I'm in love! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm in love!

Greetings guys and gals,

Newb here. Been lurking for a bit, but decided to register today after seeing a 1090RR in the flesh. I was, up until today, hell bent on a new Tuono Factory, but after seeing the Brutale I think I'm going to have to throw practicality out the window. By that I mean that the Tuono feels a tad more comfy, is quite a bit cheaper, and can be serviced close to my house (got to ride 50 miles to the MV Agusta dealer). Trouble is, the Brutale is simply gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. Plus I have a thing for inline 4s (on an R6 currently).

I'll be test riding both the Tuono and Brutale shortly - side-by-side at the same dealer, will make the decision then. But in the mean time I'll be gunning for the Brutale.

I sat on both a 990 and 1090 at the dealer. Steering felt light, seat was reasonably comfy, but the pegs where horrible - my feet were contorted into an unnatural position. The dealer advised that the pegs can be adjusted - "so shouldn't be a problem". So I have just 2 questions:

1. How/how much can the pegs be adjusted on the 1090?
2. Can they be adjusted to make the bike reasonably comfortable for someone 6'2" with a 33 inseam? I'm certainly no giant, but the Tuono (and Speed Triple for that matter) felt like it had more room.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Established Member

Hi welcome.

As someone who recently sold my Tuono to upgrade to the 1090RR here's my 2 cents.

The Tuono feels like a bigger bike. I'm only 5'8" so in truth the brutale fits me better than the Tuono. I change bikes like I change my underpants and to date the Tuono is the bike I kept the longest, although I have a feeling the Brutale is going to be with me for even longer. Out of the crate the Tuono is pretty near perfect. If you like twins IMO it is the best. The engine is stonking with an amazing amount of torque, it'll basicly pull your arms out in every gear and keeping the front down is a challenge. The only change I made was to fit a pair of Ackropovic exhausts, more because I liked the sound. The fueling in stock set up is brilliant anyway so you dont feel any difference with the ackros on. Great bike for touring and because they've been around for years there are loads of bolt on aftermarket bits about. Screens, carbon bits etc. Had the bike for two years and sold it onto a mate whos had it a year. Took it touring round France and Spain and its never missed a beat. Mine was the standard one but a mates got the factory. He recons the standard one is a better bike for the road, suspension is a bit soft out of the crate but I stiffened mine up a bit and got it pretty much perfect.

Ok the Brutale.
IMO a better bike, suspension and fueling on the 1090rr is awesome. I know we always talk up whatever our current bike is but it really is a beast. If you like inline 4s its one of the best. Comfort wise you will need to fit a screen, a stubby exhaust and a set of rear sets if you want to achieve the same riding position of the Tuone but once done you end up with a bike that just makes you smile. Ultimatly it has that desirability factor that you can't quite quantify but we all know is a major part of the biking experience. The reason for the screen and rearsets are probably self explanatory, the stubby exhaust less so. I didnt have it put on to create estra power of enhance the exhaust note, it was because the stock set up pushed my right foot out at a strange angle, fine for short blasts but on a long it got quite painful. This problem is sorted with the stubby exhaust. (take a look at my gallery and you'll see what I mean.) The only issue thats being reported on the 1090 is the mirror problem. They are crap and mine used to buzz a lot, easily sorted if you just wedge some foam under the mirror glass or replace them and fit the indicators on the headlight bracket.

I've put 4000+ miles on mine so far and not so much as a hiccup so reliability shouldn't be an issue.

In short both great bikes. Ones a new desirable model, the other probably going to be replaced pretty soon with a V4 version. (Aprillia have lost the contract to use the twin rotax engine on future models) Head says Tuono, less expensive, cheaper parts, well tried and tested. Heart will say Brutale, exotic, new and an absolute scream.

Good luck, tough choice.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Established Member

I test rode the big T a while back and loved it, only problem I found with it was that it was very very lumpy when burbling through town and I just didn't get that fealing that says buy it.

The 1090RR on the other hand did give me the just buy it tingling sensation in the furries, just waiting to pick mine up later this month.

I will however test the new V4 big T when it is realesed as I recon that will be a stonker of a bike.

Test ride both bikes and just go with what you enjoyed riding more

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM

I am 6'2'' ith 34" inseam with size 13's and I was able to put paeg all the way back and shift lever tip rotated all the way down and it is a pretty good rid position. At our size all these bikes are a little cramped but I have been out on a couple of 2+ hour rides and it has been fine.

Just picked up the 1090RR. Traded in my 2010 Z1000 and the roll on of the Brutale is second to none! Front end is so planted as well.

oh, it is truly art as well. I keep peeking in th egarage to look at it :-)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, chaps. Very helpful responses, indeed.

Re: the stubby exhaust - had hoped I wouldn't have to go that route. The standard Brutale exhausts are a work of art, IMO, so am hoping comfort is achievable w/o replacing the MV cans.

I suspect the head will say "Tuono" once I'm done with the test ride, but that my heart will say "Brutale".

Thanks again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 PM

New Site Garage
IMO - If it aint broke....don't fix it !

I love the sound of the stock bike and it's got plenty stonk without the mods....yeah, I know there are quite a few members who like to tweak their rides and I do not criticise them for doing so - each to their own. There are some practical mods that may need to be done (bar-end mirrors, rear-sets for the longer of leg, screen if you really need one etc) but if you wanted something that looked like a Tuono...buy it instead !!

Good luck with your decision

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
IMO - If it aint broke....don't fix it !

I love the sound of the stock bike and it's got plenty stonk without the mods....yeah, I know there are quite a few members who like to tweak their rides and I do not criticise them for doing so - each to their own. There are some practical mods that may need to be done (bar-end mirrors, rear-sets for the longer of leg, screen if you really need one etc) but if you wanted something that looked like a Tuono...buy it instead !!

Good luck with your decision

Cheers
All true - for me, much can be achieved through keeping the stock cans, and just going with a new mid-pipe and EPROM. Get some first class rear-sets possibly (rizoma, Sato - although I have not bothered). You will get a slightly sweeter and angrier exhaust note, improved performance, but the bike still looks like it was intended to look - bewdiful!

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Established Member

I am just over 6'2" and also having recently sold my T which I loved, I can only say that they are two completely different bikes (mine is a 1078 not 1090 though).

FWIW, IMO you really need to ride the MV, and need to take it for a good long run. At first ride I thought - hmmm, maybe not, but after a good run thru the twisites and my local run, I was in love. It is a big step up from the T in nearly every way - and that's saying a lot. I can't get enough of this bike, it thrills me evertime a jump on it.

As for RH peg - dump the stock cans and get the stubie and that fixes the foot postion problem. No need even for rearsets IMO.

Enjoy!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 PM

OK, I just got back from Street Vibration in Reno Nevada and it is a 3 day harley fest (mini strugis). It is however in Reno which in right next to Tahoe and there are a lot of twisties to ride and epic views along the way.

I have been a rider for over 30 years and I race motocross to this day. I live to ride dirt and street. I can honestly say that my 1090 is absolutely amazing. It is like rider and bike are one and you are glued to the road. Suspension and handling are just amazing. high speed corning is super stable and if you want to go tighter you only have to think it and t is so.

The sound (growel) of the stock exhaust is so good I am afraid to put the corse (arrow) shorty on for fear of losing the decel growel.

And there is not a better looking motorcycle on the planet! The quality on every component is just amazing.

I almost feel like blushing :-) I just put 700 miles riding all over the mountains around lake tahoe in 90 degree hat, with a sey blond I met on the trip, and all I can talk about is how freaking unbelievable the brutale rides and feels.

I am never geting rid of this bike! Think I'll go peek in the garage real quick :-)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 PM

New Site Garage
Outstanding mate - welcome to the famly !!

...yep + 1 on the stock exhausts, I'm a fan of them as well.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode