Rear hub replacement options - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Rear hub replacement options

Recently purchased a beautiful 2006 Brutale 910 in the Silver/Red frame combo.One owner with 8000 miles on the odometer and in pristine condition (kept in a carpeted garage!). I've owned a few bikes including Ducatis and BMWs and this is by far the nicest, I love it.
As luck would have it I ignored a slight shimmy from the rear of the bike a couple of days ago and went for a spirited ride on some nearby B roads. I was pulling away from a traffic light going about 50mph when the rear end of my bike locked up. Needless to say it was quite an interesting moment when the bike slid to a stop from that speed and I considered the cars that I had left behind at the light were quickly coming up behind me! Luckily my Brute and I are both still here to tell the tale but please don't tell my wife or my riding days will be over...
So now my beautiful Brutale is sitting in my local repair shop and I am looking at the cost of replacing the rear hub, axle and brake carrier. Looking for feedback from others here that have had this experience. I called the MV dealer close to me here in NY and got a quote(!) for the parts I need to put my precious back together. Thanks to this very informative forum I know there is now an upgraded hub available for the bike which is how I want to go. When I spoke to the dealer and mentioned this new hub he tells me he's assuming MV will ship the upgraded hub automatically. I don't know if I am comfortable with his assumption. Does anyone in the US have any experience ordering the new upgraded hub kit from MV in the USA? Is there a part number for it?
I see that Vesuvio has the kit advertised and it includes the axle which I need and at a lower price than I was quoted by the dealer. Has anyone done this installation on one of the older bikes? Does the kit include everything you need? Any feedback on dealing with Vesuvio?
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Order the parts for the 2010 model....You will be better off working with the US dealer then shipping from overseas.
Try contacting MV Agusta USA...they have a tech support guy who might be able to give you some advice.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 PM

+1! get the complete 2010 F4 hub assembly.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
You will have no problems with Vesuvio. They have a good reputation here.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Established Member

Does the rear hub go bad more often at a certain mileage?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 AM
CAG

The rear hub goes bad for three different reasons.
1) improper torque on the hub bolts.
2) improper tension on the chain. (most common)
3) water inside.

Noel will tell you the little bearings were made for computers or something, not motorcycles. He is probably right, but have had good experience with the hubs on several MVs.

I have 13,000 miles on my on track bike, about 800 of them on the track, and have the same hub that was in the bike in '02.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The rear hub goes bad for three different reasons.
1) improper torque on the hub bolts.
2) improper tension on the chain. (most common)
3) water inside.

Noel will tell you the little bearings were made for computers or something, not motorcycles. He is probably right, but have had good experience with the hubs on several MVs.

I have 13,000 miles on my on track bike, about 800 of them on the track, and have the same hub that was in the bike in '02.
Hey CAG, same hub but i'm assuming you have serviced &/or replaced the bearings at certain intervals if so , what is you service schedule on the hub& bearings?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Manual says service interval is 12000 miles...clean, inspect and grease. Mine still looked like new with the factory grease in good condition at 12K.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackbiker View Post
Hey CAG, same hub but i'm assuming you have serviced &/or replaced the bearings at certain intervals if so , what is you service schedule on the hub& bearings?
Actually, I have done nothing except make sure the bolts are torqued to spec and the chain has around 6mm of slack.

One of these days I will take it out and have a look at the bearings. When it does need bearings, I'll just call Noel instead of using the search function.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM

My turn for a question. CAG, will hosing off the swing arm (normal hosing with a medium spray pattern) get water into the hub area? I noticed that the swing arm has a seam along the top above this. I am assuming there is a rubber gasket in there to prevent this, but thats an assumption. I almost never wet my bike (i'm anal like that) but I did hose off the rear wheel this past weekend to get some built up grime (mostly chain wax spray) off of the swing arm.

Any worries?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode