Another Newbie- New 1090R-Thoughts? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Another Newbie- New 1090R-Thoughts?

Hi there, another proud owner of a Black/White 1090R. Will be delivered in the next 60mins...! Live in Aberdeen, although bike is coming up from a dealer in Manchester. Just joined the site so looking forward to being part of the family...I sold my Ducati 998S last year and looking forward to owning and riding the MV....

I've read loads of reports on the net about breaking in a new engine, especially the one from Moto man....Any thoughts/views on the subject would be gladly appreciated....I'll also be looking for a new CF hugger....Thanks again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome...Not an expert on the breaking in a new engine but I am sure there are a lot of people here with good advise. Enjoy the rides ...50 mins to go I guess.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 AM

Well done mate and welcome!

As for running in a new engine, my wife and i belt our cars and bikes from day one. We've never had anything fall apart, they've all run really well and we rack up plenty of kms on them to

I'd be more concerned about the damage caused to an engine from letting a bike/car sit in the garage for a month without being ridden. Lots of low km bikes out there with engine rebuilds because they sit in a shed and are rarely ridden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...That was my intention as well....I think the important part is changing the oil filter within the first 100 miles
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Established Member

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the club, black and white....good choice.
Ride it like you stole it from day one!!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Some will claim your engine has been run on the dyno right up to redline, so go ahead and flog it. Others say that was a short pull and you need to follow the manual to properly break it in.

Other than changing the oil filter after the first few miles, which sounds like a good idea to me, I would just follow the manual.

If you have a problem with the bike later and the dealer asks if you followed the break in procedure are you going to be able to say yes? Or worse yet, they tear down the engine and find evidence you rode it like you stole it from day one, they could invalidate your warranty.

You probably won't hurt anything riding it normally, but for the short period of time it takes to rack up the required mileage, do what the book says.

Welcome aboard.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Established Member

Running in a new engine

The attention to detail provided in the manufacturing and fabrication of a modern motorcycle in the category of this bike makes changing the oil filter in 100 miles unnecessary and frankly, in my view, wasteful.

MV Agusta specifies some RPM limits for running in this engine. Between you, me, and MV Agusta, I'd take the factory's advice, as they see the results of all those who choose not to follow their advice.

Attached are several pages from the 1090RR owner's manual.

I hope you enjoy the new bike this week and many years to come.

Dick
Attached Images

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 AM

Haggizbasher - Congrats on your acquisition - dunno about changing oil at 100 miles though - do MV put non/semi in for running in period?? I'd at least double that to let things 'smooth-up' inside... + self imposed Rev limits not as important as avoid loading up by being in too high a gear! Avoid towns - avoid motorways and constant RPM
Given that running in threads always create a lot of disparate views I await much
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
If you have a problem with the bike later and the dealer asks if you followed the break in procedure are you going to be able to say yes? Or worse yet, they tear down the engine and find evidence you rode it like you stole it from day one, they could invalidate your warranty.
This brings up a good question. Can the dealer actually readout what you have done during the run in time?

If an engine blows up within a few months i'd argue it was going to blow up regardless of whether the run in procedure was followed or not.

Granted following procedure will alleviate possible future headache's if they arise, i'd still like to know if they can actually read the data.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Established Member

Clearly my "Ride it like you stole it" comment got under CAG's skin. You posted more than 60mins ago so chances are your now out on your new toy experiencing the joy of brutale ownership. Sensible advice.... Take it out for a ten mile run being very cautious while you get use to the riding position and controls, wheel it back into your garage and adjust rear brake, gear change, mirrors, brake lever, clutch lever and pegs to suit. Take it back out and ride it steady for 100 miles to bed your tyres in, come home crack open a beer and tell us what you think then tomorrow RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode