Help With Tire Aspect Ratio & Performance - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Help With Tire Aspect Ratio & Performance

Hi,

I need to put new rubber on my 2006 910S. I see according to my manual I can fit tires with an aspect ratio of 50 or 55 on the rear.

I'm currently replacing the OEM Pirelli's which came with a rear aspect ratio of 50. I see all current model Brute's now come with 55 as stock. I believe I understand the technical definition of aspect ratio, but I have zero idea of what it will mean PRACTICALLY if I go from an aspect ratio of 50 to 55 in the rear performance wise. As far as I can tell right now it will make the rear end ever so slightly taller, correct?

Can anyone help enlighten me a bit?

Thanks much.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
So far, so good. Yes a taller tire will make the bike sit higher. It does not affect the factory specified ride height, but it certainly affects the ride height! (There was a long thread about this.)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Established Member

Should make it turn in a little quicker too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cag. Any idea where that thread might be located? I've searched but have come up empty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Should make it turn in a little quicker too.
Thanks Red. What is the trade off of turning in a little quicker? Any?

2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM

I don't know about trade off but the way it just falls over and does all the work for me with just the slightest input is one of the best things about the bike. I'm staying with the 55.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Do a search for "ride height tool" or look for posts by Hartley Hare. Hartley Hare, who is an electrical genius and a member whose opinion I respect, was making the case the if you measure the ride height using the factory ride height tool, you are not measuring the ride height of the bike. And he is correct. You are measuring the distance between the top of the rear axle and a fixed point on the bike. Maybe it was semantics, but he has a point.

I taller tire, 55 aspect ratio, will be "less round". There is a steeper pitch from the top of the tire to the side meaning that when you do lean the bike over, it will fall off the center "edge" quicker than on a 50 profile tire with its nice parabola. Because of this steeper angle, there is also more of the tire in contact with the ground when the bike is leaned over.

Disclaimer: I have not taken any actual measurements. There are a lot of guys on this forum a lot smarter than I am and they may have a different answer. If they do, ignore what I just posted and listen to them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Established Member

I changed form a 50 to a 55 at the beginning of this season. I know that the 55 adds height, but feeling the difference is minimal at best. The turn in has improved exponentially, increasing "filckabilty" and allowing me to hold a line more easily in the turn. Go with the 55, you won't regret it.

Last edited by mikjr79; 06-07-2010 at 06:00 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Talking profiles.....

the rear 55s are 'triangular' which matches the front better than, for example the 190x50 which is very round in cross section
if when going to 55s, tip in seems a little fast, lower the forks 1/2 a line in the triple clamps, then try it

i just never felt comfortable on 190x50s.....then i went to 180x55, i love the difference

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks everyone, all opinions are solidly with the 55.

Interestingly enough, I had a conversation with Reg Pridmore (yes THAT Reg Pridmore) from CLASS motorcycle school. I will be riding with him and his instructors at VIR in July, he suggested staying with the 50, said he actually went from the 55's to the 50 as he felt the tip in was too fast and prefers the 50's. Thought I had my mind made up until I saw all the reply's from all you great folks all saying go 55!

Man am I torn!

Thanks again,

Rob

2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode