Solution For Twitchy Brutale Throttle!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Solution For Twitchy Brutale Throttle!!

Hi all,

I am a proud owner of a 2006 Brutale and I absolutely love my bike! One thing I don't love however is the twitchy sensitive throttle, I like may of you here, wish there was a solution. Well I think I've found one!

I was on Webbikeworld.com last night and read glowing reviews about a product called the "Booster Plug". It would appear that this small device cures twitchy throttle issues on fuel injected BMW's as well as the Triumph Tiger. The review on webbikeworld was very positive, as were the user reviews posted there. I suggest you go here to read all about it.

Now the good / bad news:

The Booster Plug is not made for the Brutale and when I read that, my heart sank but I vowed not to give up. I decided to write the inventor Jens Lyck to see if he would consider making one for the Brutale. I immediately heard back from Jens and he said he would but he'd need help.

Jens needs about 4 or 5 Brutale owners who would be interested in testing the prototype and to provide feedback. Anyone who participates will be able to keep all prototypes tested and will get a 20% discount off the final product which typically sells for $150 US.

In order to get started we must first identify the types of connectors the Brutale uses for the air intake sensors and or pressure sensors.If anyone knows definitively the make of these connectors and where they are sourced from we would be most grateful indeed!

I think this could really be a fun rewarding project for many of us on the forum and will allow us to learn even more about our Brute's! So if you are interested in this, shoot me a PM or reply here and we'll get this project / thread started!

In closing, I hope this posting doesn't violate any forum rules here, this is certainly not a solicitation for this product, rather a suggestion on how to solve a recurring Brutale issue I've seen posted on this forum numerous times.

Ok, who's in?! I know I am!

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 PM

I love my sensitive twitchy throttle thats what makes it an MV
But the twitchyness can be much improved with a throttle body syn & a TPS reset Both can be done at home for no cost & with basic tools.
Later models i believe are a bit different as software is needed.
But then i'd spring for a decent ECU & not a band aid job!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Please see my earlier thread - and...... don't judge! Gotta have some humor here...... ! I've begun trying to source that connector; so far, no go.... And I will say that the "twitchy throttle" DOES yield to the (admittedly steep!) learning curve - makes you pay attention, become..... yes!..... a better rider.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33954

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Outbackrider,

Thanks for your reply. When I last had the bike in for it's 6000km service I had my dealership mechanic look into the problem. He is considered one of the better MV mechanics in the NY metro area and covered your suggestions and more. His response was also that this is the personality of the bike and is unlikely to get much better, although he gets tons of complaints regarding the throttle twitchyness just the same.

If you read the reviews at webbikeworld.com you'll see that 500+ BMW owners don't consider the "Booster Plug" to be a "band aid" but rather a legitimate fix to a sensor issue that should have been remedied by BMW long ago and should have never left the factory in that state in the first place. I feel the same way in regards to MV.

I've had quite a few EFI bikes in my riding career and none had the level of twitchy throttle response the Brute does, so I'd like to rid myself of that particular annoyance just like many, many other members of this forum.

Thanks for your insight though.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVMac View Post
Please see my earlier thread - and...... don't judge! Gotta have some humor here...... ! I've begun trying to source that connector; so far, no go.... And I will say that the "twitchy throttle" DOES yield to the (admittedly steep!) learning curve - makes you pay attention, become..... yes!..... a better rider.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33954

Mike
Mike,

Wow, good to know I'm not alone in this!

Not so sure I buy into the argument that the twitchy throttle makes one a better rider though. If that were the case and if the argument that it's the "personality" of the bike were true, then there would be no need at all for the current multi-million dollar motorcycle aftermarket parts industry! Wanting a smoother throttle isn't blasphemous nor does it make you or I (or many other forum members) Honda wannabe's as some have implied here. I don't want a Honda I just want smooth throttle response...jeez.

Let me know if you're still into trying to figure this connector issue out, still think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

Best,

Rob

2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM

Don't always trust your mechanic,they don't always do things correctly they tend to take short cuts to save time & you money!!
there was a case on the forum lately where i "top notch" mech was told to service a bike & especially check rear hub bearing all was given the ok & the bearing failed less than a month after!!
If your dealer has done the throttle sync & TPS reset just ask him , how he went about it for your own satisfaction (there is several short cuts & a more time consuming way)it's to do with balancing the throttle butterflies first before you start fiddling with air bleed screws, the long way round see's the TB's stay in sync off idle, instead of cheating with the air bleeds , (once off idle they go out of balance again.)
Also ask him what resistance the TPS is set at with the throttle closed & at idle??
All makes a big difference to rideability.
Did he reset the back lash between your push/pull cables & throttle tube??
If you still fell it's twitchy or running lean ask the mech to give you some C02 readings if it's lean throw a open pipe eprom in the ecu will still be less than the "booster plug"
Like i said theres plenty of things to do to minimise the twitchyness with out throwing money at some untested (on MV's) "short cut" solution!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Hey Rob -
No, I'm definitely hugely still interested in this potential improvement - I currently own a '07 BMW F800s and know from firsthand experience that the BoosterPlug has transformed the bike. But..... the connector issue is central to Jens; he wants a total "plug and play" solution (can't fault him for that!). And the connector is difficult to source. Then, there's the cogent argument from others on the Forum that the real issue is ignition mapping in the critical off-idle area; BoosterPlug ain't gonna help with that...... And finally: all I'm saying is that in the interim, I've really come to realize that the throttle can be mastered....... even enjoyed for it's quirkiness!

Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVMac View Post
I've really come to realize that the throttle can be mastered....... even enjoyed for it's quirkiness!

Mike
+1 It's still no fun in traffic but then traffic is no fun anyway.

MV Ultra Take the ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode