Is it worth upgrading the 910s to a newer model - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Is it worth upgrading the 910s to a newer model

HI Everyone -

As you know from my earlier posts I recently purchased a 2006 910s with 2000 miles on it. After a few weeks' ownership, and a discussion with the MV Agusta dealership, I may have to do some work to correct several issues. Among them are: (1) repeated stalling, (2) unstable idle (surges up and down), (3) weak battery - probably needs replacement, and several other minor, but annoying issues, possibly affecting the SKU or fuse box.

Although I've not had a firm estimate, from looking around this forum I'd estimate the cost in a broad range of $1,000 - $2,000.

My question is, is it worth doing the work and upgrading my current bike, or should I consider moving to a newer bike (910R after 2006 which supposedly has less issues) or even a newer 1078 or something similar?

I'm not displeased with my bike, but I'm just trying to decide how best to "spend" or "invest" the money while still keeping a MV Agusta in my garage. If the price of the work is about what I'd spend to upgrade, is it reasonable to consider that option, or not?

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Established Member

i'd go for a new 1078, which can be had for much less nowadays, or the new 990r or 1090rr, both of which are awesome bikes with none of the problems you are currently experiencing. my 2 cents. good luck.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 PM

How come you haven't fitted a new battery yet?

It's $100 and will probably sort all of your issues. When the batteries are dead on these bikes they do strange things (stalling being one of them). When my old F4 battery died, i had stalling, fan, dash issues. got a new battery in and it solved everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the battery heads up. It died during a MSF class with lots of low speed riding and lots of idling causing the fan to run quite a bit.

I have been charging it on a battery tender at home and it seems to be holding a charge well. I don't have the tools to properly check the battery, but when I drop it off for service it will be replaced.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Established Member

You can get a great deal on a 1078 right now, they are blowing them out at the moment.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 PM

+1 on the new battery. If you like the bike I would keep it for a while and work on getting it dialed in as you see fit. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Chris

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
I have been charging it on a battery tender at home and it seems to be holding a charge well.
I did the same thing. You charge it, battery looks ok, you ride it, bike dies. Very frustrating

Replacing the battery will at least give you some process of elimination and it's the cheapest option because you don't need to pay a workshop heaps of time to look at it. If that doesn't work, get another MV.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Established Member

I replaced my battery the same day I bought mine. It wouldn't even start the bike. Keep it on a tender for longevity.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 PM

I would keep it, fix it, get used to it. No matter what kind of great deal you get on a new one, it's going to cost you heaps more than you can get by trading the currrent one in. You'd have to deal with buying the bike, breaking it in, first service, and all that. Once this bike is running well, I think you'll be suprised how much you enjoy it.
I'm sure that your problems are very frustrating, but once they're fixed, and they will be, this time will be a vague memory. Good luck.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 AM

Hi Lencap,

If you go the later model Brutale, you will have fewer issues but you might need more than $1k or $2k. If you went the new 1090 you'll need a lot more than $2k but you will have a new/latest model bike. If I was in your position and had the money, I'd go the worry free path of a new one.
The other option is to bang a new battery in the 910S and see what happens, if all is good then good. If not, rethink your decision.

Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode