Anyone heard of the BoosterPlug? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Anyone heard of the BoosterPlug?

Hello all... was wondering if any out there have had any experience with the BoosterPlug, the creation of a Danish gent named Jens Lyck. One of my other bikes is a '07 BMW F800s; I learned of the B'Plug on the F800 Riders Forum. I was initially skeptical - some of the old "miracle carburetor" claims came to mind - but visiting the product website (www.boosterplug.com) convinced this old electronics techie to try one. The site makes good reading for anyone interested in the EFI systems on modern bikes. I was delighted with the improvement in the tractability of the F800s: the off-idle transition clutching off in first gear was totally smoothed out; actually possible to achieve no-throttle starts if speed is not required. The Plug is really kinda misnamed, in that there is no horsepower gain (or claim of one), only reduction of the snatchy throttle syndrome and resultant improvement in rideability.

Which brings me to the reason for posting this on the MV Forum: since acquiring my '08 910R, I've been totally blown away by the bike in every way save one - the abrupt, snatchy, notchy throttle off idle. Even with my dealer tech massaging the TPS (which did improve things!), I still had a steep learning curve on my first ride home from the city in hilly stop-and-go traffic with lots of lane splitting. I'm better at it now...... but...... IF it could be improved like my F800s was, well hey! So I contacted Jens re a B'Plug for the F4 closed-loop EFI; thus far he has only developed a product for BMW and Triumph, but is interested in other makes if there were enough interest on the owners' part. He would need data on the air intake temperature sensor (resistance/temp curve), and most particularly on the connector used on the sensor since the B'Plug inserts in series with the original AIT sensor. I am most willing to do the legwork here, especially if I could get my hands on a sensor module. If a prototype were successful, Jens would need 4 or 5 beta testers to prove it out.

Sorry for such a long post...... and please, I am in no way connected to BoosterPlug except as a satisfied customer and beginner student of EFI technology.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM
lee

B'Plug? Randy has tons of those and uses them on a regular basis. Gotta' keep the back door well stretched for Dude. Yes folks I'm sorry to break the news but he's hard into beastiality now as it's so loose and flabby no one will service him.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
B'Plug? Randy has tons of those and uses them on a regular basis. Gotta' keep the back door well stretched for Dude. Yes folks I'm sorry to break the news but he's hard into beastiality now as it's so loose and flabby no one will service him.
The medical term for the condition you describe is "anal yawn."

I'm not making that up. A nurse a buddy of mine dated told us that.

Killed in a Lifestar helicopter crash, poor girl. She was a real looker too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 PM

"Anal Yawn"

Carl, you're a wealth of information!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
lee

Ho hum, time for bed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey, great posts guys...... but I'm actually serious here. I'm innocently ignorant of whatever you're referring to (and I thought I'd heard it all....!), but really trying to find out if anyone has any experience with "fooling" the EFI control by making the AIT sensor think it's colder than it is and hence enriching the mixture.
I really think this could help make the Brutale even better - and it's pretty damn good!

Mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 AM

Mike,
I'm curious to hear the outcome of your experiment. Most of the owners will agree it's the throttle response that top of the list of improvements. Another one could be fuel economy so I wonder what impact enriching the mixture will have . Do you have any idea on the cost for the beta testers?
Arjan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Arjan -
I have heard of some BMW F800s riders reporting slightly poorer mileage, as one might expect from anything that enriches the mixture at any point in the fuel map. I myself have not noticed this, but I admit to being somewhat cavalier about my MPG. The BoosterPlug production models sell for USD 150 including shipping (see the website for application); I have not gotten far enough with Jens on the MV prototype to answer your question about terms for beta testers. I'm going to try to get hold of a sensor (without removing the one in my 910R if I can help it!) so I can run a resistance/temperature curve with more data points than the one in the shop manual; I'll also try to source the connector used on the sensor (this may not be easy.........). It's important to Jens to use OEM connectors in order to provide a robust plug-and-play installation rather than a hack into the wiring harness.

Mike
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post

Are you sure about that Lee!!

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
My kind of cop......Every time I get stopped, I find the best way to handle a traffic stop is to take.
Life has always been about givers and takers!!
Attached Images

Last edited by adecritten; 09-07-2010 at 02:51 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM

Here's a trustworthy review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/booster-plug/

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode