Recommended RPM ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Recommended RPM ?

What is the recommended RPM range.
I read posts saying using low and high range.
The Use and maintenance manual states:
"Avoid high gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively low rpm) as well as low gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively high rpm)"

All this is very subjectif with a range from 0 to 17k, red light coming up at 14.5k especially when I know some Harleys with max 7k rpm.

Would it be normal to be at 4.5k/5.5k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?
Or would it be better at 4k to 7k range? Or 6k to 9k?

I look forward to get some insight from experienced MV Agusta owners.

Last edited by xeorex; 09-24-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM

My cruising is around 5-7k normally, in 6th gear. That's around 100-130 km/h. More on the lower side though. Usually I just drive around 100km/h since I am preserving my tires in the middle of the profile.

You should avoid long situations under 3k RPM.

First gear, 30 mph and 10k RPM is not normal. 7k-12k is not a good range for long distances. If you are doing it in 1 or 2nd gear, you will torture the engine. If you would be doing it in 5 and 6th, your arms would fall off since that would speeds in range of 200km/h.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeorex View Post
I read posts saying using low and high range...

Would it be normal to be at 10k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance.
Do you mean for regular (normal) STREET driving? Operating a bike of these CC's in "normal" street riding conditions should be about 3k-6k rpm.

If you are traveling 30mph with 10k rpm on a normal street ride, I believe most will agree (sorry to be frank) maximizing horsepower on low speed street ride is pretty stupid. Plus, if you do that everyday, that will just shorten the engine's life.

Quote:
Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?
Operating at those rpm is ideal only for racing/ very high performance, so if you're on a race track, the higher you are able to maintain rev range so as to extract maximum horsepower, sure it's good.

Otherwise, that rev range is not recommended for safe/lawful street use, outside of just brief bursts when needed to accelerate out of a situation. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 09-23-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
"Avoid high gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively low rpm) as well as low gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively high rpm)"

All this is very subjectif with a range from 0 to 17k, red light coming up at 14.5k especially when I know some Harleys with max 7k rpm.

Would it be normal to be at 10k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?

I prefer to ride by feel more than anything.. and I spend very little time in first gear but I would agree with others that 10k might be a little high but even if it is you shouldn't be in 1st that long.
If it feels like its luggin it- shift down.. if it feels like she's buzzing out of control shift up... Torque feel is great indicator as well. I hope you're not focusing too much on your Tach because you wouldn't be watching out for that car getting ready to turn left infront of you-
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Sure it is not 10k, I looked more closely tonight, it was more 4.5-5.5k at 30mph first fear.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyknuckle View Post
I prefer to ride by feel more than anything.. and I spend very little time in first gear but I would agree with others that 10k might be a little high but even if it is you shouldn't be in 1st that long.
If it feels like its luggin it- shift down.. if it feels like she's buzzing out of control shift up... Torque feel is great indicator as well. I hope you're not focusing too much on your Tach because you wouldn't be watching out for that car getting ready to turn left infront of you-
Agreed. I was looking for some input. I didn't want to feel great about my riding for some to come and say I change my gear to quickly from 1st to 4st gear and doing 60mph. That's what happened to me recently following a GSXR1000. In second gear he was doing 60mph and I was on 4st gear. I got to agree that I changed too quickly to come up to the 4th gear. Thinking on it though, if he was doing 60mph on 2nd, at what speed did he left the 1st gear? Very quickly I guess but he definitely stayed on 2nd gear a lot longer than I. How does it compare to a MV Agusta 750cc? It can be hard to know since we are always on our own on a bike and all bikes are different. Of course we want the bike to have a long and reliable life!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Would it be normal to be at 10k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?

No way I'd be using those kind of rev ranges during normal street riding with my bike!. I've a Brutale 1078rr and if I took it to 10k revs in first gear it'd loop the loop!. I think if you rode your MV like that using those kind of revs in street riding you'd probably never get past 3rd gear. These are pretty powerful bikes and for me, going up through the gears in the street I'm usually revving from 3-6k and believe me by the time you've reached 6th gear you're 'shifting'! Also Cruising for me (in 6th) is around 6k (ish). More than enough for me on the street unless you REALLY want to get 'a wriggle on'. In short I just ride it like most other bikes including my CBR Fireblade but I show it the respect as it's very tractable. Cheers Brian
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Don't lug the engine and don't over rev the engine...ride where the vibrations and the torque feel good.

I usually cruise in the 5~6000 rpm range, but do so enjoy the occasional blast up to 14,000. In the middle gears in traffic 3000 rpm is nice and easy, but I wouldn't use that rpm in the higher gears.

Steady 10,000 in first or second gear is when the front wheel just leaps off the ground if you twist the grip a bit more....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Usually keep it between 3-6K, but do what feels normal. Think of a car with an automatic transmission, it shifts to the highest gear asap to preserve engine life and get better fuel mileage.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe07 View Post
Usually keep it between 3-6K, but do what feels normal. Think of a car with an automatic transmission, it shifts to the highest gear asap to preserve engine life and get better fuel mileage.
Good point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode