All of a sudden - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
All of a sudden

I tried searching the thread for this specific issue - but cannot find anything.

Whilst there is plenty on overheating and temperatures etc - I cannot find an insight on the following.

Up to about 3 days ago, my radiator fan would come on at about 85 celsius, and would keep the bike at around 90-95 celsius at all times.

Now, the fan seems to be turning on and off intermittently, and running at different speeds, and the temperature now runs at 100 celsius most of the time, and climbs quickly when I stop.

The issue appears to be due to a fan that is failing, and not running at full speed or duration?

What will cause that - fuse, fan motor or the switch associated with the fan?

Look forward to some thoughts...

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 AM

sounds more like the fan than anything else. You could check the voltage at the fan connector if you had questions about whether it was getting full power, but DC motors don't last forever and I would start there.

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 AM

I know little when it comes to mechanics but have read alot about the overheating issues. I came across several posts talking about melting fans. I know that probably wouldnt be the cause but it seemed to be a common problem when the temperature was going up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
sounds more like the fan than anything else. You could check the voltage at the fan connector if you had questions about whether it was getting full power, but DC motors don't last forever and I would start there.
Yes, might need to get myself a volt meter, does seem to be fan motor related.

Thanks for the thinking.

BrutaleLuke

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
If they are the original plastic fans, check the blades. As stated they may have melted. Check for interference between the fan blades, the radiator and the metal fan shroud. My opinion is not that they melt from the heat coming through the radiators, but from the heat coming off the headers when they are not turning and the bike is hot.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Air pockets in the cooling system can also do that. Older bikes have 2 sensors in 2 locations. One for fans, one for ECM and temp gauge. Have you recently changed coolant?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM

My fan does not come on till its about 102 and then drops it down to about 94.............of course thats mainly stationary or in heavy traffic, goes down again once on the open road

Brit Biker with Triumphs and a love of Italians.
138 You are my best friend too.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Air pockets in the cooling system can also do that. Older bikes have 2 sensors in 2 locations. One for fans, one for ECM and temp gauge. Have you recently changed coolant?
This could be a very good point. I had the bike serviced about 3 weeks ago and they changed the coolant. They remarked on how my fan seemed to come on at different times.

The fan worked fine for last 3 weeks, and now, it is started going a little awry.

Are you suggesting I should then look at the 2 sensors, as they may have been damaged during the coolant change, or are there air pockets that need to be bled out?

BrutaleLuke

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I think you just need to "burp" the system.

When I changed coolant I somehow left a bit of air in the system. Several days later, as I left a stop, the temp readings got erratic and started to sky-rocket into overheat warning....and the fan did not come on!!! I freaked out. Spent a half hour in a gas station lot looking at fuses and connections and worrying about engine damage.

After a bit I decided I had to get home (less then 10 miles) and would just avoid any stops possible so air flow over the radiator would be steady. Got home, still worried with abnormal high temps intermittently, and started diagnosis in earnest.

Determined all sensors and circuits were OK. Noticed coolant seemed low? but no leaks. Topped up the reservoir, started the bike.....and have not had another problem (a few thousand miles later).

The air trapped had made its way out....Now I just have to figure out how to prevent that in the future.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:39 PM

Ask Noel how to get the air out

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode