06 910s brutale -elec gremlins - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Smile 06 910s brutale -elec gremlins

I apologize I have probable posted this in several different places on here but, I have recently bought a 910s that had a problem with the high beam sticking on after the key was removed. This has grown to include no charging from alt and a bat warn light. I have had the bike 2 weeks so far the head light has quit compleatly then returned whith h/L on all the time. If head light quits so do blinkers.after key is pulled high beam some times comes on, some times not. I have checked most of the wires and switches all apear good, no burnt spots or shorts. It does run but I'm running out of things to check with no good results.The problems for the most part are intermittent,except for the recent loss of charging that has stade constant. The closest dealer is 85 miles away,I bought it from a nonserviceing dealer loacaly. I hope some one has a posible resolution for these issues any help is aperciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that the fuel pump will also come on intermitinly after key is removed also. thanks.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Do a thread search on the Service Power Unit....aka SPU..aka CDI

Order a new one.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Order a new SPU from a dealer or forum sponsor like ed said above. It takes about 5 minutes to install and is around $400? ish

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Do a thread search on the Service Power Unit....aka SPU..aka CDI

Order a new one.
+1

nb - once you find the thread/s on this and thought oh shit....don't worry - everyone who has replaced their SPU has only had to do this once. (Forum sponsors e.g. Vesuvio have generally had a better pricing than dealers)

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

you may want to fully charge the battery. I once had strange electrical gremlins (light stays on w/o key, eg) simply from a nearly dead battery...good luck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks- I found some of those posts about the spu and talked to the dealer who is 85 miles away,he didn't know what an spu was but he was familer with cdi. I asked him how much and he explaind that the part was around 800u.s.d and that they would have to do a diagnostic on the bike first to see if I realy need that part or if it needs further repairs. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I don't have good luck with dealer repirs. My charging problem was a blown 40a fuse. After reading about the spu it sounds right on the mark. The dealer also told me that htere no enheairint electrical issues associated with these bikes! So I again ask for assistance my fellow brutale owners who has a reasonable rep+price for an spu a.k.a cdi? Thank you again.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
Thanks- I found some of those posts about the spu and talked to the dealer who is 85 miles away,he didn't know what an spu was but he was familer with cdi. I asked him how much and he explaind that the part was around 800u.s.d and that they would have to do a diagnostic on the bike first to see if I realy need that part or if it needs further repairs. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I don't have good luck with dealer repirs. My charging problem was a blown 40a fuse. After reading about the spu it sounds right on the mark. The dealer also told me that htere no enheairint electrical issues associated with these bikes! So I again ask for assistance my fellow brutale owners who has a reasonable rep+price for an spu a.k.a cdi? Thank you again.
Again I forgot to mention I'm in the state of M.I in the U.S.A
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM

New Site Garage
Ok Broken,
The SPU is the source of the old electrical issues - once replaced you're bike will be a different mistress

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...&highlight=SPU

There is a cover (fuse cover if you will) on the righthand side of the bike - on the back of this is the part number - eg. A800NNNN.

Order from Vesuvio (forum sponsor) cost is roughly 300Euros.

Installation - I personally had my mechanic do it but a number of guys here have done this themselves. Refer to www.my.agusta.us - this will show you how to remove/lift the tank to get the unit out.

The dealer sounds useless - look for a good mechanic who's work on sports bikes - take it to them if you're not sure about the install yourself.

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yeah....easy DIY if you have any mechanic skills....that dealer is nuts if he says no inherent electrical problems with early 910 Brutale. SPU is infamous for random relay related wierdness.

And he is asking twice what it should cost. Use the MVAgustaUSA.com web site dealer locator and call a few others for pricing. There are some good dealers out there. We have a brand new one here in Georgia who might be worth a call (as they have not developed any bad habits....yet...)

Parts should be in stock at MVUSA if you don't want to order from Europe.

If you don't mind the Euro pricing and shipping, then Vesuvio is a good choice (and a forum sponsor) .

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode