Advice on fitting Arrow Link Pipe/Collectors to Brutale 1078RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Advice on fitting Arrow Link Pipe/Collectors to Brutale 1078RR

Can anyone provide me some guidance.

I'm wanting to remove the Catalytic Convertor from my 2009 MY Brutale 1078RR.

I am ready to place an order for Arrow Collector pipes and Link Pipe (leaving OEM Mufflers on the bike). I need to order both as the CC is welded to the Headers on the 1078RR.

I'm getting conflicting reports on what to do with respect to ECU.

On one hand I'm told to fit a Power Commander 5 and have it Dyno Tuned - this is from a very respectable Sydney company (Motorcycle Weaponary) who many on this site swear by.

On the other hand I'm being told to fit a MV Corse Racing ECU and not the PC. This is recommended from a supplier of the pipes and ECU.

Can anyone advise on the pro's / con's of each. Cost wise they're about the same price - so that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Can anyone provide me some guidance.

I'm wanting to remove the Catalytic Convertor from my 2009 MY Brutale 1078RR.

I am ready to place an order for Arrow Collector pipes and Link Pipe (leaving OEM Mufflers on the bike). I need to order both as the CC is welded to the Headers on the 1078RR.

I'm getting conflicting reports on what to do with respect to ECU.

On one hand I'm told to fit a Power Commander 5 and have it Dyno Tuned - this is from a very respectable Sydney company (Motorcycle Weaponary) who many on this site swear by.

On the other hand I'm being told to fit a MV Corse Racing ECU and not the PC. This is recommended from a supplier of the pipes and ECU.

Can anyone advise on the pro's / con's of each. Cost wise they're about the same price - so that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Most advice I have had from very very knowledgeable types (not that MW are not - they are legends from all reports), that the EPROM (Corse) option is superior. I think the differences are minimal though - and if MW are used to the PC, then maybe it is best to go with that combination?

My 5 cents worth (was 2 cents prior to the GFC)...

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Established Member

John,
I have a 2009 1078RR Brutale the same as you and I last month I installed the Arrow headers and cross over pipe. I kept the stock mufflers and installed the O2 sensor in the new cross over pipe. I made no other changes and the bike runs perfectly. I haven't noticed any power increase or reduction in heat. The sound is the same. The bike looks much cleaner to me and lost a few pounds as well. I do intend to add a Microtec ECU from Chris at XBikes in the future to smooth out the "snatchyness" at low throttle openings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 BSA 650 Lightning cafe' racer - sold to my insurance agent.
2006 Buell XB12Ss
2007 KTM 300XCW (e)
2008 Buell 1125r - Gone but not forgotten.
2009 Brutale 1078RR

The older I get, the faster I was.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to flabbagusta'd
I'm pleased to find this thread, as I was about to ask the same question. The response from JerseyGuy however, has confused me. I have just asked Design Corse to quote me for a set of headers and a link pipe for my 2008 1078RR, and they say and I quote:
"The Lambda sensor cannot be fitted to the Decat pipe as the readings going
to the ECU would be completely out causing problems with the bikes fueling.
You must get an o2 sensor eliminator and a bung plug kit."

Is this correct, or can I do what JerseyGuy has done and just put the sensor in the link pipe? He appears to not notice any difference from standard.
If I do as they say will it alter the fuelling? Will it improve it? HELP!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Im not certain but i think Arrow do two diffrent set ups, one that accepts Lambda and one that doesnt
on my 910R i have Arrow Headers and Link Pipe that accepts the Lamda and works fine but was told that to improve fueling it would be good to Map the Bike after these changes or even a PCIII.

I bought mine from Design corse also 5 months ago. If you are looking to track your brutale then i would suggest choosing the Link pipe without the Lambda and get the sensor eliminator & changing the ECU to the Race ECU from MV.

James
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to flabbagusta'd
Yes James, I have just received more info from Design Corse and he agrees with your comments. I thought that the main reason for replacing the ECU with the race type, was that the race type switched off the lambda (O2) sensor.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Established Member

The Arrow crossover pipe that I purchased from Motovation had a bung for the O2 sensor and it also came with a plug if you choose to not use the O2 sensor. I suspect that you can get better performance with a programmable ECU and a good map and not need the O2 sensor. Perfection might be the Microtec ECU, a map from Chris at XBikes AND a wideband O2 sensor which the Microtec can accept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Buell XB12Ss
2007 KTM 300XCW (e)
2009 Brutale 1078RR

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Hey, I'm also interested in getting the moto corse titanium header pipes and mid/de-cat pipe but retain my stock mufflers. I've also got the microtek ecu in my bike. What do I need to do to fit the new headers and mid pipe using the stock mufflers?. They have provision for the 02 sensor.Just interested in getting rid of the cat...for the look more than anything I suppose.

Last edited by BG Wells; 06-10-2010 at 05:02 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Established Member

BG,
I'm guessing that you don't need anything extra. You just need to check by making sure the titanium mufflers that go with the titanium crossover are the same fitment as the stock mufflers. The Arrow stainless steel crossover was a perfect fit to the stock mufflers.
Are you pleased with the Microtec? Chris at XBikes called me on the phone after I emailed him. He's a very nice guy and knows his shit about mapping. I'm going to get one but I've got to save up the $1,300. I've been watching the GBP drop on the US dollar and hoping to save a bit!

2006 Buell XB12Ss
2007 KTM 300XCW (e)
2009 Brutale 1078RR

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Established Member

On the issue of whether or not you must remap/replace the ECU if you only change out the headers and crossover pipe; I researched this forum and the consensus seems to be that if you retain the stock mufflers, then you do not have to change the stock ECU. I retained the stock ECU and my bike runs fine.

2006 Buell XB12Ss
2007 KTM 300XCW (e)
2009 Brutale 1078RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode