1078 LOVING it! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

1078 LOVING it!

Just thought I'd post up some stuff about the 1078 I got last week. I know these are not new bikes now, and probably everything that's been said about them has already been said, but have to add my 5c worth sorry

Only a week's riding (just under 1000k's) and already I just friggin' love it!

What I wanted was a better bike than the Tuono. I didn't think I'd find it. But the Brutale just continues to make me laugh out loud! It's everything the Tuono was, but completely different. It's everything I wanted the Tuono to be, but couldn't have - it's lighter, more flickable, and better brakes (saying a lot) - although the suspension probably not quite up to the Ohlins on the Tuono, but think it'll come into it’s own on the track.

Just made a few ergo changes that were annoying me:
~ pegs (too bloody short for my big foot, but fixed it by reversing the heel guards to the inside of the rearset and packing out the rearset a tad from the frame so it doesn't hit the exhaust and swing arm. Ground off the big knob at the end of the peg and cross hatched it. Result - more room for my big boot, and foot doesn't slip off now!

~ brake, clutch control position - easy fix, just removed the locator pins from the bars, now have full rotation of levers so can get position for me.

Only other gripe is the sticking throttle issue at de-acceleration when downshifting. I've checked out a few threads here and lots of stuff about it. There's always one or two issues with bikes. None are without something. I've been riding apes for years now (2003 SL1000, 2004 RSV, 2006RSV, 2007Tuono), and I also ride an '03 R1 (although now mainly for track work), and an '08 FZ1. While I've got to say the Tuono was the best bike I've ever owned, up until the 1078, the fact was that you really had to add an open exhaust and remap to get the throttle response right – same for both the RSV’s (same engines). Otherwise the surging and snappy throttle response was a complete PITA! But then if you've ever ridden a late model FZ1, you will know all about crap throttle response and stupidly snatchy throttles!!! (anyone that thinks the Japs have it all sorted have not ridden one of the most popular Jap nakeds! absolute shockers!). So the only issue with the 1078 is the 'sticking throttle' and as this really only seems to be a problem when stuffing around town, it's not a biggie IMO. Be intersting to see what new exhaust and chip will do to this.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to two things - am I having more fun? - yes. Would I change my mind now and buy something else/wait for the TV4? – no! Only regret is I should’ve bought the 1078 sooner instead of waiting in vain for the V4T.

Last edited by brutale4me; 08-21-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Nice work, and great to hear these summaries from someone who has ridden a few different bikes...

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutale4me View Post
Just thought I'd post up some stuff about the 1078 I got last week. I know these are not new bikes now, and probably everything that's been said about them has already been said, but have to add my 5c worth sorry

Only a week's riding (just under 1000k's) and already I just friggin' love it!

What I wanted was a better bike than the Tuono. I didn't think I'd find it. But the Brutale just continues to make me laugh out loud! It's everything the Tuono was, but completely different. It's everything I wanted the Tuono to be, but couldn't have - it's lighter, more flickable, and better brakes (saying a lot) - although the suspension probably not quite up to the Ohlins on the Tuono, but think it'll come into it’s own on the track.

Just made a few ergo changes that were annoying me:
  • pegs (too bloody short for my big foot, but fixed it by reversing the heel guards to the inside of the rearset and packing out the rearset a tad from the frame so it doesn't hit the exhaust and swing arm. Ground off the big knob at the end of the peg and cross hatched it. Result - more room for my big boot, and foot doesn't slip off now!
  • brake, clutch control position - easy fix, just removed the locator pins from the bars, now have full rotation of levers so can get position for me.
Only other gripe is the sticking throttle issue at de-acceleration when downshifting. I've checked out a few threads here and lots of stuff about it. There's always one or two issues with bikes. None are without something. I've been riding apes for years now (2003 SL1000, 2004 RSV, 2006RSV, 2007Tuono), and I also ride an '03 R1 (although now mainly for track work), and an '08 FZ1. While I've got to say the Tuono was the best bike I've ever owned, up until the 1078, the fact was that you really had to add an open exhaust and remap to get the throttle response right – same for both the RSV’s (same engines). Otherwise the surging and snappy throttle response was a complete PITA! But then if you've ever ridden a late model FZ1, you will know all about crap throttle response and stupidly snatchy throttles!!! (anyone that thinks the Japs have it all sorted have not ridden one of the most popular Jap nakeds! absolute shockers!). So the only issue with the 1078 is the 'sticking throttle' and as this really only seems to be a problem when stuffing around town, it's not a biggie IMO. Be intersting to see what new exhaust and chip will do to this.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to two things - am I having more fun? - yes. Would I change my mind now and buy something else/wait for the TV4? – no! Only regret is I should’ve bought the 1078 sooner instead of waiting in vain for the V4T.
had the sticking throttle as well.. I hope it is as easy for you to fix as it was myself... just loosen the bar end slightly. I think when the humidity goes up it tends to make it swell. Worked for me.

I was torn between buying the Tuono or a SF.. soooo happy with the MV. Well worth the money I paid!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyknuckle View Post
had the sticking throttle as well.. I hope it is as easy for you to fix as it was myself... just loosen the bar end slightly. I think when the humidity goes up it tends to make it swell. Worked for me
Unfortunatley no, this is definitely a fueling issue. The throttle control is clear and loose, and the butterflies snap close. It's pretty consistent and does it more often if I blip the throttle changing down. If I just coast to a stop and pull in the clutch it's usually ok - but not always! Go figure - anyway it really doesn't bother me.

What does though is that although moving the rearsets out and repositioning the heel guards has made a huge difference (especially to the left foot), my right foot still has to be postioned at a stupid angle to ride on the balls of my foot - which is where I ride 80% of the time. As you guys probably know it's all because of the position of the bottom can! What a bloody stupid design. Honestly, you only have to ride it once to realise it's a problem, and yet it's been there for how many years? The 910 I used to ride had Arrow on it so never noticed it. Anyway, looks like I have to get that ugly Arrow shorty can fitted up, because I can't ride fast comfortably with that setup for too long. Good excuse to get some extra ponies though

Pic of the moved heel guard setup with spacer on the rearset (very easy to do and made big difference on the left foot), and filed down peg so my foot doesn't slip off anymore:

I guess I could fabricate a new lower dogbone link to make it shorter - which would drop the peg a little lower but further forward, but might be too forward, too low then, and heel would probably still hit the can.

Last edited by brutale4me; 08-22-2010 at 02:57 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 AM

yep fantastic bike makes me grin, haven't had any throttle issues, except wisting it is addictive
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodog View Post
yep fantastic bike makes me grin, haven't had any throttle issues, except wisting it is addictive
yep, that induction roar is pure filth!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 AM

Suggest good rear sets. I got MR rearsets on mine and they are great, but still the silly foot angle is still there. Look into getting a microtec ecu for perfect throttle response. Mods that I have done on mine to date to make it perfect for me:
Rearsets
Changed bar angle
Rizoma mirrors
Scotts steering damper
Microtec ecu
Rear hugger
Carbon wheels

Only thing I want to do next is a full titanium exhaust.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 AM

Great work mate, as if you wouldn't love it , ha ha ha. Thats the brute i want too to go with the f41078. Where on the east coast are you
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davman View Post
Suggest good rear sets. I got MR rearsets on mine and they are great, but still the silly foot angle is still there. Look into getting a microtec ecu for perfect throttle response.
thanks davman, I might still look at rearsets, although I'm pretty happy with foot position, it's just the bloody right one! I'll probably go for the full Arrow with shorty. Can you tell me more about the microtec? Where did you get it? Did you install yourself? Does the bike require any tuning mods after instalation? Will it work with the full Arrow system? Does it work with stock exhaust system? Lots of questions sorry, but really interested in reverse engineering to get the bike back to the level of tune that it was actually designed to reach.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf4 View Post
Great work mate, as if you wouldn't love it , ha ha ha. Thats the brute i want too to go with the f41078. Where on the east coast are you
up on the Sunshine Coast Chris. The brute would be a very nice to add with your f4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode