Brutale 1090 Vs Brutale 1078RR (Ti Line & RACE ECU) [PICS!!!] - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Brutale 1090 Vs Brutale 1078RR (Ti Line & RACE ECU) [PICS!!!]

So, i finally test-drove the B4 1090RR today...
Many thanks to DAGECO - MV Agusta Distributors for Romania

They are the ones who delivered the new F4 2010 to my brother in Bucharest a few weeks ago.... here http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...=brother+happy

Before i start my report, let me first remind you about my relationship with the Brutale. species...

In a word, i fell in love with the 910R 2.5 years ago and still am. I ended up in a 3-some relationship when i also bought the 1078RR B4. I kept my 910R for TrackDays. So, one might say that i'm a real Brutalist

I travel every now and then to Bucharest in Romania where i have a Honda Hornet 600cc (i know, i know...)
...and again you should really visit Romania as i explained it some time ago on this forum http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...=visit+romania

To be fair, i need to emphasize that i'm actually comparing the

brand new 1090RR stock VS my 1078RR B4
with Ti Line + RACE ECU.

Looks**** 1090=8/10_______1078=10/10

for those who have never seen a Brutale before, the new 1090RR looks extremely good. The design is modern and will please the eyes immediately. My brother says that the 1090 looks exactly like the old B4 1078RR but you have to excuse him...he used to ride a Gixxar for more than 10 years before i got him to buy the F4 Y10 and he is still dizy from eating too much sushi.

I can understand what he is saying though...the 1090RR does look good. It's aggressive and sharp. But it just doesn't have that global timeless design line of the 750/910/1078 models.

To be honest, modifying Tamburini's master piece while hoping to improve it was simply NOT possible. A master piece is a master piece and cannot be updated.

Engine***1090=9/10_______1078=9/10
Now, again....please remember i am comparing my 1078RR with Ti line here. The thing is an unleashed BEAST !!!! i still get scared by the enormous amount of torque and the way the power is delivered. It is nearly uncontrollable but i dig it so bad! On track, the 1078RR will not let you twist the throttle properly until the bike is in an upright position...For my Track level, i'm having more fun on the track with my 910R.

The 1090 is powerful too but won't make you skidmark your pants. The torque is there, no doubt at all. It will pull wheelies as easily as a skunk would fart. However, it is VERY docile. The famous on/off throttle effect is completely gone...and i mean COMPLETELY. The throttle response is better or at least as good as any Sushi roadster out there.

I think on Track, the 1090 will be faster. While leaning, you can really control how much power you want to push over to the rear wheel. Also, during this test ride, i haven't gotten to the point of activating the traction control but i can easily imagine that more control as offered by the 1090 combined with its TC would only make me twist it even more while leaning.
The 1090 gears also a bit longer which adds to the docile sensation it conveys.
On the 1090, vibrations are also practically gone Vs the 1078. The engine is quiet and the pipes are civilized. It is now impossible to get your hands numb after riding for hours. You can also plan for long trips with the 1090.

Chassis***
1090=9/10_______1078=7/10
The 1090 has a much better equilibrium. It's still very agile but not as nervous + flickable as the 1078RR. The front wheel of the 1090 will behave and will leave the ground a tad later on a firm throttle twist than the 1078's. The 1090 chassis is more stable on long curves. It feels a bit like the new F4 chassis. Again, Tracking performance of the 1090 B4 must certainly be improved Vs the 1078 B4.

Fork is less harsh. The 1078RR's fork was already an improvement for road riding Vs the 910R. The 1090's fork is the same as the 1078RR but it will swing more and will fade road bumps better. Rear suspension is similar.

Braking performance is very similar. It's just that i didn't quite get the exact biting power on the 1090 as i did on the 1078...maybe because the 1090 i tried only had 600kms on it. Oh yeah, you know that whistling sound you here from the 910R's brake ? ...that funny "Tzzzzzzzzz..." sound very specific to the 910R's Brembo?...well, it's back on the 1090 and i dig it :-)

The 1090 is more comfortable. The seat is wider and fat asses like mine will find plenty of room. You can push your butt back very easily without feeling like you're sitting on the back seat. Again, on Track, one should feel more at ease here and the 1090 will less demanding and more forgiving. If you're riding duo with your better half, then the 1090 will be your first choice over the 1078.

Personality***
1090=7/10_______1078=10/10
That's where Sushi riders like my brother cannot understand us. The Ducati guys will get it though, i think.

The 1090 is nearly the perfect bike for the common roadster lover. But for those who know what a 1078 B4 is like, something is missing...OK, let me be completely politically incorrect but if the 1090 were some chick, i'd say she's not as fà&ckable as the 1078RR... The 1078RR is really hard-to-get and doesn't seem like it'd let you take control in the relationship, it will kick you off her back like a wild panther. The 1090 feels like an easy girl with great potential.
Riding the 1090 is a bit like tampering with The Incredible Hulk after he'd done 6 months of anger-management therapy. It's still very powerful, very torquy...but will behave and be more docile than a Honda Hornet. Personally, i don't like thinking about the Incredible Hulk like that. OK, i didn't say that the 1090 is like Bruce Banner but I want the mean green beast to be the baddest MoFo out there.
While i say that, i need to confess that the docile Hulk would most probably put out a better laptime than the angry Hulk. Actually, i know so.

I think riders coming from the likes of Yamaha FZ1, Honda CB 1000R etc... will looooove the new B4 1090.

Real Brutalists like me will still very much enjoy the new 1090 but the problem is that we're hooked with the old lady and her high maintenance requests.

Overall the new B4 1090 is a GREAAAAAAAAAAT bike.
It's simply the best roadster bike out there, period. It still looks stunning good now (...we'll see in 4-5 years ). The design is now a bit closer to what Yamaha or Kawasaki could come up with [...if they knew how to hold a pencil). The 1090RR is still an MV but dressed in a Kimono. You catch my drift...the 1090RR is a bit less "Italian" sort of like the Ducati StreetFighter some might say.

FAQs***
Would i trade a stock 1078RR against a stock 1090RR? Yes...but not 100% sure.
Would i trade my 1078RR Ti line against a stock 1090RR? NO...you crazy?
Would i trade my 1078RR Ti line against a 1090RR Ti Line? Maybe but I'll have to try it first. Maybe The Incredible Hulk would then be getting less docile again....
Would i be trading my 910R with RACE ECU + MV Corse exhaust against a stock 1090RR? Hmmmm...yes. But then i would use my 1078RR as my Track bike
Would i be trading a 910R Ti line/RACE ECU against a stock 1090RR?...Hmmm, yes. But my immediate next move would be to hook a Ti Line and RACE ECU on the 1090RR too.

The above lines only state my very personal opinion. I respect those who, like my brother, think the 1090 is a better looking bike than the 1078RR. I just recommend that they eat less Sushi and enjoy more Lasagna

Last edited by khameron; 05-24-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Khameron

Great review - many thanks

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Cool :-)
Glad to know you enjoyed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Established Member

Kham....
saw the 1090 a couple of weeks back, swung a leg over and had her between my legs, but....... was never tempted to cheat on my old lady.
pass the lasagna and keep pouring the Barolo!
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Aha...Freddy boy! Ya know exactly wha'm talkin' bout :-D
The Ti line got you hooked!

post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Established Member

Khameron, thanx for the great review. i think i'm in the minority, but i love the 990R...i gotta have it all red with those gorgeous star wheels...but every brute is mesmerizing
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

You gotta lov'em :-)
Look at my FAQs...i'd still get a 1090 if i could keep my other Brutes.

FAQs***
Would i trade a stock 1078RR against a stock 1090RR? Yes...but not 100% sure.
Would i trade my 1078RR Ti line against a stock 1090RR? NO...you crazy?
Would i trade my 1078RR Ti line against a 1090RR Ti Line? Maybe but I'll have to try it first. Maybe The Incredible Hulk would then be getting less docile again....
Would i be trading my 910R with RACE ECU + MV Corse exhaust against a stock 1090RR? Hmmmm...yes. But then i would use my 1078RR as my Track bike
Would i be trading a 910R Ti line/RACE ECU against a stock 1090RR?...Hmmm, yes. But my immediate next move would be to hook a Ti Line and RACE ECU on the 1090RR too.

Now a 990 Vs my prep'ed 910R? ...hmmm.

Last edited by khameron; 05-21-2010 at 06:40 PM.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Established Member

Ya, the Corse full Ti line / race ecu is what makes the Star-Wars-Millenium-Falcon-jump-to-light-speed-lights-thingie happen for sure.
That said, I'm still tempted to switch out the MV race ecu for one of those Microteks just to see if i can ratchet up the insanity yet one more level.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

same here regarding the MicroTek ECU...making The Hulk even more Incredible...i'm with you.

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
A great honest review Khameron...love it!! With a 910, I have been very tempted to look at a 1078 lately, and now you have just made me even more eager!!

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode