Cleaning the Radiator - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning the Radiator

Looking for simple solutions (products and/or techniques) to clean the radiator grill. And by that I mean the plastic cover in front of the radiator and radiator itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 AM

That's an interesting question, I look forward to see some answers to that.
Aside using a toothbrush... well, that might be the answer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 AM

In the land of Oz we have plenty of bugs.

I usually use a pair of tweezers to pull the big lumps out. Then I have found that a dust pan brush with long soft nylon bristles works well, lots of soapy water and an up and down motion on the radiator. Never go side to side as you risk folding the delicate aluminum fins. Wash off gently with the hose on a fan setting. Never use a high pressure washer on the radiator (or an MV Agusta for that matter).
Repeat till clean.

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Mac-D

Thanks Mac-Daddy. Will try and provide results later.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Simple green and a light hosing.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM

I don't have a guard on my S4R and that big radiator just cops everything.

To clean the best i can i use simple degreaser and WD40 then rub-a-dub-dub. It will quickly get 50% of the gunk off. The other 50% just depends on how long it's been on there for.

You really need to do this quite often, if you let it go like i did (although i was commuting so it's far harder to keep a bike clean), you won't get it squeaky clean again unless you completely remove the radiator and blast it with kryptonite or something?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM

I use this stuff on everything - just blast the bugs on the radiator with it, wait a couple minutes and hose it off. I use an old paintbrush if they don't come out with the hose.

This stuff is awesome except if it freezes, which it does at about 35*F
Attached Images

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Established Member

This is PFM

Any technology sufficiently applied is indistinguishable from pure frickin magic (PFM).

This is one of them. Common Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, sold in every chemist or drug store. In chemistry class they taught you it was H2O2, it still is and will dissolve bugs like magic.

When I saw a buddy pull out a small 2 or 3 ounce spray bottle, (the kind of thing women use for all manner of "stuff" they spray on themselves,) and spray a water weight clear liquid on the windscreen of his new Yamaha FJR1300, I was curious. This was like a brand new FJR. Cherry! WTF!

We'd been all day riding twisties in New Mexico and Arizona. The desert had baked a fair number of bugs on the perspex and as the liquid dripped down the windscreen and onto the painted fairing, the bugs just seemed to melt.

I've been to a few state fairs, a couple of rodeos, and a pig poling, but I'd never seen anything get bugs off like a few shots of H2O2 and a few minutes of time.

I've since found a few spray bottles and always have one in my kit. Earlier today, used the stuff to melt away the bugs in the oil cooler on my R1200GS after a 1.300 mile ride. Never had any paint marred, plastic melted, any wax removed, just hell on bugs.

Just keep tellin' folks, its your home made recipe for PFM.

Good squirtin'
Dick

Last edited by racasey; 07-08-2010 at 01:07 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 AM

Im going to have to give H202 a try next time Im cleaning dead bugs off my bike. Thanks for the tip.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode