LENCAP - Buyers Remorse Update? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
LENCAP - Buyers Remorse Update?

Hi Len...your original thread has been hijacked somewhat....was wondering how you and Sophia were getting along?

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 AM

I was thinking the same...havent heard from you (LENCAP). Hope all is sorted out and things great with you and Sophia.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Established Member

Hello Everyone -

Sophia and I have a highly emotional relationship. Our age difference is apparent - she is young, spirited, and full of life; I'm quite a bit older, less forgiving and set in my ways.

Over the last few weeks we've been passionately exploring each other and have realized that despite each other's occasional shortcomings, this is a relationship worth preserving, and so we will.

I hired a professional detail expert a few weeks back and Sophia has never looked better. Red and shiny and everything "just so". Sophia told me that the better she looks, the better she feels, and it's evident.

Saturday I dropped her off at the local dealership for a full workup. I spoke with the service manager and the MV Agusta tech, going over a page full of things that need attention. Everything from the weak battery, continued stalling, suspension adjustments and changing all fluids. They are backed up, so it may take over a week to get to everything, assuming that no parts are needed.

I told the service manager and tech to "do it right". I'm not interested in saving a few dollars on service; I want Sophia to be at her best.

I also spoke with Matthew Stutzman at MV Agusta (MV Agusta Brand Manger) and shared some of my concerns. Matt was very understanding and he wants to see Sophia in top form as well. He has a great attitude: "We want all of our machines running at their best." So do all of us. It's great to see that the factory rep agrees. I'm not sure if I will need to replace some computer chip or sensor, but at least it's encouraging to know that if I need parts the factory will try to make parts available as quickly as possible.

Overall, the more I ride the Brutale the better I like it. I scared myself shifting aggressively from second to third. I didn't expect the front wheel to rise off the ground as quickly as it does. It's almost impossible to stay off the throttle. At a local street with lots of tight turns I backed off a bit, blaming the suspension for not being set correctly for me. Fact is Sophia laughed at me. "You ask me to run wild and when I do you pull the leash tight. Want do you want of me?" The lady has a point. She suggested a visit to a doctor that could help -- Keith Code and the Superbike School at Virginia International Racetrack in August. See, relationship counseling helps.

I must say that the Brutale has me on the fence about my vehicle choices. I was thinking of getting an Italian sports car - I've lusted after a Ferrari for decades - but given the performance, fun and cost of the Brutale it seems that once it's sorted out it will meet all my needs and more. Add to that the very small amount of space it takes in the garage, and the big hole in my wallet that I can save, and it's a "no brainer" to keep Sophia until I can no longer ride her (I re-read that and I'm not sure that conveys the message I'm trying to send, but I think you get the point).

I guess it comes down to this - I've owned literally dozens of motorcycles, in all colors and flavors - but of the entire group of them only a few stand out. The Brutale is in very select company with my former Ducati 916, Moto Guzzi California, and my Yamaha R6. Given all these bikes and more, for me, at my age and skill level, I can think of nothing better than the Brutale among all of my many rides.

Sophia has done her part - smiling at me every time the garage opens, and responding at the slightest touch with passion and grace. Can't ask for more than that in life.

So I have my Italian mistress, and my Italian wife, like many Italian wives, isn't always happy with that, but she understands that it's best to accept some things graciously. She is fully supportive of my riding, even at my age. She only asks two things - wear the appropriate gear, and take as many riding/coaching classes as you can. I'm sometimes lax about the gear - always have a full face helmet, gloves and over the ankle boots, but I wear jeans far too often instead of my Aerostich suit. I do take riding classes often - at least one a year.

I'm a happy man - two hot Italian women in my life. My wife of 38 years, and a mistress of far more recent vintage. Interestingly enough, my wife had a few natural red highlights in her hair when we met - was it an omen of things to come?

Finally, one more thing I've learned. The Brutale needs to be ridden, hard and often. It doesn't like sitting in the garage shackled to a Battery Tender. It doesn't like the gasoline getting stale in the tank. It doesn't like being ignored. Passion about a Brutale isn't something you have on an occasional basis - it has to be true passion, or like any other relationship built on passion it will wither and die.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."

Last edited by lencap; 06-14-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yes.....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Finally, one more thing I've learned. The Brutale needs to be ridden, hard and often. It doesn't like sitting in the garage shackled to a Battery Tender. It doesn't like the gasoline getting stale in the tank. It doesn't like being ignored. Passion about a Brutale isn't something you have on an occasional basis - it has to be true passion, or like any other relationship built on passion it will wither and die.
Well Len, on behalf of the forum - thanks again for a wonderful description of your relationship....I for one certainly enjoy your descriptive style and it's good to hear the love-life is getting better...sounds like you're both understanding each other's rythyms

...and you last point is one I support 110%, I'd almost liken it to a great working Quarter-Horse. Power, agility, great speed...absolute sure footedness (sic)...and a feeling of singularity with its rider once they both understand who's in charge

Do keep us updated on your regular dates with Sophia

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Established Member

Cruiser - thanks for the kind comments. You are right, Sophia and I are learning each others rhythms. It's like a dance - some steps are simple, others more complex, but in the end it's art. That sums up my feeling for MV Agusta - in the end, it's art. The performance, the passion, the sounds, sensations and feelings that the machine evokes stir the soul, completely bypassing everything else. That's why I love all things Italian - perfection is secondary to passion. Kind of reminds me of the road less traveled - and the joys of following your heart, regardless of the cost.

Thanks also to everyone on this forum - lots of good people, giving good advice, friendly conversation and doing so with tolerance and an open mind. Quite a combination. A tribute to everyone.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Thanks also to everyone on this forum - lots of good people, giving good advice, friendly conversation and doing so with tolerance and an open mind. Quite a combination. A tribute to everyone.
+1

Couldn't agree more

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 AM

LENCAP, Nice to hear that things are moving along fine and you and Sophia are getting to know each other better.
Have to say its always nice to read the way you put your feelings into words. I remember when I decided it was time to buy a bike, I looked at a lot of bikes, as it was my first big bike I thought the monster will fit the bill, but just could not buy it as the brutale made me loose my sleep. I dint wanna buy the brutale as most of the information I had about the bike was that it was unreliable, difficult to maintain, problem with spare parts, very expensive. But all this information from people that do not have a brutale or know much about MV Agusta bikes. I had to get more information. Started by reading the reviews and then found this forum and man what a journey it has been. Against all advice went in for the brutale, spent a lot more (actually double) than I would have for a monster. I did face a few problems and scares in the start (mostly because of the fear of stalling issues) but they were easily sorted out and now I do understand this "motorcycle art" in its true sense. I dont think any other bike can stir my mind and soul as much because of the way it looks, sounds and rides, now to find some more money so I could get an F4 as well. hehehe need some more art.
In the end I now have this Italian piece of art and a wonderful family (mvagusta.net). Thank you everyone.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Established Member

Thanks again to everyone for the generous comments about my posts.

Called the dealer today to check on my lady and she is still awaiting the technician's attentions. They are really backed up in the service area. She isn't very happy having to wait for her turn. "Is this what you expect of me? Patiently waiting my turn? Would you expect Lady Di to 'wait her turn'? Don't complain later when I make you wait to get my full attention."

Geez, women. After all these years, I still can't figure them out. "Figure me out? Is that all I am to you - a puzzle?" Can't win with Sophia, so I won't argue any further. I promised her my full attention as soon as she returns home.

Hopefully I can get Sophia in "the mood". Maybe a good meal of Super Shell and a nice hot bubble bath will do the trick. Sophia demands a lot of attention, nothing like Brunhilde, my 2004 BMW R1150R. She didn't mind getting dirty, playing in bad weather or being asked to ride along with the locals. In fact, I don't remember Brunhilde complaining about anything, ever. She just was there for me every day, as reliable as dirt and happy to wait for me to notice her instead of demanding attention. Alas, as lovely as her personality was, the passion was never there. We parted as friends, and we still think of each other on occasion, but in the end we knew that we weren't destined to be together forever. "I'm committed to you, but if you don't feel the same, I want you to leave and follow your heart." Quite a girl that Brunhilde was.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Len, that's what you get when you compare your older sister to your lover

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode