2004 Brutale S, Your Opinions Please - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

2004 Brutale S, Your Opinions Please

By way of introduction I have only owned Ducatis(all monsters) and they were for the most part problem free although the valve checks costs stung a bit!
I am now considering buying a '04 Brutale which I think is a more beautiful bike.
The trouble is I know very little about the quirks of this particular model and what issues, if any it might be known for.
My search on this forum and others have turned up some problems
with it stalling out, fuel consumption and overheating but I don't know if they are related more to the 900cc versions(the one I want is a 750cc)
Is routine service as expensive as a Ducati?
How is parts availability?
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Lippe View Post
By way of introduction I have only owned Ducatis(all monsters) and they were for the most part problem free although the valve checks costs stung a bit!
I am now considering buying a '04 Brutale which I think is a more beautiful bike.
The trouble is I know very little about the quirks of this particular model and what issues, if any it might be known for.
My search on this forum and others have turned up some problems
with it stalling out not when tuned properly, fuel consumption thirsty bikes, 750 more so then 910 and overheating Not Brutales...that's F4s but I don't know if they are related more to the 900cc versions(the one I want is a 750cc)
Is routine service as expensive as a Ducati? No, more like a Jap bike
How is parts availability? Good since H-D cleaned things up.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
Buy it...you'll like it !!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

So are you saying it isn't properly tuned as it comes from the factory?
And Harley just sold the company so what happens to their part/distribution network now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
You are posting on their parts distribution network. Despite Harley's brief ownership, they never distributed MV Agusta parts.

The 750 Brutale is not known to suffer from stalling issues or overheating. I have heard that fuel consumption was greater than on the later bikes with larger engines. I never compared my 750 Brutale (my first MV by the way) with the 910R.

An enigma.

But fuel mileage should not even be consideration if you are buying a Brutale.

Do a search for "My Brutale sucks, I'm selling it."

You won't find anything. They are great bikes.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

That reassuring to hear CAG. Does the Termi can significantly improve the sound and performance?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
No. And they are ugly.

Truthfully, it is personal opinion. Plenty of guys love the Termignoni cans. Removing the catalytic converter will make the biggest difference in sound and perhaps performance. I like the Arrow thunder, other guys prefer the standard exhaust. The best system would be the complete titanium system from MV Corse, (Randarosa has it on his bike) or the off road exhaust that came with the 910R. They will bolt right up to the 750.

The first mod most Brutale owners make is replacing the catalytic converter with a midpipe. Do that first if it hasn't been done.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:19 AM

The brutale is mostly a trouble free bike. I have a 750 with more than 21000kms on it and it's very reliable. Have a Arrow thunder exhaust and its nuts. As Ed said the stalling issues are generally tuning issues. Yes the fuel consupmtion is high. If you are still considering the purchase, then you should check out the 910R, there are quite a few good deals available with very low milage and it has a lot more in it than the 750. . Any brutale you buy I am sure you will enjoy it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 AM

For what its worth, I just bought an 08 910r and paid 8500 (USD). I looked into a couple other bikes and they were priced around 9000 (both were from 2006). After some reading and Q & A's with the Forum members (extremely helpful)...I learned the 08 (2007 US model) had alot of the former problems corrected (stalling & overheating). Either way, they are right...you will love the bike. A buddy of mine just bought himself a Ducati S4r and its a great looking bike....i bought mine 2 weeks later and he already regrets not buying an MV
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

What's a typical valve check/belt change cost for the Brutale?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
No belts....valve inspect and adjust will be similar to any current Jap sport bike.
I do my own work, so I am not sure what the dealers charge.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode