MV Corse full titanium system..advice? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

MV Corse full titanium system..advice?

Hi All, I will be installing my exhaust system tomorrow and just wanted to check and see if any of you have done this install with the new ECU and if you had any advice or gotchas.

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 PM

yeh ...
1.Remove old system
2.replace with Ti...
3 stand back & droool!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackbiker View Post
yeh ...
1.Remove old system
2.replace with Ti...
3 stand back & droool!
Don't forget the ear plugs when you take the Baffle out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Before you start it for the first time with the new system on, give it a wipe down with thinners or solvent to remove all the hand prints. You don't want greasy hand prints burning into it and marking that finish.

Dave.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Established Member

Do it yourself

H Mark: Its a bit more involved than the Aussie would imply, if you are installing this system on a 1090RR.

The ECU is buried so deeply that you will spend a bit over an hour digging it out of the innards.

After you replace the ECU, you must reset the ECU to recognize the TPS position as explained in the electronic data file supplied with the exhaust. Resetting the ECU requires a copy of TechnoRsearch's VDST software and cable. The Standard version software will suffice.

The actual mechanics of installing the plumbing are straight forward. Hopefully you have 4 new exhaust flange gaskets.

The major hurdle I encountered was in removing the ECU and its 5 electrical connectors attached. Two of them are the standard 36 pin connectors which easily pop right off. The remaining three AMP multi-pin connectors are clipped to the ECU and the devilish bastard who figured out the overly complicated programing on resetting the trip meters really excelled here.

It appears to this writer, the Devil and all of the hounds of Hell, gathered in Varese along with the trip meter designer and conspired to burn up your day. I think you will find they were very successful.

Attached are several photos that may make more sense after you get the tank off and try to find the ECU. Each of the smaller AMP multi-pin connectors must be removed from their mounting brackets to allow you access to the 4 each M6 cap screws hold the ECU to its bracket.

Photo 1. "old ECU" with 3 offending multi-pin brackets in place. NOTE the holes in the 2 brackets on the left and the 1 bracket on the right. The multi-pin connectors have detents on the underside that clip in these holes.

Photo 2 & 3. Pins on the back of multi-pin connectors that secure the connectors to the brackets. Until you remove the connectors, you can not remove the "old ECU".

Photos 4 & 5. ECU mounting system on the frame tube below the throttle bodies. Only 1 hex head cap screw holds the ECU in place. The other 2 rubber grommets snap over button head studs visible in photo 5.

Before you start, gather up your software, notebook computer, a really stout spring hook and tell the office you are taking the day off. Oh, and notice, the new single all-plastic fuel line connector. You'll need to borrow the neighbor's 8 year old kid to get their tiny fingers into the space and release the fuel line. Other than that, the guy from OZ is right on.

The fit and finish of the pipes is outstanding and once installed and the TPS reset, you will enjoy the sound and appearance. With the dB Killer installed it is not obtrusive.

Best wishes,
Dick
Attached Images

Last edited by racasey; 09-06-2010 at 01:57 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Uh Oh

I received nothing in either box that looks like instructions. The Exhaust came in 2 boxes, all wrapped up in plastic. The ECU came in a smaller white box, no wrapping, no instructions, just rattling around inside. What am I missing? I was told by the dealer about the complexity of removing and inserting the ECU but nothing about having to reset the ECU to the TPS. He said that the included ECU was all set up for the new Exhaust and that it was plug and play. I am NOT equipped to do that and that dealer is 500 miles away.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
The guy from oz is pretty close actually. I would recommend installing the pipe without the EPROM first. I just did a very similar thing with my 910s, and could of got away with not replacing the EPROM. Without the EPROM, the job took me about 1.5 hrs tops....and the EPROM (which is easier on a 910 by e looks of hinge) took me about 45 minutes. I did not have instructions, and my mechanical knowledge and experience is about as in depth as the out back bikers fitting instructions.

If you are nervous, just fit the pipe and see how it runs without the EPROM and tps changes...

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Established Member

ECU's and other irksome bits

If the exhaust system you bought is part MV Agusta #Code nr : RDMT012078, and looks like the exhaust in the MV brochure and the photo, then it came with a special ECU tuned to produce the optimum running characteristics, and protect the engine.

Any substantive modification to an engine's exhaust system, as this race kit surely is, will produce different a change in engine breathing. In some cases richer, in some cases leaner air/fuel mixtures. Either case will impact the rider and the engine in a negative manner. MV Agusta knows the system requires an adjustment to the mixture and packaged the race ECU for this very reason.

Installation of a new ECU demands the TPS be reset as detailed in the instructions. The new electronics must know what small, but critical adjustments were made to this specific engine's throttle potentiometer. Without proper safeguards, those provided by matching the intended ECU to the exhaust pipe, now less catalytic converter, severe engine damage can occur.

Before you decide to jeopardize your machine, and leave the old ECU in place, you may wish to ask MV Agusta if they will warrant the the engine.

Best wishes,
Dick

PS: you may want to read the first sentence in this thread. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32237
Attached Images

Last edited by racasey; 09-06-2010 at 09:39 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Missing Instructions

I have the same pipe pictured in your reply and it did come with the new ECU. My questions addressed two problems. One, The dealer told me it would be plug and play after installing the new ECU and Two, there were no instructions packed with either the pipe or the ECU. Does anyone have a copy of these instructions that they could make available?

Thanks
Mark
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Established Member

You will have to do a tps reset. I have the same system and it ran brutale(y) until I had the reset done. Way too rich. After that it has been great. 3,000 kms and no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode