New Brutale Owner With Questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

New Brutale Owner With Questions

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to this site and to MV Agusta in general. I just purchased a 2006 Brutale 910S with the Gladio kit and I absolutely love the bike!

I have a few questions that I have found partial answers to by using the search field, but not all. I apologize if I'm missing them somewhere, but I'll go ahead and ask as you all seem like a very nice well informed bunch! Ok, here goes:

1. How easy/difficult is it to do an oil change on a 910S? Do I need any special tools? Is there a particular brand of filter and oil that most like to use?

2. Is there a consensus on the best coolant to use?

3. I seem to have the heating/stalling issue and couldn't tell if there was a DEFINITIVE fix for this and what it's called. I saw a few different opinions and terminology as to the part that needs changing out and whether that will 100% fix the issue.

4. I can feel engine buzz right under my crotch! While some may find it pleasurable I find it distracting. Will a better seat remedy this or do I need to look into something like better rubber mounts?

5. Speaking on the better seat issue, I have seen references to something or someone named Spencer for like $50. Can someone enlighten me?

6. My manual calls for 95+ octane fuel. Where I'm at I can only get 93 octane, will this be an issue over the long term? I think Sunoco is the only station that carries 95+ but they are not close to me at all. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the multitude of questions and again, I'm sorry if they've been covered before, it's just that I keep coming up with bits and pieces to these questions and was hoping for a clearer picture.

Thanks very much, I look to contributing to this forum as much as I can!

Rob

P.S. I'm looking to sell the Gladio Kit #20 of 300 made - (Standard kit -excellent condition), so if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust

Last edited by tridentnyc; 06-06-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 PM

i can answer the fuel question, european ratings are different than ours, 91 is equivalent to there 95 I believe. I use 93 and have no trouble.

heres wikipedia with the low down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridentnyc View Post
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to this site and to MV Agusta in general. I just purchased a 2006 Brutale 910S with the Gladio kit and I absolutely love the bike!

I have a few questions that I have found partial answers to by using the search field, but not all. I apologize if I'm missing them somewhere, but I'll go ahead and ask as you all seem like a very nice well informed bunch! Ok, here goes:

1. How easy/difficult is it to do an oil change on a 910S? Do I need any special tools? Is there a particular brand of filter and oil that most like to use?

It's like every other bike. OEM oil filters are expensive. I use Hi-Flo oil filters, part number HF554.
You may have a little difficulties with room around oil filter, but it is not mission impossible.

2. Is there a consensus on the best coolant to use?

Not really. Some say they see effect of dropping the temperatures, but I kind of doubt it.

3. I seem to have the heating/stalling issue and couldn't tell if there was a DEFINITIVE fix for this and what it's called. I saw a few different opinions and terminology as to the part that needs changing out and whether that will 100% fix the issue.

You should get TPS reset, CO adjusted and throttle blades balanced at your dealer or mechanic with proper tools.

4. I can feel engine buzz right under my crotch! While some may find it pleasurable I find it distracting. Will a better seat remedy this or do I need to look into something like better rubber mounts?

Are your tires OK, well balanced? I never feel this kind of buzz.

5. Speaking on the better seat issue, I have seen references to something or someone named Spencer for like $50. Can someone enlighten me?

Never heard of him. But @adecritten makes wonderful seats.

6. My manual calls for 95+ octane fuel. Where I'm at I can only get 93 octane, will this be an issue over the long term? I think Sunoco is the only station that carries 95+ but they are not close to me at all. Any suggestions?

You are probably in US. You have different octane counting than in Europe. You will be OK with your gas.

Sorry for the multitude of questions and again, I'm sorry if they've been covered before, it's just that I keep coming up with bits and pieces to these questions and was hoping for a clearer picture.

Thanks very much, I look to contributing to this forum as much as I can!

Rob

P.S. I'm looking to sell the Gladio Kit #20 of 300 made - (Standard kit -excellent condition), so if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.
As for heating; I installed BODIS eprom. Temperatures dropped for almost 10 degrees Celsius, fuel consumption is now 25% lower.
You can get it at site sponsor Vesuvio. Best mod ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. So far two down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Easy.
No.
I use an OEM filter that does not have the MV stamp. What I mean by this is that you can buy a cheap filter, OEM MV filter with the MV stamp, or OEM filter without the MV stamp. Use the part number from the MV OEM filter and do a search on google or search this forum for oil filters. The topic has been covered extensively.

Need further details. Does this happen at idle? Is this 'buzz' related to the rpms? Has this always been present?

Need further information. Why do you believe the 'buzz' is associated to your seat? Or, is your seat uncomfortable?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Spencer seats:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Established Member

Maybe you could help me too. I have the same buzz... It gets worse with higher RPMs. It is more like a very intense vibration and I noticed it about a month ago. The bike is new so I would guess it's been there the entire time and I just didn't notice it before now.

1989 Feber/Honda CS 6 Volt, 1.5mA
1972 Motomorni 50cc
2004 Kawasaki Ex 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX6R
2001 Kawasaki ZX6R
2006 Yamaha R6s
2004 MV Agusta Brutale Oro

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidWhy View Post
Need further details. Does this happen at idle? Is this 'buzz' related to the rpms? Has this always been present? Need further information. Why do you believe the 'buzz' is associated to your seat? Or, is your seat uncomfortable?
LiquidWhy,

The buzz is definitely RPM related, really feel it around 3-4k. It's a very buzzy vibration that comes up from the front of the seat and starts buzzing the inside of my inner thighs and the ol' "Block & Tackle", not a great feeling.

I've ridden many bikes over the years and this is not a typical vibration, it is a high frequency "buzzy" type vibration that is pretty annoying and distracting. This buzz is also apparent in the handlebars, but I plan on remedying that with bar ends from Motovation.

It's not that the seat is uncomfortable, just that the seat as many on this forum have noted, is very thinly padded...especially right near the front of the seat where it meets the tank.

Hope that defines the issue a bit more.

Thanks!

Rob

2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

JettaMedic,

I'll definitely let you know what I figure out. I figure I have to, as the bike feels like it belongs in a sex shop at the moment instead of on the road! Girls might dig it, but I'm not. This buzz will have to go!

By the way, I read on another post you got a full compliment of Motovation sliders, how ya like the look of them on the bike so far? Were they easy to install? Any pics of the sliders installed on your bike? Very nice bike by the way!

Thanks.

2006 Brutale 910S
Gladio Kit
Arrow Exhaust
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Established Member

Yeah the buzz is of high frequency and it's bothersome. I feel it in the handle bars too. I did get handlebar weights from motivation but they only helped a little. The right hand seems worse actually. Maybe I tightened it too much and the rubber piece ripped. Here is a link to the sliders with pics. I like 'em. They don't look too bad for such piece of mind too.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...hlight=Sliders

1989 Feber/Honda CS 6 Volt, 1.5mA
1972 Motomorni 50cc
2004 Kawasaki Ex 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX6R
2001 Kawasaki ZX6R
2006 Yamaha R6s
2004 MV Agusta Brutale Oro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode