Morning all..... potential new 1078RR owner with questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
MOz

Morning all..... potential new 1078RR owner with questions

Hi all,

Name is MOz and I am currently in the market for a new naked sports bike. Have test ridden the Streetfighter twice and enjoyed it on the whole but historically i have not been a fan of twins so after digging about a bit, decided the MV 1078RR might be what I am after. A few random questions. I am current serving abroad so have limited access to the net so some of these questions might be a bit noddy so I aplogise for that!

- I have never ridden a Brutale. I am 6ft tall. I have heard the 1078 is a bit on the small side. How do the taller owners get on with theirs?

- Reading about the 1078, the fact that it has an "on-off" throttle crops up quite a bit. Is it really that bad?

- I can't quite tie down exactly what wheels it has. Some mention Brembos, others mention Marchesini's. Can anyone confirm the oem fitment for me? The bike I have my eye on is a UK spec bike on a 59 plate (registered between Sep 09 and Mar 10) so I am guessing it is an 09 bike.

- The "1078" decals on the lower side of the tank. Are these lacquered in? Shoot me down but I think it looks a bit shit and would rather have them removed if possible.

- Can I safely assume the master cylinders (brake and clutch) are both Brembo radials?

- Does the bike have as standard (or need) a steering damper?

Any other gotchas, pitfalls or other things I need to look out for. I want a bike that'll ride fairly smooth at low town speeds but is quite stiff out of the box. I also want a bike that'll loft the front in a nice smooth and controlled manner off the throttle in second!

Finally any other UK members on the site who can advise me of service costs and good v bad dealers in good old Blighty. I live in the Oxfordshire area.

Thanks all. Hopefully you'll help me to make a new bike decision in the MV direction!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
- I have never ridden a Brutale. I am 6ft tall. I have heard the 1078 is a bit on the small side. How do the taller owners get on with theirs?
I'm only 5'8" so can't really answer, but it fits me very well...footpeg height may be a bit tight for you, but can be corrected with adjustable rearsets.

- Reading about the 1078, the fact that it has an "on-off" throttle crops up quite a bit. Is it really that bad?
Not really..older bikes with early fuel injection systems were much worse. Newer 5SM ECUs are much better.

- I can't quite tie down exactly what wheels it has. Some mention Brembos, others mention Marchesini's. Can anyone confirm the oem fitment for me? The bike I have my eye on is a UK spec bike on a 59 plate (registered between Sep 09 and Mar 10) so I am guessing it is an 09 bike.
Brembo owns Marchesini, so brand name is interchangeable. Mine are labeled Brembo, but that is just a sticker.

- The "1078" decals on the lower side of the tank. Are these lacquered in? Shoot me down but I think it looks a bit shit and would rather have them removed if possible.
Yep...all decals on the fuel tank are clear coated as are most decals on any of the painted parts.

- Can I safely assume the master cylinders (brake and clutch) are both Brembo radials?
Nope...they are Nishin....

- Does the bike have as standard (or need) a steering damper?
Not in my opinion...although some feel the need. I've had mine on the track and have also hit surprise bumps in the middle of hard corners and never had any head shake to make me feel I needed a damper.

Any other gotchas, pitfalls or other things I need to look out for. I want a bike that'll ride fairly smooth at low town speeds but is quite stiff out of the box. I also want a bike that'll loft the front in a nice smooth and controlled manner off the throttle in second!
If you want to do occasional wheelies you are in the right place !!!

Finally any other UK members on the site who can advise me of service costs and good v bad dealers in good old Blighty. I live in the Oxfordshire area.
Can't help....I'm in the US

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 AM

As for your height, I'm 6 ft and have no problem on my 750, although I will probably get some adjustable rearsets later this summer. I haven't ridden over 150 miles in a trip yet, but I've felt good so far.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
MOz

Thanks for the replies chaps. Vey helpful. I presume that no matter what "name" the wheels carry, they are identical as far as weight and design go.

I am very disappointed that MV has fitted the finest brake calipers on the planet but decided to fit a vastly inferior master cylinder. Not a great decision that.

I know I can get a set of reasonable rear sets for about 190 so that might be the answer, however, whether they will actually give me any more leg room is debatable.

Any Brits about yet????
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You might be surprised to find the Nissin master cylinders work very well. I would not call them inferior at all.

Some people have chosen to fit Brembo master cylinders....not sure it would be worth the cost in terms of performance improvement. The main piece of the braking puzzle is the calipers, pads and rotors.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 PM

1078rr

Picked up 09 1078rr from Forza Italia at Silverstone last month. Top folks for all Italian bikes.
Mine has forged Marchesini wheels. I am 5'10" with short legs and pegs do seem high, but not uncomfortable!
Whole bike felt very small on first couple of rides but beautifully balanced.
It will shake and lift when accelerating hard over bumps but not thinking it needs steering damper. Needs respect though!
Have fun. I am..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Got my new 1078rr tonight. No regrets whatsover...well chuffed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
MOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Brutale View Post
Picked up 09 1078rr from Forza Italia at Silverstone last month. Top folks for all Italian bikes.
They will be my local dealer. What sort of sales service and deal did you get? I have heard great things about their service dept but not about their salesteam when it comes to negotiating a deal!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 AM

Hiya MOz
Had my 910s from MCO Wigan used but only 800 miles excellent sales have full range of bikes for sale give them a call comparisons always help.
www.motorcyclecentreorrell.co.uk
Anyway just enjoying mine,what a bike goes like stink throttle response is superb and as stated before give this bike some respect it is not an Italian Female it may be to look at but for your first few trips out just treat like any lady and you will have a grin from ear to ear. I am 6ft tall and find the riding position good if not better than good the only gripe i have with the bike is the mirrors are crap but i think the 1078 are revised bigger and indicators within wheels from spec sheet are also lighter check forums i think all info avaliable.
Enjoy safe return home
Graham C
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 AM

Forza Italia - my experience over quite a few years top notch (Even Moto GB knows it.. Don't ask me how I know)

Very fair price for my 910R when it went in for 1078 so no complaints there either..

esq'z - "You might be surprised to find the Nissin master cylinders work very well. I would not call them inferior at all." +1 on that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode