'08 910S, good choice??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
'08 910S, good choice???

Hello everyone, thanks for stoping by. It's been awhile since I started looking at these forums for information regarding the Brutale. I saw one of these bikes for the first time about a year ago, and fell in love almost instantly, and ofcourse i've been trying to find as much info as I possibly can.
I recently found out that an '08 910S is on sale for $8500, which really isn't too bad I think, but I've read many things that can go wrong with older Brutales, and I wanted to know if this also applied to the '08 models.
This bike has less than 3k miles and still under warranty, very clean looking bike. But is this a good deal, or would it be worth the money to buy the new 990R model? I've seen a lot of posts about the '06 models, but nothing much on the '08's... are they pretty much the same bikes, '06 to '08, and how does an '08 compare to the new 2010's???
I will be using this bike like everyone else I suppose, not really pushing the limits, weekend canyon runs, and a bit of stop and go city traffic as well as high temps in the area. I live in Las Vegas, so normal riding temps for the summer are around 108, give or take.
Also, how comfortable are these bikes in 2up riding???
Well, I don't want to make this longer than it already is, but any comments you guys have will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard.

You don't say how many miles are on the '08. $8500 is a bit high, in my humble opinion. There should be about a $2000 spread between the S and R models and R models are around $9,500-$10 in '08. You can buy '07 Rs for $8500.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:15 AM

I have an 08' 910s. Got about 2900 miles on it now. In terms of reliability they are pretty rock solid. The electrical issues (do a search on "SPU unit") that plagued the earlier models (pre 2008 models) were addressed by the 2008 model year.

I used to own a 2004 Brutale S 750. It was a blast but I had lots of small issues with that bike. My current 910s has been very reliable so far.

Pricewise I would try and negotiate that price a bit since for around a couple grand or so more you can probably get a lightly used 910r. With the 910r (as you probably already know), you'll get a slight bump in horsepower and better, more powerful brakes (Brembo versus the Nissin).

How does it compare to the 2010? 2010 (990r and 1090r) are new models. New, evolutionary styling changes, and much smoother throttle response. Many would say, almost Japanese-like if that makes any sense. Not that that is a bad thing. Just do a search and you'll read plenty of reviews on the 2010 models.

Mine was running fine in terms of temp, but I went ahead and installed the upgraded high output water impeller and it runs even cooler (coolant temp) now. No stalling.

As a 2 up bike, the Brutale would not be my first choice unless it's an occasional romp. But it all depends on personal preference and comfort threshold and how understanding you significant other is to riding.

Good luck. Enjoy the bike if you get it.

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s

Last edited by Mikeduc2; 07-03-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 AM

I have a 2007 model, that is the same as 2008 for you guyes over seas. You get bikes a bit later then us europeans. I have ridden it for 23000 km now , and have not experiensed any flaws what so ever.i think the problemes where sorted from that model and onwards. I would seriously uppgrade the bike to the new impeller system, since you have a whery hot climate.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:47 AM

20,000 miles on mine. The fuel line inside the tank came off, stranding me a looooong way from home. No other problems. It's running 200 degrees at night right now, 210 in the day without any upgrades in the same climate.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta 17 View Post
20,000 miles on mine. The fuel line inside the tank came off, stranding me a looooong way from home. No other problems. It's running 200 degrees at night right now, 210 in the day without any upgrades in the same climate.
Tell me, was that from a corroded rubber fuel line?
I had the same problem about a year ago.

The rubber overflow tube corroded/degraded from where it was clamped on the inside of the top of the tank. It fell into the petrol in the main tank and acted as a syphon drain the tank.

Had to remove tank to replace rubber tube, quick job, but shouldn't have needed to be done to a year old bike at the time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Established Member

you won't have any major problems with the '08 the ECU makes the difference.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM

seaeagle: It was warranty work so I didn't see anything. He said the u shaped line popped off. I stopped for breakfast after an all night ride and it wouldn't start back up. I could here a gurgling sound, no fuel escaped. It was rather embarassing. I didn't know it but I had chosen a favorite hangout for Sunday morning bikers and several came to see it. All wanted to hear it run. This went on for hours while I waited for rescue. I still love her but I worry about her synapses.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
14K miles on my 08 910R....great bike. Very reliable and easy to maintain. Your pillion passenger will not like it, however.

Also had a vent line split inside the tank...pissing gas out overflow after a fill up. Easy fix. Had the U shaped fuel hose come loose too, but happened when reinstalling the tank. High pressure surge when fuel filled the pump passages????

All that being said, I will now knock on wood.

Anyone notice the questioner has only the single post? Are you still there?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Anyone notice the questioner has only the single post? Are you still there?
It is a holiday weekend so maybe he's out enjoying it.

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode