Catalytic Converter Laws in Oz? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Catalytic Converter Laws in Oz?

Can any of you other Aussies here give me the legal lowdown on removing my cat-con . I've been told a few conflicting things now, such as ' would be a million to one you get busted for it... ' to 'there's a $15,000 fine if you do get caught..."
Does anyone know the facts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Seaeagle46

I was checking on changing mine out and my dealer in Central Coast assured me last week that there is no issue. The cat is required by California Law, but due to manufacturing costs they leave as is for Australia.

He gave me a price for a MV Corse Header, ECU and Link Pipe of AUS $1,750 (excluding fitting). Lead time is 3 to 4 weeks from Italy. I'm thinking about it....

We can discuss more on Agusta Muster on 30th May

John

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Well that's good news mate. We should get Luke and DanT involved and do a group buy, we might not get a discount on goods but will save on shipping if we do it all at once. Let's look into it, i'm pretty keen. Love the old cans..alot, but the Arrow's looking better and better. I'll be getting an ECU sometime soon too, is that something on your agenda also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Yes, he told me I need a new ECU to stop stalling

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Established Member

If you're going for the above set up for the sound improvement, I get it.

If it's a performance improvement you're after, would installing a PC3 & having it properly tuned at MW be a better pathway?

I was quoted a real rough $1,100 for that work.

MS4RS
910R
CB600F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM

I wouldn't discuss this on the forum too much. In NSW each vehicle imported into australia has a compliance certificate associated with that particular model of vehicle. If you want to modify the vehicle from that compliance then certain things can be modified without any legal issues, such as suspension and engine performance within certain limits (can find out what these limits are on the RTA website).

Anything beyond those limits must have an engineering certificate issued for from a certified inspection centre. Note that removal of emmisions control (ie catalytic convertor) is a prohibited modification UNLESS the compliance for that particular vehicle did not include catalytic convertors in the first place. I would think that maybe the central coast dealer John M spoke of above actually has access to the RTA's database regarding what the compliance specifics are for our vehicles. If it doesn't include Catalysers then we are ok to remove them.

-odd for a newer vehicle like a 1078 though. I have a 2006 model year 910S, so it would be more believable for me, and less so for newer models.

Last edited by squibby; 05-16-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode