Reports from my first three days of ownership: - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Reports from my first three days of ownership:

So i picked up my 2004 Brutale 750 on Friday. I was literally saying to myself as I left the dealer, "I can't believe I own this thing". I rode the very long way home and got back at about 9pm, just in time for a friend to come by and for us to go out to dinner and celebrate. After dinner we decided to go for a ride "around the block". Sometimes night time is the best time to ride in the City, and a lap around 94 down to the south side and up lake shore drive is a lot of fun when traffic is light. At about 12:00 am I was back home still ecstatic and we were both just staring at the bike and admiring it.

Saturday had rain in the forecast, and for the early part of the day it held true, but the afternoon turned beautiful, and I did manage to get on the bike afain. Sometimes it is frustrating to ride here in the Chicago area, and even though I enjoyed the ride I never really felt like I was satisfied with what I was able to get out of it. Slow moving traffic and not very many good roads are too much a part of the story of motorcycling here sometimes.

I knew Sunday was going to be the first day I really got to get on it and ride it in the best way, so I got out on the road fairly early and headed up into Wisconsin. I met some friends at a bar that had a breakfast buffet, and after scarfing down some eggs and a biscuit we were off to hit the twisties.

I was a bit frustrated by the group ride, because I was with a few friends who are great riders on great bikes, but also a Harley and a cb 350 riding two up (what?) among others. I was trying to be friendly and not overly aggressive about getting in the front of the group, but it was hard not to just blast by everyone. As luck would have it, someone on a cb750 had his chain come off the sprocket after about 45 minutes of riding. I pulled off alongside to make sure everything was ok, and there were two other guys along with the owner of the bike sorting it out. I said, "well, I think I'll go catch up with those other guys" since I was not going to sit and watch three guys put a chain back on while my new bike was begging to be ridden.

Turns out the group up in front must have made a turn that I didn't, so I was on my own. That was exactly what I needed because I really wanted to get a taste of what my new bike had to offer. I spent the next couple of hours ripping up and down the Rustic Routes and alphabet roads, having as much fun as I've had since I was a little kid popping wheelies on my first Suzuki RM 60. I was afraid the police would hear my exhaust echoing through the hills and come looking for me, but I made it through the day without getting pulled over. I can already tell that is going to be a bit of a challenge on this machine, partly due to the styling, partly to the look, and partly to the notes that ring from the exhaust above 5,00 rpm. Pulling it through the revs it is amazing how it just keeps going all the way to the moon, well past the point where any other bike would want to be shifted into the next gear. The suspension is unforgiving, just as I've been told, but the throttle actually seemed as smooth or smoother than any other EFI bike I've ridden on. I haven't made any adjustment to the suspension yet, but I will probably give that a try soon. I will also need to get the water pump situation figured out (again, something I was warned about) because I did have the bike puke out some radiator fluid at one of my stops, and drip some steamy water after another.

Overall the bike is just a real joy to ride. When I bought it on Friday it had 2,300 miles give or take, and I've already put 500 on it since then. Pretty crazy that someone owned it for that long and I've put 1/5 of the total miles on in just one weekend. Next weekend is a huge weekend of riding for me, as I am heading up into Western Wisconsin to hit the Twisties with a bunch of friends on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A lot of my friends still don't know I got the bike, so I am just going to pull up on it and I am sure they will be amazed to see my new toy. I will have to make sure I stay within myself since I am still new to the bike, but it is going to be a fun time nonetheless.

Can't wait to get to know the bike even better.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Nice write up.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you are having a lot of fun. Enjoy the rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Established Member

Good to hear you impressed with the bike Rob, Any pictures??

Im excited its about 2 weeks before mine comes back to live at my place!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:33 AM

Another happy story

Welcome to MV land!

**Admin edited: I have you on ignore **
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Established Member

Happiness is good...
Congrats!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM

Congrats on the bike. I had a 2004 750 as well a couple years back. Riding a 910s now. You'll enjoy the 750.

Please post some pics when you have a chance!

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM

New Site Garage
This reminds me how I felt when I got mine over 2 years ago. I still have it, I still stare at it in my garage like the first day I brought it home, I rode it for a 100 miles of twisties yesterday and remember thinking in my helmet (again) how much fun this thing is and slightly amazed by the fact that none of the magic has faded.
Welcome under the spell
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM

Nice to read

It was great to read a thread with such unbridled enthusiasm.
Hope the smiles last for miles.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM

New Site Garage
Outstanding Rob, a great write-up and glad to hear you're enjoying what they are designed to do....make you grin from ear-to-ear !

cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode