little extension piece installed on the US bikes to comply with regulations... so I suspected that it had something to do with that wiring up front.

I removed the headlight, and I discovered that one of the electrical prongs in the headlight coupler was detached (green wire, to be exact).... I disconnected the headlight, did a little fiddling with the wires to make sure all was intact and reconnected it. Problem solved. Something there was causing a ground that created the electrical "funkiness"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode