In the quest for more horsepower..... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Talking In the quest for more horsepower.....

I am curious as to what features make the 1000cc mill put out 30 more hp, aside from the obvious things like added displacement and revised intakes/different exhaust, where is all that power coming from? (is the f4's exhaust really that much more efficient?).

I have a tuner in upstate ny that pulled another 20hp out of thin air with my harley, just by dialing it in right, what sort of gains are being found with the 910r engine?

Why is the redline only at 12K? The engine seems to have the same if not very similar componets as a f4, but we loose 700rpm, is it the cam profiles or is the bike just tuned on the soft side?

I also noticed that my electic fans dont kick on untill 190 degrees, which is certainly a cause for it to run so damn hot. Has anyone patched into the ECU to tell the fans to come on sooner? If so, what kind of a difference did it make?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:06 AM

If you told the fans to come on sooner, they'd be on all the time.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia
If you told the fans to come on sooner, they'd be on all the time.
How do you figure? MY electric fans dont seem to start untill 190 degrees, which is very late. This is one of the first modifications people do on computer controlled cars, the manufactures usually have the fans turn on at 180 so the cars pollute less. BUt if you set them to start up at 160, the vehicle will still reach operating temp but run cooler overall. Heat is the byproduct and enemy of horsepower, start the fans at a lower temp than 190, say 170, and there should be a noticable difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
I am curious as to what features make the 1000cc mill put out 30 more hp, aside from the obvious things like added displacement and revised intakes/different exhaust, where is all that power coming from? (is the f4's exhaust really that much more efficient?).

I have a tuner in upstate ny that pulled another 20hp out of thin air with my harley, just by dialing it in right, what sort of gains are being found with the 910r engine?

Why is the redline only at 12K? The engine seems to have the same if not very similar componets as a f4, but we loose 700rpm, is it the cam profiles or is the bike just tuned on the soft side?

I also noticed that my electic fans dont kick on untill 190 degrees, which is certainly a cause for it to run so damn hot. Has anyone patched into the ECU to tell the fans to come on sooner? If so, what kind of a difference did it make?

Thanks in advance
A couple of years back every one wanted the 1000 engine in the Brutale, Castiglioni said they had one and it was "too much" hence the 910, MV have had dozens of different cc engines, the 910 has been designed for low to midrange torque, I suspect there are little bits of all sorts in there to stop it making big hp numbers, probably cams and cam timing for a start, maybe also the ecu is holding it back as well with the ignition timing. On the max rpm one of the differences between a 2000 and evo 2/3 F4 was the gearing to the alternator, on later F4 bikes they slowed the alternator so they could increase the engine rpm, maybe the Brutale is the same?

Last edited by mikef4uk; 09-13-2006 at 12:55 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Some Guy, you've been riding Hardleys too long man. The 910 R has enough HP, any more and it would be worse off, it's already hard enough to keep the front down. Add more and you wouldnt be using it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
I have a tuner in upstate ny that pulled another 20hp out of thin air with my harley, just by dialing it in right,
Your Harley must have been very sick for you to get 20HP just by dialing it in. What did he do?

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven
Some Guy, you've been riding Hardleys too long man. The 910 R has enough HP, any more and it would be worse off, it's already hard enough to keep the front down. Add more and you wouldnt be using it.
true that...

Bike is doing awesome second gear power wheelies on heavy acceleration...

btw, modern 1000cc jap bikes, actually have limiters in the first few gears to prevent them from doing back flips..
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfuel
Your Harley must have been very sick for you to get 20HP just by dialing it in. What did he do?
Probably removed the snorkels (j/k)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfuel
Started it up! :laughing Sorry couldn't resist that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 PM

It's hard enough with the 910 engine to keep the front wheel down. It's also a chore to hang onto the bars in triple digits being naked. Anymore HP would be a waste not to mention scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode