Mirror Question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Mirror Question

I'm not all that impressed with the mirrors on my 1090RR and after reading some of the threads I like the Rizoma Limited Naked Universal Mirror solution. Since the current mirrors have integrated turn signals, what did those of you that did switch to the Rizoma's do for T/S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Established Member

Simple solution

From the first day, the mirror glass inside housings on my new 1090RR would creep and shift the view at @ 6,000 RPM. Like most riders, I quickly grew frustrated with having to constantly adjust the mirrors.

However, I really liked the looks of the mirror assemblies, and on several occasions, received very favorable comments on the high visibility of the turn indicators. Safety is Job One on motorcycles for me!

The solution I used has proven most satisfactory, and has not required a single adjustment in over 1,200 miles. I removed the glass, wet the plastic socket on the back side of the glass with a few drops of water, sprinkled a bit of very fine sand into the socket, and popped the mirrors back onto the ball. The water essentially is there to "glue" the grit in place during assembly

The added friction from the grit still allows adjustment, but the glass no longer creeps. In southern New Mexico, really fine rock dust is everywhere! Elsewhere, I suspect one could use a hammer and reduce common sand to really fine grit.

To remove the glass, press on the glass at the 6 O'clock position and you will be able to see into the mirror housing at the 12 O'clock position. Using a 8 mm wide flat blade screw driver, I gently pried between the edge of the SOCKET and the base of the BALL. Do not pry on the edge of the glass!

While this "fix" may over time, and many many adjustments of the glass, cause the ball and socket friction to diminish, once set, I rarely every need to adjust mirrors on any of my vehicles.

Best wishes,
Dick
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM

i put a piece of electrical tape stretched tight over the ball - same affect but it does creep when it gets hot out

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Established Member

I like you have the same problem.
I like the look of the bar end mounted rizoma lane splitters but I am still trying to work out what to do about the integrated indicators. I am considering drilling into the bracket that holds the front light and mounting a set of mirrors off a pre 2010 Brutale but for some reason drilling into a new bike just doesn't seem right. The other option is to fit a set of bar end indicators but I can't fit them and have the bar mounted mirrors. Questions, questions. The more I think about it the more I convince myself that drilling into the bracket is the best way forward. I can always order a spare bracket for 100 so when I sell the bike it can be returned to stock if required.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Oberons with blinkers:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ghlight=oberon

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Established Member

Thanks for the link jeffk. Now Iv'e seen a picture I like the idea even less. Time to get the drill out
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Established Member

it looks like crap, but it's real easy fix. small piece of rubber tube, cut in half. Insert around mirror edge. Push sideways until it gets tight. You can still adjust the mirrors, but it takes up the slack space and stops the vibration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode