engine pulsating around 5500 rpm - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

engine pulsating around 5500 rpm

I test drove an 08 910r today and noticed a small pulsation from the engine around 5500 rpm as if the bike lurches forward/back repeatedly (mild). Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Yes, mine did it to. A Powercommander smoothed out the surge at 5500rpm really nicely.

Dave.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:56 AM

That's not an option for 08 models with oxygen sensor. Search closed loop ecu for more info.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 AM

My Brutale has the closed loop system with the lambda sensor in the exhaust. The PCIII made a huge difference.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Established Member

The surging is quite normal around 70 to 80 mph in top. It seems as if the ECU is not sure which part of the map to use and is constantly changing between one setting and another. I have the corse exhaust and race chip fitted which is supposed to be an improvement over the standard set up but it still dose it.

Last edited by harryweld; 07-04-2010 at 04:40 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac666 View Post
My Brutale has the closed loop system with the lambda sensor in the exhaust. The PCIII made a huge difference.
Don't mean to dispute your experience. I just based that on the fact that Dusty at DynoJet in nearby Vegas told me that the power commander won't have any effect below 6000 rpm.

That was after I installed the power commander, had it on a dyno and saw no change of any kind to the performance characteristics of mine.

I'm glad it helped yours though.

MV Ultra Take the ride!

Last edited by agusta 17; 07-04-2010 at 04:53 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The surge at 5000 rpm was a documented problem, corrected with a new ECU.
Mine did it as well when it was new, and ECU was replaced under warranty at the first service. No problem after.
If this one has the new ECU already then the dealer needs to check the throttle body synch and TPS.

Power Commander does not make a unit for the 5SM ECU which has sequential injectors rather then the paired injectors of earlier bikes....the PC also cannot overcome the o2 sensor signal below 6K rpm. The injectors are also wired with a different polarity then earlier bikes, making it necessary to re-wire the PC plugs...and the PC will read wrong rpm unless a software patch is downloaded.

Fast By Ferraci will reflash your ECU for modifications like exhaust...for a ridiculous amount of money. Or you can order a "kit" ECU for the race exhaust from MV....or a Microtech from X-Bikes.

But if your bike is stock it should not surge at 5~6K steady cruise.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM

i got rid of it by just using the more expensive high octane fuel.
shell sells here in germany the "power racing 100 octane". a bit
more expensive, but with it the bike runs smooth as silk.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Power Commander does not make a unit for the 5SM ECU which has sequential injectors rather then the paired injectors of earlier bikes....the PC also cannot overcome the o2 sensor signal below 6K rpm. The injectors are also wired with a different polarity then earlier bikes, making it necessary to re-wire the PC plugs...and the PC will read wrong rpm unless a software patch is downloaded.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=82&yr=2006

Power commander DO make a PCMIII for the 5SM ECU. (as per above) They haven't bothered offering official support for the Brutale which means they haven't bothered to release base maps for that bike, but any half decent PCM dealer will be able to whip up a custom map for the 910 by modifying a similar map like a F4 1000 for example.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta 17 View Post
Don't mean to dispute your experience. I just based that on the fact that Dusty at DynoJet in nearby Vegas told me that the power commander won't have any effect below 6000 rpm.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=278&yr=2009

Sounds like the Dyno guys were getting confused with the PCMV (PCM5). I will ask at my local Dyno this Wednesday to see if the PCMIII has the same limitation. The 1078R and later 910 all have the 5SM ECU.

5500 rpm is generally the part of the rev range that vibrates your arms off. Why would you want to stay near the part of the range anyway? Does it get in the way of Cruising? I'm generally either between 2500-4000 when pootling around town, or 7000 upwards when I wanna go fast. I think the guys at MV selected an undesirable part of the rev range as a suitable compromise between economy riding, and performance riding when the engine really starts to get 'on-cam'. There's no variable valve timing, so there is always going to be a compromise somewhere.

Last edited by squibby; 07-04-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode