Went to the dealer near Atlanta - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Went to the dealer near Atlanta

On Sunday we were heading back from Birmingham, AL to Savannah, GA. It seemed like a good opportunity to go by the new 'European Motorsports' dealer in Dahlonega. I had never been there so I was surprised to find that it is a very picturesque area with twisty roads and motorcycles everywhere. Anyway, the store had a new Brutale 1090 and a used 990 that I think was on consignment. They also had Aprilias and Moto Guzzis and such.

I'm actually thinking I might want to eventually buy a used 1078RR but I wanted to take a look at the new model. Overall, I liked it and it was a more comfortable seating position than my ZX-9R.

The salesman I spoke to said the Brutale has about 10 more hp than the Tuono and the power comes on way up in the rpm's. He claimed the Tuono has more torque and he thinks it is a more pleasant motorcycle for riding around town. That doesn't really jive with the impression I have gotten from the forum. But I've never ridden either so I don't know.

Anyway, they have a Tuono on their rental program and he said he expects they will have a rental Brutale sometime soon. I'm leaving for Iraq in less than 2 weeks so maybe they'll have both when I get back in a year.

It was fun looking around and my wife found some riding pants and gloves so they managed to make some money off of our perusing.

After we left, we stopped at a nearby Yamaha/Triumph/etc. shop that we had passed by on the way. We took a peek and, lo and behold, what did they have on their used lineup? - a 2006 910. So we hopped on it and checked the ergos. It actually felt a bit more upright than the 1090 but it wasn't a side-by-side comparison so maybe it's my imagination. Anyway, I wouldn't want the smaller model and they were asking $8000 for a scratched up bike.

Overall, I thought it was a very successful little trek. Is the info the salesman gave me accurate? I hate the way the front of the Tuono looks but I want a torquey bike. The lack of torque is one of the things I dislike about my ZX9R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Established Member

I have never ridden the Tuono, but used to have a 2007 Aprillia rsvr1000 Factory which had the same Rotax engine (not made by Aprilia, Rotax makes special use engines for ultra lights etc...)

It's a proven design, but it's a twin (2 cylinder) engine, which has different driving characteristics. Typically you get more torque out of a twin than an inline 4, but not the top end rush (most Ducatis are twins).

I can tell you that my 1090 Brutale absolutley spanks the Aprillia I owned in the power department, and is a lot faster. the Aprilia handled very well though.

If you get the Tuono I would get the Factory model. comes with Ohlins Suspension and more carbon bits. Hope this helps.

The Ducati Streetfighter is a better, more powerfull naked twin (alternative to the Tuono) if you want to go that route, and worth checking out. Also the Tuono is an old design, very close to the end of it's life. I would not be surprised to see the Tuono packing the new RSV4 (V-4 cylinder) engine next year. It will kick ass with that plant in my opinion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

the Aprilia only makes 104-109 HP
http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 AM

How in the world did you get pass Dahlonega coming from Birmingham to Savanaha? Man that was a LOONNGGG way around! If you have never ridden up in that area you have no idea how great the roads get. When we have our little shindig this year (Bubba II) just north of ATL that is one of the places where we(MV Riders) all go up as a group amongst other places. Well good luck in Iraq Im in Afghan now. No Idea why people are still being pushed there with the downsizing that is slowly happening. And anything that you ride now days will FAR exceed the ZED 9.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys! The Tuono with a V4 would be very interesting for me. I really miss the torque my old V65 Sabre's had (they were V4's). I got the impression the Brutale's have great torque - am I maybe expecting too much? I definitely wouldn't be interested in the twin Tuono if it only has around 100hp - that stinks.

Yes, Dahlonega was a bit out of the way but I figured that was the easiest way to see an MV in person. Hope everything is going good for you in Afghanistan. We are supposed to be the last rotation in the North of Iraq.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Established Member

If you want torque, I would go with the streetfighter. it has the 1098 ducati twin., claimed 155hp at crank. I have an 1198 and believe me, it has a pile of torque. You can't beat the sound of a ducati twin with Termis on it either.

There are comparisions of the brutale and streetfighter out there. They are very similar bikes, with very different performance characteristics. you can ride the new Brut all day and track it and have a blast. The S.F. has a bit more character / heat / radical seating etc.... with the big torque of a twin.

Can't go wrong either way really. The MV looks a bit cooler in my opinion. The S.F. S is available with Ohlins suspension and also has traction control like the 1090 MV.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

You had me all the way up to "radical seating". I want something considerably more comfortable than my ZX-9R. That's what has drawn me to the Brutale. I have considered the new VMAX but I want a bike that will power wheelie easily at low rpm's. I think the VMAX has too long of a wheelbase for that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Established Member

It's probably a matter of opinion, but on the Streetfighter I feel like I'm right over the front wheel vs. the brutale which is upright very comfortable. It might me just perspective as the dash is larger and higher on the brutale. You should look at both. FYI, I had a V-45 Magna back in the day... Love the drone of that v-4, even though it was pretty gutless. Great bike though.

The S.F. is pretty much unbeatable in the power wheelie departement, but believe me the Brutale with rip it off the tarmac in the first 3 gears. there is a you tube of guy ripping wheelies at will on a 1090.

Last edited by Squid; 06-15-2010 at 08:55 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
It's probably a matter of opinion, but on the Streetfighter I feel like I'm right over the front wheel vs. the brutale which is upright very comfortable. It might me just perspective as the dash is larger and higher on the brutale. You should look at both. FYI, I had a V-45 Magna back in the day... Love the drone of that v-4, even though it was pretty gutless. Great bike though.

The S.F. is pretty much unbeatable in the power wheelie departement, but believe me the Brutale with rip it off the tarmac in the first 3 gears. there is a you tube of guy ripping wheelies at will on a 1090.
Agreed. When I rode the street fighter I felt it was very forward over the dash. Brutale had better seating position. I also rode a base without adjustable sets.

I love the ducat twin power delivery, look at my handle, but I have heard of fueling issues with the SF as well.

The true man wants two things: danger and
play. For that reason he wants woman, as the
most dangerous plaything. - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can take them for a ride. You can never tell what you will like from specs or descriptions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode